The Student Room Group

The Year 12 German Study Group

Hallo!

I'm taking AS German in September, and I've been searching the forums for a study group. I know there is the TSR German Society and several other similar groups, but I would to create a more specific study group for AS level. I'm hoping people will be interested, and we can share resources, ask questions, practice some German, chat etc

About me: I'm a newish member, and a keen linguist. I've recently done AS French in Year 11 and now I'm going to study German and Spanish at AS level in Year 12. My German isn't that great compared to French or Spanish, since I'm mostly self taught and I'm taking German as a private candidate. My exam board is WJEC by the way!

Resources/Things to do!

- Gut! - This a site full of vocabulary lists/games, ranging from KS3 to A Level. It is free when used out of school time.

- Quizlet - A site where you can create, share and study flashcard sets. They have games, and learning activities, with pronunciation as well!
Click Here to Join the Quizlet Study Group!

- Conjuguemos - Great for testing your verbs/tenses/grammar, with vocab lists.

Specifications:

- WJEC

- AQA

- Edexcel

Past Papers/Mark Schemes (if you're that eager!):

- WJEC

- AQA

- Edexcel

German TV/Radio:

- DasErste TV

- ZDF TV

- DieNeue (Radio)

- Ego (Radio)

I hope that's enough to get us started. Please sub to this thread, even if you don't wish to take part until revision time. And don't be afraid to join the study group. IB students and Year 11s and 13s are welcome to take part too!

Danke! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I'm going onto A2 level for German this year! But I found AS level really good, it was a big step up from GCSE level but once you get into the swing of it, your vocabulary naturally gets better anyway :smile: I enjoyed the topics we learnt and the exam went alright for me, it could have gone better, but it wasn't my worse! Good luck for starting German :smile:
I need to get back into my German.
Reply 3
Original post by mollyx
Hey! I'm going onto A2 level for German this year! But I found AS level really good, it was a big step up from GCSE level but once you get into the swing of it, your vocabulary naturally gets better anyway :smile: I enjoyed the topics we learnt and the exam went alright for me, it could have gone better, but it wasn't my worse! Good luck for starting German :smile:

Thank you! I'm hoping my German will improve over time especially with learning new vocabulary bit by bit every day or so. Good luck to you too, with A2 German. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sunfowers01
I need to get back into my German.

Join the club! I'm hoping a mass pre-study will help overcome a year without doing German since GCSE :biggrin:

10 new flashcard sets have been added to the Quizlet class, take a look everyone and feel free to input your own.
Reply 5
Original post by serebro
Thank you! I'm hoping my German will improve over time especially with learning new vocabulary bit by bit every day or so. Good luck to you too, with A2 German. :smile:

Aw yeah, it definitely will improve. I know so much more German now, than i did at GCSE :smile: aw thank you :smile:
Good luck with AS German(i go into A2 in Sep)-it'll be easier than you think(apart from the grammar haha)! My School subscribed to Kerboodle(really useful i think).I basically lived on leo dict and google translate,quizlet is also good and I also looked on you tube to improve my listening of certain subjects.Viel Glueck!!
Reply 7
Original post by Emerson_333
Good luck with AS German(i go into A2 in Sep)-it'll be easier than you think(apart from the grammar haha)! My School subscribed to Kerboodle(really useful i think).I basically lived on leo dict and google translate,quizlet is also good and I also looked on you tube to improve my listening of certain subjects.Viel Glueck!!

I've heard of Kerboodle for AS Spanish, so I'll look into that. And Leo Dictionary is very good!! Not forgetting good ol' google translate. I'll add them to the resources! Vielen Dank!
Reply 8

I'm going into A2 German too! I hope its not going to be so much harder than AS though! How did you find your AS exam? :smile:
Original post by mollyx
I'm going into A2 German too! I hope its not going to be so much harder than AS though! How did you find your AS exam? :smile:

Yeah same! The AS exam went ok-i messed up on the grammar test(cloze test) the test overall was quite hard i thought so i am not getting my hopes up too much for the results but i think the listening and reading could have been a lot worse! How did you find it? Good luck for Results day! :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah same! The AS exam went ok-i messed up on the grammar test(cloze test) the test overall was quite hard i thought so i am not getting my hopes up too much for the results but i think the listening and reading could have been a lot worse! How did you find it? Good luck for Results day! :smile:

What exam board are you on? Yeah same as me really, I found the listening the hardest but the writing was alright! and the reading was in between, but yeah i'm not getting my hopes up either! thank you! good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 11
I've just finished AQA AS German and going on to A2 next year, if anyone wants any tips or general help with AS I'd be happy to help!
Aw man i wish this was created when i did German AS :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by Tee Logan x
Aw man i wish this was created when i did German AS :frown:

same here:frown:
Original post by mollyx
same here:frown:

Haha are you also an ongoing year 13?
Reply 15
Thanks for all the input from those who have done AS this year, your help and support is appreciated so much! Good luck for those taking A2 :smile:

I've managed to grab some 90's style textbooks from the library sale. They're full of vocabulary lists, especially GCSE transition ones, so I'll create a few sets of Quizlet flashcards soon! Remember to sign up if you can!

Also, I'm currently in the process of putting together a collection of English/American TV shows dubbed in German audio, to be viewed via streaming. So, keep an eye on out!

Schönes Wochenende!
I was going to take German at A Level, but it looks like I'll be moving to Australia this Christmas, but I might still show up here, because I'm still interested in learning German (self-taught to GCSE level in Year 9 before taking it early in Year 10). I could still do a distance course, as I was intending to do so to begin with, as my current school doesn't offer any language A Levels for the first time this year.
Reply 17
Haha are you also an ongoing year 13?

yeah I am!
Original post by mollyx
yeah I am!

What board??
Reply 19
What board??

Edexcel, what about you? :smile:

Quick Reply