The Student Room Group

Funding A Second Degree In Nursing

I've exhausted all literature on the internet regarding this and can't seem to possibly find a solid answer so I'm hoping that the good nation can help me instead.

I currently hold a degree in Performance: Theatre, unfortunately before realising my passion and skills are more suited to nursing, to which I've been accepted to University to start studying in September.

I'm aware that I'm eligible for a means tested bursary and a non means tested grant from the NHS, however, I'm not sure if this will cover me for my time at University and placement.

I have unfortunately used up my allocation for a student loan on the first degree, but I'm aware of other second degree students who have received reduced funding from the student loans company.

Last week I spoke to a very nice/helpful lady at SLC who said that I would be entitled to a reduced loan and to apply for the maximum and submit the application anyway, as they would consider my circumstances with it being a medical degree, it's different.

However, I had a bit of difficulty with the online application as it wouldn't allow me to apply for the maximum loan as it said I was eligible to receive £0.00, so on to SLC again...

...This time, I spoke to a very rude/unhelpful man who just seemed desperate to get me off the line as he continued to tell me that I wasn't eligible for anything except a disability allowance (I'm not disabled and wouldn't be applying for that funding) he then proceeded to tell me that only medical and dental students could receive funding. I was confused, as I thought nursing came within the medical bracket....

:confused::confused::confused:PLEASE HELP!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Leoleanne

...This time, I spoke to a very rude/unhelpful man who just seemed desperate to get me off the line as he continued to tell me that I wasn't eligible for anything except a disability allowance (I'm not disabled and wouldn't be applying for that funding) he then proceeded to tell me that only medical and dental students could receive funding. I was confused, as I thought nursing came within the medical bracket....

He's talking out of his arse, as many SFE/SLC staff seem to.

Normally a person isn't entitled to most financial support if studying a qualification at the same level, or lower, than one they already have. In other words they are studying a BSc when they already have a BA/BSc (or above).

However, there are a small number exemptions, and these aren't just health courses. They can also include land based courses (e.g. town planning) and some others such as Youth Work.

If your course is NHS funded, the NHS will pay the tuition fees, but you should be entitled to a tuition fee loan anyway if this isn't the case.

So as a nursing student you are entitled to the maximum maintenance loan and, as far as I'm aware, allowed to apply for the NHS bursary.

However, If you do receive an NHS bursary then you will receive a smaller loan to make up for this (this doesn't mean you get less money overall).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by River85
He's talking out of his arse, as many SFE/SLC staff seem to.

Normally a person isn't entitled to most financial support if studying a qualification at the same level, or lower, than one they already have. In other words they are studying a BSc when they already have a BA/BSc (or above).

However, there are a small number exemptions, and these aren't just health courses. They can also include land based courses (e.g. town planning) and some others such as Youth Work.

If your course is NHS funded, the NHS will pay the tuition fees, but you should be entitled to a tuition fee loan anyway if this isn't the case.

So as a nursing student you are entitled to the maximum maintenance loan and, as far as I'm aware, allowed to apply for the NHS bursary.

However, If you do receive an NHS bursary then you will receive a smaller loan to make up for this (this doesn't mean you get less money overall).

You're a star! That's really helpful, thank you so much. Now, Any advice on how to speak to someone about this at SLC? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just send the online application anyway. Mine said £0 last year so i rang them and they said to send it and they will adjust it manually because it is for an exempted course. Everything went through fine and i have done the same for this year.

They'll send you the confirmation in the post after a couple weeks for you to sign :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by Bubble87
Just send the online application anyway. Mine said £0 last year so i rang them and they said to send it and they will adjust it manually because it is for an exempted course. Everything went through fine and i have done the same for this year.

They'll send you the confirmation in the post after a couple weeks for you to sign :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks so much, you've really put my mind to rest :-) when I get my laptop I'll +1 you both! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Just seen it confirmed TWICE by the official SFE advisor Mark Lee on the Ask Student Finance England forum, so I have it in writing from the authorities!! HA HARRRR!! :colondollar:
Reply 6
For anyone who searches this thread in the future. I got the full grant and bursary and the full reduced maintenance loan. It wouldn't allow me to apply for the maximum loan due to already having a previous loan, so I rang SFE and they sent me out an amendement form. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Leoleanne
For anyone who searches this thread in the future. I got the full grant and bursary and the full reduced maintenance loan. It wouldn't allow me to apply for the maximum loan due to already having a previous loan, so I rang SFE and they sent me out an amendement form. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to hear it.

It really is quite worrying that they have "advisors" giving such poor (totally incorrect) advice on the phones.

Oh, and sorry for not coming back to this thread when you quoted me. It (and the quote) must have got buried.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry to hijack your thread but is this the case for Radiography also? I will have a Law degree by then, am going to apply for Radiography with NHS bursary/free fees so will I be able to obtain more maintenance loan also?

Thanks for making this thread, I was going to have to live at home!
Reply 9
Original post by infairverona
Sorry to hijack your thread but is this the case for Radiography also? I will have a Law degree by then, am going to apply for Radiography with NHS bursary/free fees so will I be able to obtain more maintenance loan also?

Thanks for making this thread, I was going to have to live at home!

Yea it applies to any course which is funded by the NHS :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I was just wondering, I'm about to apply for a Nursing degree and am in the same position, I have studied an undergraduate degree before. Would anyone be able to tell me how much funding in general you can expect to receive? I can find information on NHS bursaries etc but can't find information on how much a reduced maintenance loan would be, can anyone help?

Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by FloraMc
I was just wondering, I'm about to apply for a Nursing degree and am in the same position, I have studied an undergraduate degree before. Would anyone be able to tell me how much funding in general you can expect to receive? I can find information on NHS bursaries etc but can't find information on how much a reduced maintenance loan would be, can anyone help?

Thank you!

It's a standard amount of around the £2300 mark (can't remember the exact figure) which gets paid in 3 instalments (Sep, Jan and April)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
you will get your tuition fees paid by the NHS and receive a £1k non means tested annual bursary. You can also apply for an NHS maintenance loan (I don't know the full amount, but I think it's about £4-5k), but this is means tested. I'm a postgrad taking a second degree and I get the reduced loan from Student Finance England of £2345 plus £1k because I'm in London.
So let me get this straght we Don't have to pay the £9,000 tuition fees that most other students do?
Reply 14
Original post by New- Emperor
So let me get this straght we Don't have to pay the £9,000 tuition fees that most other students do?

correct
Original post by lilibet01
correct

happy days
Reply 16
Hi, just to confirm. You already have a degree, so when you went to study nursing, did you have to complete the full 3 years, or did you only have to study for 2 years?
Reply 17
Could anyone help me? I am looking at all of the student finance etc. I already have a degree in Fine art which I was lucky enough to have self funded through my parents. I also did not take out a loan as lived at home.
This is 6 years down the line and was just wondering if now I am applying for a nhs related course (nursing) would I be eligible for the loans etc as I haven't previously taken one out? It is really confusing me and I also have dependants so its a decision that I cannot take likely.
Original post by amythack
Could anyone help me? I am looking at all of the student finance etc. I already have a degree in Fine art which I was lucky enough to have self funded through my parents. I also did not take out a loan as lived at home.
This is 6 years down the line and was just wondering if now I am applying for a nhs related course (nursing) would I be eligible for the loans etc as I haven't previously taken one out? It is really confusing me and I also have dependants so its a decision that I cannot take likely.

You may be, but not because you haven't previously taken out a loan.

Whether you took out a loan for a first degree or not is not relevant. All that is relevant is if you actually have a degree already, at the same (or lesser) value as the one you are applying for.

So normally you would not be entitled to funding.

However, most if not all NHS courses, along with a few other (usually vocational) degrees are exempt from these ELQ rules. Meaning people with first degrees are usually able to get funding (loan and, when eligible, bursary). Tuition fee support is still not usually provided, as far as I am aware, but for nursing I believe the NHS pays your fees for at least one if not all of the degree.
This has really put my mind at ease! I'm studying Health and Social Care as my first degree with a view to study postgraduate nursing later on, as Liverpool John Moores offered this option and I have to stay in the city. However when they removed the course I thought I wouldn't be able to do, what really is my dream degree anymore. I have so much confidence from reading this!

Quick Reply

Latest