The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Original post by henpen
Pretty much. A more direct way would be to differentiate the answer to problem 22, which of course is implicitly what you did.

Ah true.. my instinct was to try and get rid of the logs before I start doing any potentially grizzly DUTIS (though I thought I better get typing before someone else steals it :colone:).

I can't think of any particularly useful/interesting generalisations tbh, can you? The substitution unzipped the problem very quickly so it is isn't really anything new... hmm.. :dontknow:
Reply 2041
Problem 294**/***

Prove
ζ2(2)2=m=1n=11m4+m2n2\displaystyle \frac{\zeta^2(2)}{2}=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^4+m^2n^2}

I still can't really do any of Jkn's integrals, but I'll keep trying.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2042
Original post by henpen
Problem 294**/***

Prove
ζ2(2)2=m=1n=11m4+m2n2\displaystyle \frac{\zeta^2(2)}{2}=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^4+m^2n^2}

Oh how I love waking up to random problems like this! I'm wondering if you found the same nice 'trick' that I did (the method is reminiscent of Fubini's Theorem for integrals).

Solution 294

Changing the order of the series, changing that bases WLOG, adding and then separating:

m=1n=11m2(m2+n2)=m=1n=11n2(m2+n2)m=1n=11m4+m2n2\displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^2(m^2+n^2)}= \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2(m^2+n^2)} \Rightarrow \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^4+m^2n^2}
=12m=1n=11m2+n2(1m2+1n2)=12(m=11m2)(n=11n2)=ζ2(2)2 \displaystyle =\frac{1}{2} \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^2+n^2} \left( \frac{1}{m^2}+\frac{1}{n^2} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \left( \sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^2} \right) \left( \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} \right) = \frac{\zeta^2 (2)}{2} \ \square
Problem 295***

Suppose we have a closed contour γ\gamma in the complex plane. Then it defines an enclosed area. We shall define

S=12iγzˉ dz S = \dfrac{1}{2i}\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\bar z\ dz

To be the signed area enclosed by γ\gamma

Show that S is real, and that it recovers πr2\pi r^2 for a circle, show both signs can occur, and explain the significance of the sign.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2044
Original post by FireGarden
Problem 295***

Suppose we have a closed contour γ\gamma in the complex plane. Then it defines an enclosed area. We shall define

S=12iγzˉ dz S = \dfrac{1}{2i}\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\bar z\ dz

To be the signed area enclosed by γ\gamma

Show that S is real, and that it recovers πr2\pi r^2 for a circle, show both signs can occur, and explain the significance of the sign.
Consider the parametrization γ(t)=reit\gamma(t) = r e^{it} for t[0,2π]t \in [0, 2 \pi] which is a circle of radius r about the original. Using Cauchy's integral theorem, we know that this contour will give a general result for γ\gamma.

Integrating in the anticlockwise direction:

Hence S=12iγzˉ dz=12i02π(reit)(rieit) dt=r22[t]02π=πr2 \displaystyle S = \frac{1}{2i} \int_{\gamma}\bar z\ dz = \frac{1}{2i} \int_0^{2 \pi} (r e^{-it})(ri e^{it}) \ dt = \frac{r^2}{2} \left[ t \right]_0^{2 \pi} = \pi r^2 \ \square

Integration clockwise along this contour would return the value of πr2 - \pi r^2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
Solution 295

Consider the parametrization γ(t)=reit\gamma(t) = r e^{it} for t[0,2π]t \in [0, 2 \pi] which is a circle of radius r about the original. Using Cauchy's integral theorem, we know that this contour will give a general result for γ\gamma.

Integrating in the anticlockwise direction:

Hence S=12iγzˉ dz=12i02π(reit)(rieit) dt=r22[t]02π=πr2 \displaystyle S = \frac{1}{2i} \int_{\gamma}\bar z\ dz = \frac{1}{2i} \int_0^{2 \pi} (r e^{-it})(ri e^{it}) \ dt = \frac{r^2}{2} \left[ t \right]_0^{2 \pi} = \pi r^2 \ \square

Integration clockwise along this contour would return the value of πr2 - \pi r^2.

You didn't show S was real..? (I did mean for any smooth gamma!)
Reply 2046
Original post by FireGarden
You didn't show S was real..? (I did mean for any smooth gamma!)

CIT implies the contour we choose does not affect our result so long as the turning number is the same, is that right? And an 'enclosed area' sort of implies either a simple smooth loop either clockwise or anticlockwise (real in both cases) .I'm new to Contour integration, so sorry if that's completely wrong :colondollar:. Also, there are no poles so it's quite a simple case, isn't it?
Original post by Jkn
CIT implies the contour we choose does not affect our result so long as the turning number is the same, is that right?

CIT requires the contour to be within a domain where the function is holomorphic (ie, differentiable). f(z)=zˉf(z)=\bar z is only differentiable at the origin! Though CIT isn't really even applicable here, anyway. It would only tell us (if the function were holomorphic) that its integral would simply be zero. With the ideas of poles within the region bound by the contours, we would then look to the residue theorem; somewhat of a generalisation of Cauchy's integral theorem.

And an 'enclosed area' sort of implies either a simple smooth loop either clockwise or anticlockwise (real in both cases) .

The curve may be as pathological and windy as desired, as the only requirement is that the contour is smooth. Of course, the interpretation of "area" you get from such a curve isn't as straightforward as a simple curve, but then, the idea of "negative area" isn't new really - the same issue occurs for real integrals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Solution 271

We have Γ(z)=0tz1etdt\displaystyle \Gamma(z)= \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1}e^{-t}dt, so 0etlntdt=Γ(1)=ϝ(1)\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t} \ln tdt= \Gamma(1)'=\digamma(1). Now, using the fact that 1Γ(z)=exp(γz)z(1+zn)ezn\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}= \exp(\gamma z)z \prod \left(1+\frac{z}{n} \right)e^{-\frac{z}{n}}. We get ϝ(z)=limn(lnnk=0n1k+z)\displaystyle \digamma(z)= \lim_{n \to \infty} (\ln n - \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{1}{k+z}), which gives the result.

Solution 272

From the above result, we obtain γ=40ex2xlnxdx\displaystyle \gamma = -4\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^{2}}x \ln x dx. Again, if we let xln1x\displaystyle x \mapsto \ln \frac{1}{x}, we get γ=01lnln1xdx\displaystyle \gamma =- \int_{0}^{1} \ln \ln \frac{1}{x} dx.
We also have ϝ(z)=0(1exx1ezx(1ex))dx\displaystyle \digamma(z) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{e^{x}x}- \frac{1}{e^{zx}(1-e^{-x})} \right) dx (follows directly from the definition), which gives γ=0(1xex1ex1)dx\displaystyle \gamma = \int_{0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{xe^{x}}-\frac{1}{e^{x}-1} \right) dx. Letting xlnxx \mapsto -\ln x, we have the fourth integral. Considering 0(1ex11x(1+xk))dx=0\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{e^{x}-1}-\frac{1}{x(1+x^{k})} \right) dx=0, we get the fifth representation.

Solution 273

01011x(1xy)(lnxy)zdxdy=yyx010x1xx(1y)(lny)zdydx=01ylny1(1y)(lny)zdy=Γ(z+2)ζ(z+2)Γ(z+1)\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-x}{(1-xy)(-\ln xy)^{-z}}dx dy & \overset{y \mapsto \frac{y}{x}}= \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{x} \frac{1-x}{x(1-y)(-\ln y)^{-z}}dydx \\&= \int_{0}^{1} \frac{y- \ln y -1}{(1-y)(-\ln y)^{-z}}dy \\&= \Gamma(z+2) \zeta(z+2) -\Gamma(z+1) \end{aligned}.
Now, letting z1z \to -1, we get 0101x1(1xy)lnxydxdy=γ\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x-1}{(1-xy)\ln xy}dxdy= -\gamma.

Solution 275

Some complex analysis shows that 011(1xy)x(ln2(1xx)+π2)dx=1ln(1y)+1y\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1}{(1-xy)x(\ln^{2}(\frac{1-x}{x})+\pi^{2})}dx = \frac{1}{\ln(1-y)}+\frac{1}{y}. Hence, using γ=01(1lnx+11x)dx\displaystyle \gamma = \int_{0}^{1} \left( \frac{1}{\ln x}+ \frac{1}{1-x} \right)dx, we get γ=ln(1+ex)exx2+π2dx=exx0ln(1+x)x2(ln2x+π2dx\displaystyle \gamma = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\ln(1+e^{-x})e^{x}}{x^{2}+\pi^{2}}dx \overset{e^{-x} \mapsto x}= \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\ln(1+x)}{x^{2}(\ln^{2}x+\pi^{2}}dx.

Let me propose a problem, which is very dear to my heart.

Problem 296***

Consider a smooth manifold XX with an open cover n<n< \infty of sets {Xk}1n\{X_{k}\}_{1}^{n}, which are contractible. Assume also that π0(XkXl)m\pi_{0}(X_{k} \cap X_{l}) \le m, for all k,lk,l. Find an upper bound to the first Betti number of XX.

Original post by Smaug123
:biggrin: anyone can join this coven, but we insist that it remain finite…

At least, I have picked a nice substitute.:biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mladenov

Consider a smooth manifold XX with an open coven…

:biggrin: anyone can join this coven, but we insist that it remain finite…
Reply 2050
Solution 271

Now, using the fact that 1Γ(z)=exp(γz)z(1+zn)ezn\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}= \exp(\gamma z)z \prod \left(1+\frac{z}{n} \right)e^{-\frac{z}{n}}

This is incomplete. The point of this question is to prove (or not assume) any non-*/** theorems. 'Felix Felicis' produced a similar proof but deleted it when he realized that he had to prove the theorems. :tongue:
Solution 272

From the above result, we obtain γ=40ex2xlnxdx\displaystyle \gamma = -4\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-x^{2}}x \ln x dx.

We also have ϝ(z)=0(1exx1ezx(1ex))dx\displaystyle \digamma(z) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{e^{x}x}- \frac{1}{e^{zx}(1-e^{-x})} \right) dx (follows directly from the definition)

which gives γ=0(1xex1ex1)dx\displaystyle \gamma = \int_{0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{xe^{x}}-\frac{1}{e^{x}-1} \right) dx.

Considering 0(1ex11x(1+xk))dx=0\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{e^{x}-1}-\frac{1}{x(1+x^{k})} \right) dx=0, we get the fifth representation.

None of these verbal statements are sufficient for mathematical proof. :tongue:
Solution 273

01011x(1xy)(lnxy)zdxdy=yyx010x1xx(1y)(lny)zdydx=01ylny1(1y)(lny)zdy=Γ(z+2)ζ(z+2)Γ(z+1)\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{1-x}{(1-xy)(-\ln xy)^{-z}}dx dy & \overset{y \mapsto \frac{y}{x}}= \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{x} \frac{1-x}{x(1-y)(-\ln y)^{-z}}dydx \\&= \int_{0}^{1} \frac{y- \ln y -1}{(1-y)(-\ln y)^{-z}}dy \\&= \Gamma(z+2) \zeta(z+2) -\Gamma(z+1) \end{aligned}.
Now, letting z1z \to -1, we get 0101x1(1xy)lnxydxdy=γ\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x-1}{(1-xy)\ln xy}dxdy= -\gamma.

Looks right, but you're going to need to include some more details.. I mean, who in their right mind could follow that without pen and paper?

The integral actually began as a conjecture in 2004 (though it was immediately solved since it's not that hard) but the mathematician who came up with it was unable to prove it!

Also, it is not true for all complex z so either you have made a mistake or that's another crucial point you have left out. :tongue:
Solution 275

Some complex analysis shows that 011(1xy)x(ln2(1xx)+π2)dx=1ln(1y)+1y\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{1}{(1-xy)x(\ln^{2}(\frac{1-x}{x})+\pi^{2})}dx = \frac{1}{\ln(1-y)}+\frac{1}{y}

Some Galois Representations shows that xn+ynznn>2x,y,z,nNx,y,z0\displaystyle x^n+y^n \not= z^n \forall n >2 \land x,y,z,n \in \mathbb{N} \land x, y, z \not=0... you're going to either need to show your working or give the name of the theorem you are using. All you are essentially doing is telling us you can do it?

Sorry to sound like such a dick man, but if anyone besides you posted those solutions, people would probably think they didn't actually do it given the lack of detail.. also the satisfaction is reading someone's solution is in understanding something, or seeing how someone else did something. :tongue:
Reply 2051
Original post by Jkn
Oh how I love waking up to random problems like this! I'm wondering if you found the same nice 'trick' that I did (the method is reminiscent of Fubini's Theorem for integrals).

Solution 294

Changing the order of the series, changing that bases WLOG, adding and then separating:

m=1n=11m2(m2+n2)=m=1n=11n2(m2+n2)m=1n=11m4+m2n2\displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^2(m^2+n^2)}= \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2(m^2+n^2)} \Rightarrow \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^4+m^2n^2}
=12m=1n=11m2+n2(1m2+1n2)=12(m=11m2)(n=11n2)=ζ2(2)2 \displaystyle =\frac{1}{2} \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^2+n^2} \left( \frac{1}{m^2}+\frac{1}{n^2} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \left( \sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{m^2} \right) \left( \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} \right) = \frac{\zeta^2 (2)}{2} \ \square

My solution was much more clunky, it involved doing the first summation (via the infinite series for cot), then the second after a closed form for the first as a function of m is reached.
I'm not familiar with the content of Fubini's theorem or its discrete analogue. Why were you able to swap summation order? It makes sense intuitively but I'd like to formalise it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
This is incomplete. The point of this question is to prove (or not assume) any non-*/** theorems. 'Felix Felicis' produced a similar proof but deleted it when he realized that he had to prove the theorems. :tongue:

Well, we actually do not need this representation; I just came up with something else - integration by parts shows that Γ(x)=(x1)Γ(x1)\Gamma(x)=(x-1)\Gamma(x-1), and so, lnΓ(x)=lnΓ(x+n)k=0n1ln(x+k)\displaystyle \ln \Gamma(x) = \ln \Gamma(x+n) - \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \ln (x+k). It remains to be shown that (lnΓ(x))=lnx+O(1x)\displaystyle (\ln \Gamma(x))' = \ln x + O(\frac{1}{x}).
To this end, we note that (lnΓ(x))(\ln \Gamma(x))' is monotonically increasing and by the mean value theorem, we have ln(x1)(lnΓ(x))lnx\ln (x-1) \le (\ln \Gamma(x))' \le \ln x; the conclusion follows.

Original post by Jkn
None of these verbal statements are sufficient for mathematical proof. :tongue:

Apart from the integral representation of digamma, everything is pretty obvious, I claim. If needed, I shall compare the definitions.

Original post by Jkn
Looks right, but you're going to need to include some more details.. I mean, who in their right mind could follow that without pen and paper?

The integral actually began as a conjecture in 2004 (though it was immediately solved since it's not that hard) but the mathematician who came up with it was unable to prove it!

Also, it is not true for all complex z so either you have made a mistake or that's another crucial point you have left out. :tongue:

I missed those steps, in which we change the order of integration, since they are easily justifiable. Also, to make it more clear, we can use a substitution in order to show the last line.
Yes, the result is true for Re(z)>1\text{Re}(z)>-1; that's why we need to take the limit, and not evaluate the integral directly, though there is a way of doing it. I used a standard result from the theory of the Riemann zeta function to evaluate the limit.

And, just by the way, if you think that you will always be able to read mathematical text without a pen and paper, then, I dare say, you are completely wrong. Moreover, when the author omits the details, that one who benefits is the reader.
Original post by Jkn
Some Galois Representations shows that xn+ynznn>2x,y,z,nNx,y,z0\displaystyle x^n+y^n \not= z^n \forall n >2 \land x,y,z,n \in \mathbb{N} \land x, y, z \not=0... you're going to either need to show your working or give the name of the theorem you are using. All you are essentially doing is telling us you can do it?

Sorry to sound like such a dick man, but if anyone besides you posted those solutions, people would probably think they didn't actually do it given the lack of detail.. also the satisfaction is reading someone's solution is in understanding something, or seeing how someone else did something. :tongue:

Don't be that strict; I just thought, I could eschew some LaTeX\LaTeX typing.
I am going the have a dinner, and then I shall type the solution, which uses nothing more than some theory of Markov functions (The Theory of Analytic Functions by Markushevich is one of the best books on complex analysis):tongue:.

Apropos, the book I am currently reading goes like this: Theorem 4.6 Proof: Exercise 6; and so on.:biggrin: The author leaves even the crucial theorems as exercises..
Original post by Jkn

And, just by the way, if you think that you will always be able to read mathematical text without a pen and paper, then, I dare say, you are completely wrong. Moreover, when the author omits the details, that one who benefits is the reader.

This is true for a textbook, or a paper, but not for a forum devoted to this kind of exercise, for which people would like to see working in order to follow a solution more easily. Especially since the ability and level of mathematical exposure varies wildly across the users of TSR.
Reply 2054
Original post by Jkn

Solution 294-5

Hot stuff, man.
Reply 2055
Don't want to clog up the thread:

Spoiler

Original post by Jkn
Don't want to clog up the thread:

Hmm, a page with comments is actually a really bad design for a forum. It should be a directed graph - usually it would be a tree, although you could draw branches together in a single reply. You'd then be able to reply to a comment by creating a child node to it, and quote people by making the original post a parent. Then a single conversation could be tracked really easily - just follow the arrows, the first-created arrow first (that is, weight the arcs by when they were formed).
Pretty much agree with what Smaug has said, I can't follow some of the solutions on here and I would say I have more maths experience (but not talent!) than most on TSR...
Reply 2058
Original post by Smaug123
Hmm, a page with comments is actually a really bad design for a forum. It should be a directed graph - usually it would be a tree, although you could draw branches together in a single reply. You'd then be able to reply to a comment by creating a child node to it, and quote people by making the original post a parent. Then a single conversation could be tracked really easily - just follow the arrows, the first-created arrow first (that is, weight the arcs by when they were formed).

It sounds a lot like you want reddit:p:
Original post by Slumpy
It sounds a lot like you want reddit:p:

Kind of, but more flexible - I'm visualising something like the roots of a tree, stretching down, but sometimes meeting up and joining. Not just a straight binary tree, no meeting-and-joining.

Quick Reply

Latest