The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oooh, yes of course I'm on that but I don't post that much. The "Anyone...?" posts are getting a bit annoying, aren't they?
Original post by rain on dry ground
Oooh, yes of course I'm on that but I don't post that much. The "Anyone...?" posts are getting a bit annoying, aren't they?

Not to mention the absolute dire trash that some of the people are talking about... :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is such a chopped up post but there you go:
I actually know someone from Norfolk which makes me feel unproportionately much less like a foreigner :woo:
:eek: A pokemon pillowcase? That is quite cool, even on its own.
What I love about Pixar is that you can see all the love they put in the tiny little details that make the film - they started research for Brave in 2006 or something!
Oh I don't think going "excuse me, I need to get back to my ivory tower" etc will ever get old :wink: I'm just a bit afraid people will think I'm a tourist, especially as I'm into photography and like to carry my big camera around with me :facepalm:
And that Facebook group is the weirdest thing. I've been part of mere applicants' facebook sites that have been more interesting and helpful in the I'll-know-some-people way!
Original post by Oromis263
Norfolk. A charmingly dull place to live, but it is pretty and quiet so not too bad, although my dad lives 10 minutes from Cambridge, which is sort of useful! :tongue:

Brave is so good... :colondollar: or wall-e... But that was my exact thought. So old now, got the awesome faded look... I even have a pokemon pillowcase but sadly the duvet cover for that was lost long ago. :biggrin:

Oooh, lucky. Cambridge is so lovely in the sun. I'm in two minds about the tourists. I know I will at some point get pissed off with them, but at the same time I kind of look forward to the 'get out of my way, coming through' or telling them to leave the private areas.. probably wont last long. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not to mention the absolute dire trash that some of the people are talking about... :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is such a chopped up post but there you go:
I actually know someone from Norfolk which makes me feel unproportionately much less like a foreigner :woo:
:eek: A pokemon pillowcase? That is quite cool, even on its own.
What I love about Pixar is that you can see all the love they put in the tiny little details that make the film - they started research for Brave in 2006 or something!
Oh I don't think going "excuse me, I need to get back to my ivory tower" etc will ever get old :wink: I'm just a bit afraid people will think I'm a tourist, especially as I'm into photography and like to carry my big camera around with me :facepalm:
And that Facebook group is the weirdest thing. I've been part of mere applicants' facebook sites that have been more interesting and helpful in the I'll-know-some-people way!

No way, haha. Norfolk people tend to never leave the county... :tongue:

And I'm the same! King's has its own dark room, looking forward to developing some of my films when I get there. :biggrin: I also quite like the idea of 'blending in' amongst the tourists too.

I have decided to try be a bit more cautious about 'making myself known' before I get there so I am avoiding posting on there, and have tried to keep my posts on here down. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously? That's amazing! Developing film (well, b/w. I haven't tried colour yet) is soooo nice&calming&fun. If St John's doesn't magically have one as well I need to sneak my way into King's :ninja: What camera do you use when you shoot analogue?
I guess that group is a bit too big to comfortably say hi to people. Really wouldn't want to be as exposed as S.H. but I think she likes it so heyho :P
No way, haha. Norfolk people tend to never leave the county... :tongue:

And I'm the same! King's has its own dark room, looking forward to developing some of my films when I get there. :biggrin: I also quite like the idea of 'blending in' amongst the tourists too.

I have decided to try be a bit more cautious about 'making myself known' before I get there so I am avoiding posting on there, and have tried to keep my posts on here down. >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, then perhaps they are. :/ I only had a quick look on the site to see if they had the prices, but didn't actually check availability. >.<

Ah well, thanks anyway! :smile:
hey guys im thinking of applying for human social and political sciences. Will probably get predicted A*AA but i will most likely get an E in my 4th AS. worth applying? or is it just a waste of one of my choice? thanks :smile:
Seriously? That's amazing! Developing film (well, b/w. I haven't tried colour yet) is soooo nice&calming&fun. If St John's doesn't magically have one as well I need to sneak my way into King's :ninja: What camera do you use when you shoot analogue?
I guess that group is a bit too big to comfortably say hi to people. Really wouldn't want to be as exposed as S.H. but I think she likes it so heyho :P

Yeah, it isn't something I've been able to try yet so I am looking forward to it. I have an Olympus OM1 and several lenses for it. I got very lucky through a friend. :biggrin:

Haha, yes. So it would seem. Not my idea of a good start but that's just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3268
Wait. Are you... :sherlock: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I may well be :tongue: not that I ever post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bulbasaur
Wow, I thought C3 in Jan was far harder than our C4 paper, so it's amazing that you got such a high score on it. I got 90 on it haha. Although I did try much harder for C4. I'd put them at something like 61 A, 68 A* given there was quite a lot of unusual questions. But we'll see in two weeks I guess.

Cool :smile: Well, largley human but there's quite a few aspects of physical i'm very interested in too - the geophysical processes relating to climate change, glaciology, weather systems and natural hazards and a few others too I think. There's just so much different stuff :tongue:

I think the C3 paper in January was just a really good paper for me, I got lucky with that. :smile: It will be such a shame if I don't get the A* after all because of C4, but oh well.
Do you reckon our June paper was harder than C4 June 2012? That was 63 for an A. (I also noticed that C4 January papers tend to have higher grade boundaries, probably because there are more people re-taking). Having looked at the C4 mark scheme again, I think I may actually get 4/6 for the binomial question, which puts my total mark up at 62ish. I may be looking far too much into it - it just depends on the boundaries now, we shall find out on the 14th when the boundaries come out.

Geography does sound vast, but it's a good thing- you will be able to find your own niche :smile: I met quite a few geographers on the Sutton Trust summer school and during interviews and they were all so nice, I am sure your course will be a lovely bunch of people! :biggrin:
Original post by Buongiorno
I think the C3 paper in January was just a really good paper for me, I got lucky with that. :smile: It will be such a shame if I don't get the A* after all because of C4, but oh well.
Do you reckon our June paper was harder than C4 June 2012? That was 63 for an A. (I also noticed that C4 January papers tend to have higher grade boundaries, probably because there are more people re-taking). Having looked at the C4 mark scheme again, I think I may actually get 4/6 for the binomial question, which puts my total mark up at 62ish. I may be looking far too much into it - it just depends on the boundaries now, we shall find out on the 14th when the boundaries come out.

Geography does sound vast, but it's a good thing- you will be able to find your own niche :smile: I met quite a few geographers on the Sutton Trust summer school and during interviews and they were all so nice, I am sure your course will be a lovely bunch of people! :biggrin:

I reckon you could still get the A* but it'll be close. It was harder, but not too hard. But we could all be wrong, just gotta wait for boundaries to be released now.

Exactly. And first year only has two exams :biggrin: which is very nice. Ooh were you on the MML one? I was actually there for geography so Im wondering whether I met you because I talked to a few MML people :redface: But yeah, very nice group of people, a few of which are actually going to be in my year from October :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I reckon you could still get the A* but it'll be close. It was harder, but not too hard. But we could all be wrong, just gotta wait for boundaries to be released now.

Exactly. And first year only has two exams :biggrin: which is very nice. Ooh were you on the MML one? I was actually there for geography so Im wondering whether I met you because I talked to a few MML people :redface: But yeah, very nice group of people, a few of which are actually going to be in my year from October :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, it's a waiting game now :smile:

Oh, I wonder how many exams first year MMLers have. I know some subjects like English only have exams in the second year?! Although that makes the second year hard as you have to go back and revise 2/3 of your degree in one go. Hmm, we could have met. :confused: I went on the MML summer school and stayed at St John's. That was such an amazing week, really wish I could do it again this year.
Reply 3272
Excellent, cheers! Are there any other cinemas in Cambridge? I used to go to the one in the Grafton centre,.but for years I've.been.going to the one I mentioned, so I don't know if the Grafton one still exists..

I went to see The Golden Compass there and it was my worst cinema experience because they didn't allocate seats so they let too many people in and loads of people had to stand at the front and sit on the stairs :eek:
Original post by Etoile
I went to see The Golden Compass there and it was my worst cinema experience because they didn't allocate seats so they let too many people in and loads of people had to stand at the front and sit on the stairs :eek:

We were talked to sternly for sitting on the stairs because they were more comfortable than the seats :frown: and they have all these priority seats that you pay more for, that are always empty - seems a bit wasteful!
Original post by Buongiorno
Yep, it's a waiting game now :smile:

Oh, I wonder how many exams first year MMLers have. I know some subjects like English only have exams in the second year?! Although that makes the second year hard as you have to go back and revise 2/3 of your degree in one go. Hmm, we could have met. :confused: I went on the MML summer school and stayed at St John's. That was such an amazing week, really wish I could do it again this year.

Good luck with it :smile:

I'd imagine quite a few because of the many different ways they have to test you. I never knew that about English though. It used to be 5 exams in year 1 of geography I think so i'm glad it's changed XD but yeah i wouldn't like to have to do 2 years in just a couple of exams :s-smilie: Yeah I was at John's as well, was a great week and sort of motivated me to really go for Cambridge I guess.
Reply 3275
Original post by Smaug123
We were talked to sternly for sitting on the stairs because they were more comfortable than the seats :frown: and they have all these priority seats that you pay more for, that are always empty - seems a bit wasteful!

The best thing is when the cinema is empty and then you can sit in the deluxe seats anyway :colone:
Original post by Etoile
The best thing is when the cinema is empty and then you can sit in the deluxe seats anyway :colone:

We were chucked out of them too, even though there was loads of room and those seats were unoccupied :frown:
Original post by Etoile

Always your first thought in a empty cinema... :colone: :sexface:

Or you just rebel and sneak up to the anyway, packed or not. O:smile:
Reply 3278
Original post by Smaug123
We were chucked out of them too, even though there was loads of room and those seats were unoccupied :frown:

Crazy! Cinema management :angry:

Always your first thought in a empty cinema... :colone: :sexface:

Or you just rebel and sneak up to the anyway, packed or not. O:smile:

Indeed :lol: although they are always in the middle and I prefer to sit right at the back as I'm a bit long sighted
I've only just worked up the nerve to go to the cinema by myself, sitting in the wrong seat will need a bit more time :tongue:
Good luck with it :smile:

I'd imagine quite a few because of the many different ways they have to test you. I never knew that about English though. It used to be 5 exams in year 1 of geography I think so i'm glad it's changed XD but yeah i wouldn't like to have to do 2 years in just a couple of exams :s-smilie: Yeah I was at John's as well, was a great week and sort of motivated me to really go for Cambridge I guess.

I suppose I would have quite a few exams, including orals :redface: Does that mean you still do about 5 modules in your first year but only get examined on two?
I am glad I was on the summer school on last year's results day because it took my mind off it and then we had a formal hall and a disco in Clare cellars to top it off and in a way celebrate. :smile:

Anyway, good luck with results, I am sure you will be more than fine :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending