The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buongiorno
I suppose I would have quite a few exams, including orals :redface: Does that mean you still do about 5 modules in your first year but only get examined on two?
I am glad I was on the summer school on last year's results day because it took my mind off it and then we had a formal hall and a disco in Clare cellars to top it off and in a way celebrate. :smile:

Anyway, good luck with results, I am sure you will be more than fine :biggrin:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I actually have no idea, it might be 5. Funnily enough though the names of the exams are simply "Human Geography" and "Physical Geography", each 3 hours long. Whereas in years 2 and 3 they actually split them up into topics. What I'm wondering is where they assess you on all the maths and statistics because in the exams they only give you essays. Yet you can't really assess maths in essays... I guess this is stuff I'll find out eventually haha.
Ah yeah definitely, although I found out my results as soon as the day started :tongue:. You know, waking up at 6am on a rainy day in a cold room, anxiously trying to login to results plus on my phone, was probably the weirdest results day anyone has ever had xD The formal was good, although I didn't think much of the disco haha.

To you as well! :smile:

I made an oath not to join any "fresher" groups before results day because I felt that it would be tempting fate...
what mobile phone provider do most people use in cambridge?
Original post by natscigirl

This seems to have come up several times. There's really absolutely no consensus, I don't think any of them were really bad so just go for whichever is the best deal. I was mostly on O2 then switched to Orange, no probs with either though I don't know about 3G coverage as this was my pre-smartphone days!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3284

I'm with 3, its got pretty good signal
I was fine with O2 :smile:

I've been fine with orange/t mobile and O2. :smile:

Which college? And more critically, bio or phys! :wink:
[INDENT]hey guys im thinking of applying for human social and political sciences. Will probably get predicted A*AA but i will most likely get an E in my 4th AS. worth applying? or is it just a waste of one of my choice? thanks [/INDENT]

Original post by daalchaval
hey guys im thinking of applying for human social and political sciences. Will probably get predicted A*AA but i will most likely get an E in my 4th AS. worth applying? or is it just a waste of one of my choice? thanks

It depends how relevant the 4th AS is to HSPS. If it's not particularly relevant, then it might not be too much of an issue. If it is relevant, that might be more problematic. Somebody with more knowledge of HSPS might be able to give some better advice.
hey guys im thinking of applying for human social and political sciences. Will probably get predicted A*AA but i will most likely get an E in my 4th AS. worth applying? or is it just a waste of one of my choice? thanks :smile:

Don't assume it's an automatic failure - they asked me for four A-levels, and ignored the extras (which weren't maths-relevant), so they do ignore non-relevant ones.
Original post by Smaug123
Don't assume it's an automatic failure - they asked me for four A-levels, and ignored the extras (which weren't maths-relevant), so they do ignore non-relevant ones.

maths is my 4th AS which i will get an E in. so i dont think its THAT important.
Original post by Muppetmad
It depends how relevant the 4th AS is to HSPS. If it's not particularly relevant, then it might not be too much of an issue. If it is relevant, that might be more problematic. Somebody with more knowledge of HSPS might be able to give some better advice.

[INDENT]maths is my 4th AS which i will get an E in. so i dont think its THAT important.[/INDENT]

maths is my 4th AS which i will get an E in. so i dont think its THAT important.

Well, in that case it may not count against you decisively, particularly if you achieve good UMS scores in your other subjects. Is there any particular reason why you think you'll get an E in maths? It might be something your referee can comment on.
Do any of the music people on here know if it's important who the publisher of your copy the Well Tempered Clavier is? Some lists say you should have the ABRSM edition specifically, but the faculty site doesn't say any particular publisher... confused.com :confused:

p.s. AHHH I feel like I'm tempting fate by ordering anything off the reading list. Less than a week until the SQA results come out! *hides under a rock*
Reply 3294
Original post by SpecialKaye
Do any of the music people on here know if it's important who the publisher of your copy the Well Tempered Clavier is? Some lists say you should have the ABRSM edition specifically, but the faculty site doesn't say any particular publisher... confused.com :confused:

p.s. AHHH I feel like I'm tempting fate by ordering anything off the reading list. Less than a week until the SQA results come out! *hides under a rock*

My ABRSM Part II's kind of nasty, I had to copy all the proper markings out of a better edition... for the reading list I got an urtext, that's the most unedited. Advantages: foreword comes in German, French aand English. Yay language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oboe1994
My ABRSM Part II's kind of nasty, I had to copy all the proper markings out of a better edition... for the reading list I got an urtext, that's the most unedited. Advantages: foreword comes in German, French aand English. Yay language skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does "a better edition" mean the Dover one? Using up all my prizegiving Blackwell's vouchers is fun.
Original post by DJMayes
I made an oath not to join any "fresher" groups before results day because I felt that it would be tempting fate...

This explains why I have been so far unsuccessful in stalking you via the Pembroke Freshers facebook group :colondollar:
How was STEP by the way?
Original post by Lost And Confused
This explains why I have been so far unsuccessful in stalking you via the Pembroke Freshers facebook group :colondollar:
How was STEP by the way?

I think the only group of that kind I'm in is the "Mathematics Offer Holders" group for Cambridge which I thought was sufficiently conservative. :tongue: Your stalking may have more success in a couple of weeks time though as I will join the Freshers groups when I'm actually sure I'm a fresher. :lol:

As for STEP, I think it went well, thanks. STEP I went exceptionally well (8 full solutions and you are only marled on your best 6) but unfortunately that one doesn't count for Cambridge. STEP II got 6 full solutions although they're not all necessarily correct. STEP III got 3 full solutions and 3 good partials but the paper is widely considered the hardest STEP paper set so far - it even has its own "Hitler reacts" video. With this in mind I think I can get grades ranging from SS1 - 112 with the lower grade in III so I could be feeling a lot worse about it.

How about you? How did your A Levels/IB/Higher/Other Qualifications' exams go?
Reply 3298
Original post by wibletg
You get the living crap taxed out of you too... don't you? :tongue:

25% VAT -.-
Original post by DJMayes
I think the only group of that kind I'm in is the "Mathematics Offer Holders" group for Cambridge which I thought was sufficiently conservative. :tongue: Your stalking may have more success in a couple of weeks time though as I will join the Freshers groups when I'm actually sure I'm a fresher. :lol:

As for STEP, I think it went well, thanks. STEP I went exceptionally well (8 full solutions and you are only marled on your best 6) but unfortunately that one doesn't count for Cambridge. STEP II got 6 full solutions although they're not all necessarily correct. STEP III got 3 full solutions and 3 good partials but the paper is widely considered the hardest STEP paper set so far - it even has its own "Hitler reacts" video. With this in mind I think I can get grades ranging from SS1 - 112 with the lower grade in III so I could be feeling a lot worse about it.

How about you? How did your A Levels/IB/Higher/Other Qualifications' exams go?

Oh you mathmos... :L Sounds good, providing that I am still entitled to stay in a Fresher's group at that point :rolleyes:

Wow :smile: And is your offer 1,1 or 1,2 in II and III?
I know that Maths offers are harder because of STEP (probably why mathematicians don't like to tempt fate) but at least it's harder for everyone - so they should be (touch wood) more likely to accept people who miss offers? :smile: And that sounds to me like a pretty good performance :smile:

Okayish, I think :smile: I should get my offer (again, touch wood), but I should really be getting 3A*s and I don't think I've done enough... Long story short, the first exam was synoptic so I freaked out afterwards (unnecessarily) and made stupid mistakes in my following exams... But only a few (as far as I'm aware) , so I'm just distracting myself for now :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending