The Student Room Group

FOOD AND DRINK: The TSR Blast From the Past Championship Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
MARS BISC& WINS THE HEAT!

Man, it really does make all the difference when people get so passionate and have a wee love-rant instead of all the boring nugs-posts. I love hearing how much you loved particular products and your own anecdotes, makes the thread more fun for me to perpetuate than reading "....bisc...".

Incidentally my favourite were the Bounty Bisc& - I'm a sucker for coconut. I freaking LOVE it!

Pity it's gone now. Although, for the competition at least, it lives on!!
Reply 301
NEW HEAT!

CADBURY SPIRA versus GALAXY AMICELLI!

It's a real sticking point that these were discontinued. CHOCOLATE STICKING POINT! With chocolate sticks?

Don't get the joke? Fair enough, I give you the CHOCOLATE FINGER.
Reply 302
I'm not sure I like this thread anymore. At least with the others, if I got cravings I could go shopping. With this one I just have to be sad :sad:

Anyway, I'd also forgotten about the Amicelli and how amazing they were :coma:

Never tried the others, but I liked the galaxy biscuit fingers enough not to care.
Rooting for Amicelli to go all the way. Whenever anyone mentions discontinued food, these are the first things are think of because I loved them so much. I remember when they first started disappearing from supermarkets I would make my mum trudge around town trying to find them in all these obscure little shops.
Spira remind me a lot of twirls, whereas Amicelli are so much better than any of their late imitations. Therefore, I vote galaxy!
Wait...
Wait....

What?

The GALAXY AMICELLI ARE GONE?

I loved them! Kinder bueno-y silky insides, light wafery outsides.

Bring them back I SAY!
Amicelli, I think the gorgeousness of Galaxy chocolate might be alone enough to make me vote for it.
Amicelli! Every Galaxy product is yummy :biggrin:
Amicelli! These were the biz. I really miss them :frown: why did they get discontinued? They were genius!
Amicelli! They were DA BOMB and should be brought back.
Don't remember either but Amicelli look like milky-bar crispy rolls, and I'm a sucker for them! So I'm voting for them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by porridgeandrhi
Amicelli! Every Galaxy product is yummy :biggrin:

Indeed, every Galaxy product seems to have that same lovely creaminess in its chocolate - even the chocolate milk and the cake bars! :sogood: Cadbury's and Nestlé chocolate is never quite the same.
Reply 312
WINNER OF THE HEAT: GALAXY AMICELLI!

That's the first time I've ever seen Cadbury chocolate voted against 100%! This should be called the "me too" thread at times, because when the ball gets rolling nobody wants to vote for the underdog (even if the underdog IS spirals of cadbury chocolate!).

Galaxy Amicelli "looks like Milky Bar Crispy Rolls" because Mars makes them both - and used the exact same machine to make the pair of them! On a limited run, Mars tried out the "Galaxy Flutes" line to see if there was any interest in bringing back the Galaxy wafer lines, but nobody ended up buying it, and thus the Galaxy Flutes (and by extension, Amicelli) were doomed to failure.

So if you didn't buy Flutes, you inadvertently sealed the Amicelli's fate!
Reply 313
NEW HEAT!

GINO GINELLI ICE CREAM versus ROWNTREES SECRET BAR!

Long before Haagen Dazs, Ben and Jerrys or Carte D'or, if you wanted luxury ice cream in the 90s you turned to Gino Ginelli (and it's catchy "Gino, oh Gino, GINELL-EEEE!" adverts). They're often remembered for the "colour changer" ice cream spoons you got free with the larger tubs that reacted to cold.

But Gino is up against the Secret - one of the most unique chocolate bars in history. Thin strands of chocolate woven cylindrically into a tube-shape, and filled with dark, soft nougat, it's notable for being that "insanely fragile chocolate bar that came in a cardboard tray" inside the wrapper to protect it.

Which of these 90s classics needs to be saved?
Reply 314
Hmm... I don't remember ever having either of these.

I love colour changing spoons - I got my parents to buy nesquik cereal a lot when they had those... :awesome:
But I'm quite fussy when it comes to ice cream. I tend to be in the mood for something specific, and if we don't have that specific something, I just won't have ice cream.
Chocolate on the other hand... as long as it doesn't have fruit or nuts in it, I will probably enjoy it.
Oh, or coconut or be coffee flavoured...

Yep, secret can have my vote because it sounds rather nice :h:

Edit: But I would like a colour changing spoon :puppyeyes:
The ice cream!

AHHHH NOSTALGIC FLASHBACKS. I REMEMBER THOSE SPOONS D:
I've never been a huge ice cream fan, soooo... My vote goes to Rowntrees Secret :smile:
Reply 317
The gino ginelli ice cream...gotta love a colour changing spoon!
Reply 318
Okay, bear in mind you're voting for the PRODUCT, and not the spoon, here, people.
Reply 319
God that is a blast from the past. Gino Ginelli for the win. Only ever had the Mint Choc Chip mind, and to be fair - I have never had a bad MCC ice cream - ever the supercheap ice crystal stuff is decent - but nostalgia wins out.

Quick Reply

Latest