The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Painfully unfunny. Pretty much sums up why I have no interest in Eminem post-2002, he's an embarrassment when he tries to be funny.

He should have just given up after Lose Yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Wilfred Little
Painfully unfunny. Pretty much sums up why I have no interest in Eminem post-2002, he's an embarrassment when he tries to be funny.

Is that why he's sold 100 million albums?
Original post by Kiss
Is that why he's sold 100 million albums?

What do record sales have to do with anything?

Some of the greatest bands and albums of all time never had much commercial success (Velvet Underground & Nico, Trout Mask Replica to name two), does this mean the music is bad?

Everything he's done since Lose Yourself has been extremely poor. I like some of his earlier stuff.
What do record sales have to do with anything?

Some of the greatest bands and albums of all time never had much commercial success (Velvet Underground & Nico, Trout Mask Replica to name two), does this mean the music is bad?

Everything he's done since Lose Yourself has been extremely poor. I like some of his earlier stuff.

Why are they the greatest bands and albums? Because you said so? Because some edgy music forum says so?
Reply 5
Original post by Miracle Day
Why are they the greatest bands and albums? Because you said so? Because some edgy music forum says so?

You can't deny that The Velvet Underground & Nico was a hugely influential album.

You haven't heard them have you?
You haven't heard them have you?

Nope.

But you still didn't answer my question.
Reply 8

No way. He's made many, many great songs post 2002. Slim shady days were really good though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope.

They are both critically acclaimed landmark recordings of experimental Rock, there was nothing like them before, if you haven't even heard them I'm not sure why you're trying to kick off.
Reply 10

Post 2002? Encore was a good piece of solid album couz. Post that I can understand........
Nope.

You can't expect someone to definitively answer the question 'what makes good music/art', but surely you agree that selling more records isn't a good indicator of 'good music'? If there is any objectivity in music, good music isn't necessarily popular music.

Why would the ketchup song or the cheeky girls song or justin beiber (etc etc) have gotten in to the top ten if popularity is quality?

Its definitely a skill to make a song successful commercially, but to make a song memorable on first listening usually means making a simple and repetitive hook and keeping the complexity to a minimum. If every artist went solely for commercial success, the industry would be massively impoverished.
Original post by 419
Post 2002? Encore was a good piece of solid album couz. Post that I can understand........

I liked Like Toy Soldiers since you mentioned Encore, forgot about that. I've gone through my iTunes and I thought his verse on No Love was pretty good too. But when he tries to be a comedian, I groan.
Reply 13
Goooooooo Gerbil Gooooo !

[video="youtube;V_N4IOfMPYc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_N4IOfMPYc[/video]
Original post by T-o dore
You can't expect someone to definitively answer the question 'what makes good music/art', but surely you agree that selling more records isn't a good indicator of 'good music'? If there is any objectivity in music, good music isn't necessarily popular music.

Why would the ketchup song or the cheeky girls song or justin beiber (etc etc) have gotten in to the top ten if popularity is quality?

Its definitely a skill to make a song successful commercially, but to make a song memorable on first listening usually means making a simple and repetitive hook and keeping the complexity to a minimum. If every artist went solely for commercial success, the industry would be massively impoverished.

So if an avid Justin Bieber fan listens to these 'objectively good' artists, they'd without a doubt like them?
Reply 15
Eminem completely sucks post Marshal Mathers LP
Reply 16

Record sales have no links to the quality of music. Its a myth if you can even call it that. Record sales are driven by so many other factors outside of the quality of music. For example, marketing can also drive sales. Just look at Daft Punk. As good as there music is, they sold so many copies of their new album because of the marketing before its release.
Reply 17
So if an avid Justin Bieber fan listens to these 'objectively good' artists, they'd without a doubt like them?

No because the person can no longer think clearly for themselves as half their brain cells are dead from listening to Bieber.
I hate Eminem trying to be funny. Pretty much everything he does now is crap anyway.
Reply 19
Stop trying to be so hipster and accept that Eminem still makes good music. Relapse was funny and you'd only disagree if you get butt hurt easy.

Latest