The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1120
Original post by SecretDuck
Yeah, school was better. So many memories and yet, I don't have a single good memory of first year (except the maths lectures as the lecturer is funny). I have countless stories of school that I can tell my future kids but not of uni, I'm afraid. Even going to club events might be overrated and that's coming from a long term dance music fan. Though in my experience, being sober among drunk people can be hilarious in the right context :smile:

Yeah, I don't really have any good memories of first year either. Pretty much the only one was a mate's birthday party, and the only reason that was memorable was because one of the guys got so blind drunk he, uh... **** himself. :lol:
Sixth form, on the other hand, I have numerous memories of. I still keep consistent contact with most of the people I know from there, but the same can't be said about uni. :/
And yeah, clubbing isn't really my scene so I feel I missed out a bit on that, but I remember from my times as a nondrinker the hilarity of watching drunks stumble over one another and trying to make garbled conversation. :tongue:
Original post by CJKay
Yeah, I don't really have any good memories of first year either. Pretty much the only one was a mate's birthday party, and the only reason that was memorable was because one of the guys got so blind drunk he, uh... **** himself. :lol:
Sixth form, on the other hand, I have numerous memories of. I still keep consistent contact with most of the people I know from there, but the same can't be said about uni. :/
And yeah, clubbing isn't really my scene so I feel I missed out a bit on that, but I remember from my times as a nondrinker the hilarity of watching drunks stumble over one another and trying to make garbled conversation. :tongue:

Clubbing is my scene :smile:
But I naturally enjoy club music and don't need to get drunk to enjoy it. Plus, alcohol makes me thirsty and dancing makes me thirsty. Not a good idea to be thirsty in a club. And I will be getting back home on a night bus so I need to be as sober as possible (a glass of wine would be more than enough if I have one) so I don't become a punchbag.
Bump.

Ducky you rebel
Reply 1123
Clubbing is my scene :smile:
But I naturally enjoy club music and don't need to get drunk to enjoy it. Plus, alcohol makes me thirsty and dancing makes me thirsty. Not a good idea to be thirsty in a club. And I will be getting back home on a night bus so I need to be as sober as possible (a glass of wine would be more than enough if I have one) so I don't become a punchbag.

Makes sense. :smile: It takes guts to go clubbing without alcohol, you are a braver woman than I. :lol:
It's not the music that I dislike personally, just the atmosphere in general. Sweaty, horny people everywhere. *shiver*
What are you studying at uni btw?
Original post by Malevolent
Bump.

Ducky you rebel

I know :tongue:

Original post by CJKay
Makes sense. :smile: It takes guts to go clubbing without alcohol, you are a braver woman than I. :lol:
It's not the music that I dislike personally, just the atmosphere in general. Sweaty, horny people everywhere. *shiver*
What are you studying at uni btw?

Only went clubbing once last year but it was only for two hours. I'm now going to go to a club event once every week and go without alcohol. I know it's brave but I'd rather be penalised by some people in the start by not drinking (but they are going to get so drunk that they won't notice that I'm not drinking and/or won't care) than being in danger when coming back home.

Economics, you? :smile:
Reply 1125
Only went clubbing once last year but it was only for two hours. I'm now going to go to a club event once every week and go without alcohol. I know it's brave but I'd rather be penalised by some people in the start by not drinking (but they are going to get so drunk that they won't notice that I'm not drinking and/or won't care) than being in danger when coming back home.

Economics, you? :smile:

You're a wise one. :beard:

I'm doing Computer Science at Kingston (cue the inevitable "your poor social life" :lol:). It's not bad, but in some ways I wish I hadn't rejected Queen Mary. :frown:
Original post by CJKay
You're a wise one. :beard:

I'm doing Computer Science at Kingston (cue the inevitable "your poor social life" :lol:). It's not bad, but in some ways I wish I hadn't rejected Queen Mary. :frown:

I didn't make a real effort last year - that's why I didn't make any friends. I isolated myself after that horrible experience and that shouldn't have been done.

Ah, I'm thinking of working then self-funding a CompSci degree for fun. I looked at the course content in unis with ABB-AAB requirements and I like what I see. I don't want to do law or a masters degree in Economics. Plus, I may not get a 2.1 in Economics - then, what?
Reply 1127
I didn't make a real effort last year - that's why I didn't make any friends. I isolated myself after that horrible experience and that shouldn't have been done.

Ah, I'm thinking of working then self-funding a CompSci degree for fun. I looked at the course content in unis with ABB-AAB requirements and I like what I see. I don't want to do law or a masters degree in Economics. Plus, I may not get a 2.1 in Economics - then, what?

I s'pose neither did I really, but I came out with slightly more luck than you in that one or two of my mates from sixth form, so I kind of got by on that. Be fair to yourself though, if they treated you like that I wouldn't call them friends at all, and you'd end up doing what I did all through secondary school and just secretly disliking your "friends" as you let them continue to abuse you lol. Besides, you have Julie don't you!? :colone:

Oh cool, it's nice to see CompSci and fun in the same sentence for once - most people go into it in the hope that they sail into a big industry and win big salaries by default. :/
Are you a programmer already or looking to learn?
Original post by CJKay
I s'pose neither did I really, but I came out with slightly more luck than you in that one or two of my mates from sixth form, so I kind of got by on that. Be fair to yourself though, if they treated you like that I wouldn't call them friends at all, and you'd end up doing what I did all through secondary school and just secretly disliking your "friends" as you let them continue to abuse you lol. Besides, you have Julie don't you!? :colone:

Oh cool, it's nice to see CompSci and fun in the same sentence for once - most people go into it in the hope that they sail into a big industry and win big salaries by default. :/
Are you a programmer already or looking to learn?

Julie is not in my course :frown:
But I see her often because she usually skips classes to see me. Tbf it was a small group who left me there - the others went home probably because the event was boring to them.

I'm not looking for CompSci for money. I was always told that what degree you have doesn't matter a few years down the line and employers only focus on your experience. I mod games but never touched any programming language so I'm looking to learn. It's just going to be for fun if I still want to do it for fun by that time. Won't give me any advantage in applying for jobs either way. It's just a

Spoiler

thing.
Reply 1129
Julie is not in my course :frown:
But I see her often because she usually skips classes to see me. Tbf it was a small group who left me there - the others went home probably because the event was boring to them.

I'm not looking for CompSci for money. I was always told that what degree you have doesn't matter a few years down the line and employers only focus on your experience. I mod games but never touched any programming language so I'm looking to learn. It's just going to be for fun if I still want to do it for fun by that time. Won't give me any advantage in applying for jobs either way. It's just a

Spoiler

thing.

Yeah, they pretty much told you right. It's a lucrative industry and if you can prove your worth you can network with just about anybody. If you need any programming help just give me a shout though. :cool:
Any idea what you wanna do after uni if you don't take up compsci?
Original post by CJKay
Yeah, they pretty much told you right. It's a lucrative industry and if you can prove your worth you can network with just about anybody. If you need any programming help just give me a shout though. :cool:
Any idea what you wanna do after uni if you don't take up compsci?

Exactly :yep:

I don't know yet - there are so many options. I'm hoping something technology-based though :bigsmile:
Reply 1131
Exactly :yep:

I don't know yet - there are so many options. I'm hoping something technology-based though :bigsmile:

I feel so geeky discussing the lucrative technology industry. :pierre:
People are gonna stumble onto this thread and think "well this is just pages and pages of nonsense and... hah! Nerds!".
Made worse by the fact that, despite how hard I try to keep this conversation going, I woke up at 2am today after trying to fix my really bad sleeping pattern and now I'm just falling asleep in the middle of sentenfsnfknlmgw[pwp'[l';goodnight
Original post by CJKay
I feel so geeky discussing the lucrative technology industry. :pierre:
People are gonna stumble onto this thread and think "well this is just pages and pages of nonsense and... hah! Nerds!".
Made worse by the fact that, despite how hard I try to keep this conversation going, I woke up at 2am today after trying to fix my really bad sleeping pattern and now I'm just falling asleep in the middle of sentenfsnfknlmgw[pwp'[l';goodnight

Goodnight :goodnight:

My phone's battery is now 9% :colone:
Reply 1133
Goodnight :goodnight:

My phone's battery is now 9% :colone:

Oh you're on of those people that uses their phone for TSR. >_>
The Android app is SO BAD. :mad:
Original post by CJKay
Oh you're on of those people that uses their phone for TSR. >_>
The Android app is SO BAD. :mad:

The iphone one is bad too :frown:
I'm guessing a mobile site is off the cards...
Original post by thoyub
What's this?

Ghost thread - spam excuse :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1137
Original post by JulietheCat
Ghost thread - spam excuse :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, Ok. Thanks!
Reply 1138
The iphone one is bad too :frown:
I'm guessing a mobile site is off the cards...

I guess so. :frown:
Oh well, I'm goin' to bed to dream about a mobile version of TSR. :rolleyes:

G'night! (I'll be here all week :ahee:)
Original post by CJKay
I guess so. :frown:
Oh well, I'm goin' to bed to dream about a mobile version of TSR. :rolleyes:

G'night! (I'll be here all week :ahee:)

Goodnight! :h:

Just realised that it was supposed to be:

Penguin on a futon...doo de doo doo de doo...

:penguin:

Latest