The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

A217 Introducing Religions

Hi,

Has anyone done this course yet, if so what can u say about it. I am studying an Open degree. Am combining Religion and Computing. Have completed Level 1 mostly in computing and propose to complete remainder in computing and religion.

Anyone else joining this october?
Reply 1
I did this course a few years back. Ive also studed AD317 Religion Today tradition, and modernity, AA307 Religion in History Conflict, conversion and coexistence and AD317 Islam in the west (all 3 which have are outdated courses now but I just graduated with a 2:1 this month). Out of all these courses, A217 is probably the best one if you want to learn about World religions and not go into all the sociology side. Its a crash course into 6 religions, although I would take some of the course with a massive pinch of salt as they do include some conflicting and controversial issues. Otherwise Its a good course, it touches on broad issues on 6 religions such as their history an development, philosophies and theological differences between them and within them (different sects and schools), scriptures and in a nutshell, what roles they play in the modern world. It is a very intense course but a very enjoyable one too, one that I would strongly recommend to people. Do not expect it to be like Sunday Church school or like School and College Religious Studies type, its far more intense then that and broad
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by mo110068
I did this course a few years back. Ive also studed AD317 Religion Today tradition, and modernity, AA307 Religion in History Conflict, conversion and coexistence and AD317 Islam in the west (all 3 which have are outdated courses now but I just graduated with a 2:1 this month). Out of all these courses, A217 is probably the best one if you want to learn about World religions and not go into all the sociology side. Its a crash course into 6 religions, although I would take some of the course with a massive pinch of salt as they do include some conflicting and controversial issues. Otherwise Its a good course, it touches on broad issues on 6 religions such as their history an development, philosophies and theological differences between them and within them (different sects and schools), scriptures and in a nutshell, what roles they play in the modern world. It is a very intense course but a very enjoyable one too, one that I would strongly recommend to people. Do not expect it to be like Sunday Church school or like School and College Religious Studies type, its far more intense then that and broad

Hi

Thankyou so much for ur reply. Ur so lucky u managed to study religion all the way. Like u said these courses no longer exist, and i really hope by the time i finish i can study religion. I really wanted do the MA in religious studies after. Wgich sadly again has been discontinued :frown:. I do hope they bring on more courses at postgraduate level. Thankyou again. And many congrats on ur degree.

Naz

Quick Reply

Latest