The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IanDangerously
Looking at pics from tonights game on Facebook from the lads that went ... and I've realised I'm starting to get sick of all the pyrotechnics stuff. The odd flare here and there for a big game used to be cool but now it seems like it's every single week, totally taken all the aura out of it.

I'm putting the flares and smokebombs alongside the stupid Ken Barlow stickers, the card display mosaic things and the Stone Roses lyric flags as yet another go-to gimmick that has been run into the ground.

Never seen English fans pull of flares tbh. Just looks a bit ridiculous compared to the continental ultras.
Unless I had a brain fart, didn't the irish do one at Wembley when they scored against England This year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Is a bit silly for a friendly at Crewe

It's silly at most places. United fans let off flares in broad daylight regularly, smokebombs in pubs and on the concourse under the stand at a lot of away games and even did one on an underground train at one of the London aways back end of last season that caused chaos.

It's on the verge of becoming totally ridiculous if it hasn't already.

Original post by Zürich
Never seen English fans pull of flares tbh. Just looks a bit ridiculous compared to the continental ultras.

The only time it's worked for us is when City shut the lights out and did their blue moon rising graphic on the scoreboards and United lit red flares against the blue moon and ruined the effect. Most of the time one or two flares just looks pretty weak though.
Original post by IanDangerously
It's silly at most places. United fans let off flares in broad daylight regularly, smokebombs in pubs and on the concourse under the stand at a lot of away games and even did one on an underground train at one of the London aways back end of last season that caused chaos.

It's on the verge of becoming totally ridiculous if it hasn't already.

The only time it's worked for us is when City shut the lights out and did their blue moon rising graphic on the scoreboards and United lit red flares against the blue moon and ruined the effect. Most of the time one or two flares just looks pretty weak though.

Think its more to do with how you act once the flare is lit. I've been in crowds at Ajax with flares and literally everyone stands up and does a slow clap or a Poznan style thing. Even have fellas with microphones coordinating the chanting.

In England people just stand around awkardly and baffled about what they're supposed to do once they've lit the flare. Bayern lit one at the Emirates this season and it looked ****ing amazing because they ran with it and went ape **** once it was lit.
Original post by rohitbd
Everyone hates on Nani, but this preseason he has played 1 game and already done more than Valencia and Young and his stats were far more impressive last season than both of them even though he missed half of it through injury.

Great Goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4GZQyImAjA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LyYxo2Q-yQ

:rolleyes:

We should ban this word. Nani is better because he's the better footballer. Watch all three and it's obvious.
Luka modric rumours now
Reply 7586
Thiago, Fabregas, Modric, Gundogan... Moyes is trying really hard to show he doesn't want Fellaini
Modric is attainable, just not at the £25m price i've seen suggested we may bid.

Woodwards a cheap ass mofo. I know we are spending all our money on getting Ronaldo on August 8th but jeeeeez
I don’t get why so many people seem to think Zaha is not going to play a substantial role next season? We paid £17m for the kid and in united terms, that’s a fair amount of money, so surely he would be in contention for a first team place? (if not starting then surely bench at least) Would be extremely disappointed if this wasn’t the case, he’s had those sparks of brilliance on tour and in the championship, one’s we haven’t seen in a long time at united.

Januzaj looks good as well, just needs to be refined a bit but hopefully that will come with age, might be worth sending him on loan to a lower PL team for first team experience and getting to grips with the PL.

Also, is anyone else worried about what will happen in the goal scoring department if rvp doesn’t have another season like the last?
Original post by wannabeIBD
I don’t get why so many people seem to think Zaha is not going to play a substantial role next season? We paid £17m for the kid and in united terms, that’s a fair amount of money, so surely he would be in contention for a first team place? (if not starting then surely bench at least) Would be extremely disappointed if this wasn’t the case, he’s had those sparks of brilliance on tour and in the championship, one’s we haven’t seen in a long time at united.

Januzaj looks good as well, just needs to be refined a bit but hopefully that will come with age, might be worth sending him on loan to a lower PL team for first team experience and getting to grips with the PL.

Also, is anyone else worried about what will happen in the goal scoring department if rvp doesn’t have another season like the last?

Rooney and kags plus little pea

I don't think its to do with how much we paid for Zaha but the lack of experience in the Premier League which may be a problem for him. But we'll only get to see how well he'll adapt when he gets game which I think he will, ahead of our other wingers.

And Januzaj has already stated that he doesn't want to go out on loan but wants to fight for a starting position. I don't think he'll get many opportunities in the League especially if United buy a midfielder. Although I think he'll get plenty of cup games.

Our attack is one of our strong points I reckon. Even if RVP got injured we've got Rooney (I don't think he'll leave this season), Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck and Zaha (can play up front if need be).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
I don't think its to do with how much we paid for Zaha but the lack of experience in the Premier League which may be a problem for him. But we'll only get to see how well he'll adapt when he gets game which I think he will, ahead of our other wingers.

And Januzaj has already stated that he doesn't want to go out on loan but wants to fight for a starting position. I don't think he'll get many opportunities in the League especially if United buy a midfielder. Although I think he'll get plenty of cup games.

Our attack is one of our strong points I reckon. Even if RVP got injured we've got Rooney (I don't think he'll leave this season), Kagawa, Hernandez, Welbeck and Zaha (can play up front if need be).

I think the key with Rooney (if he stays) will be to hit form early in the season to a)win over some of the support although i'm not sure how far this will go after his repeated antics... b) to stop him from becoming the sulking little bitch he becomes when he's not playing well and hence not getting the game time he wants

having said that can't really see him playing for us after this whole bull**** saga despite what moyes says
If we can't score goals with Rooney, RvP, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani, Welbecks one goal a season etc then we have issues.
I think the key with Rooney (if he stays) will be to hit form early in the season to a)win over some of the support although i'm not sure how far this will go after his repeated antics... b) to stop him from becoming the sulking little bitch he becomes when he's not playing well and hence not getting the game time he wants

having said that can't really see him playing for us after this whole bull**** saga despite what moyes says

What I was thinking was if we can't play him upfront with RVP then play him in midfield. I thought he played well there last season and this could be more of an option especially if United don't buy a midfielder. Regarding the fans attitude towards him I don't think they'll forgive him but if he starts banging the goals in then they may start getting behind him again.

I don't see the point in selling him to be honest we won't be able to get a decent replacement for him anyway. And if we did then I can't see us selling him to our rivals no matter how much they bid for him. And not many teams abroad would be willing to buy him because of the large wages his on. So most likely outcome is that he'll stay whether he likes it or not.
Original post by jam277
Rooney and kags plus little pea

I'm not sure if Rooney will be there to be honest. Kagawa and Hernandez should be good enough though.
Original post by Tommyjw
If we can't score goals with Rooney, RvP, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani, Welbecks one goal a season etc then we have issues.

Lets not forget we had 19 different goal scorers last season so its not like we are struggling for goals
Oh good, we've moved onto our next unobtainable midfid target/

Moyes can suck a dick if Januzaj doesnt get a new contract.
Original post by Tommyjw

Moyes can suck a dick if Januzaj doesnt get a new contract.

I could keep watching that again and again without getting bored. That was some skill!
Reply 7599
Giggs and Carrick in CM again this season it is

Latest