The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

I'm so fed up. Some friends are claiming I'm having sever disconnection from God because I'm not attending church. Heck, if there even was a good church to attend!
Original post by FinnLassie
I'm so fed up. Some friends are claiming I'm having sever disconnection from God because I'm not attending church. Heck, if there even was a good church to attend!

Are these CU friends? Coz God really is NOT limited to a religious building. Take it from someone who knows :p:
Original post by AtomicTheory
Wagner is great, but heatwave is vile :frown: I woke up at 7, after going to sleep at 1 and waking up at 2, 4, half 5, 6...

I listened to the last Wagner Prom while I had a bath in the bath. Bliss.

Original post by navarre
Just love those verses. Jesus is telling us to chill out, that our earthly troubles are tiny compared to how God looks after us. I also love it when Jesus says 'Which of you, by worrying, can grow an inch?' It's just a very good way of saying that worrying achieves nothing.

Or, to put it another way, "if you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle!"

And now for something completely different. Well, not completely. But very. And wise. Now for something wise!

"[...]Christ, who constantly waits with eagerness to help us, will give you His grace and His strength to transform sorrow into joy, into love for our fellows and worship of Him. Thus darkness will flee. Remember Saint Paul. What did he say? Now I rejoice in my sufferings. - Elder Porphyrios

Revelation is often more comforting than people expect it to be - "and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes" and so on.

Original post by FinnLassie

"A person can become a saint anywhere. [...] At your work, whatever it may be, you can become saints - through meekness, patience and love." - Elder Porphyrios (again, because I am something of a fan!)

I can recommend having a bit of a pray! It helps me when I'm glum at all. Orthodox Tradition teaches that repeating a short, simple prayer frequently can be useful. The commonest one in its commonest form is the Jesus Prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." The frequent repetition of that prayer is, in turn, closely linked to the idea of theosis and prayer of the heart, but that's a story for another day.

Hope you're not feeling too disconnected. He's there, waiting for us all. Admittedly, He's waiting outside the bounds of space and time, which can make these things difficult, but He's there. Wherever that is. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OurSeaBee
I listened to the last Wagner Prom while I had a bath in the bath. Bliss.

Or, to put it another way, "if you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle!"

And now for something completely different. Well, not completely. But very. And wise. Now for something wise!

"[...]Christ, who constantly waits with eagerness to help us, will give you His grace and His strength to transform sorrow into joy, into love for our fellows and worship of Him. Thus darkness will flee. Remember Saint Paul. What did he say? Now I rejoice in my sufferings. - Elder Porphyrios

Revelation is often more comforting than people expect it to be - "and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes" and so on.

"A person can become a saint anywhere. [...] At your work, whatever it may be, you can become saints - through meekness, patience and love." - Elder Porphyrios (again, because I am something of a fan!)

I can recommend having a bit of a pray! It helps me when I'm glum at all. Orthodox Tradition teaches that repeating a short, simple prayer frequently can be useful. The commonest one in its commonest form is the Jesus Prayer, "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner." The frequent repetition of that prayer is, in turn, closely linked to the idea of theosis and prayer of the heart, but that's a story for another day.

Hope you're not feeling too disconnected. He's there, waiting for us all. Admittedly, He's waiting outside the bounds of space and time, which can make these things difficult, but He's there. Wherever that is. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM. Great post! Except for the Wagner love :hmmm:

:p:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
PRSOM. Great post! Except for the Wagner love :hmmm:

:p:

Why thank you!:colondollar:

What does PRSOM mean?

Now, Wagner was good at what he did, and what he did was write fantastic operas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does PRSOM mean?

Now, Wagner was good at what he did, and what he did was write fantastic operas!

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM is an acronym for "Please Rate Some Other Member". You know, that ****ing annoying message that comes up when you try to rep someone you've already repped :emo:

Oh I know, don't get me wrong. I think I'm still a bit traumatised by my Ring experience. I was at the Royal Albert Hall for about 20 hours listening to the whole of the Ring cycle in the auditorium, as well as Tristan und Isolde. Much preferred the latter :yep:
Is it "Positively Rambunctious Stallion Outside, Madam"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it "Positively Rambunctious Stallion Outside, Madam"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek: :teehee: :eek:

You saw straight through my lies :emo:

:ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Monty Python :woo:

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does PRSOM mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you mean music dramas :tongue:

I actually got chastised once for calling Das Rheingold an opera. Seriously.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Monty Python :woo:

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly not give the world a good philosopher's football team that's for sure.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Certainly not give the world a good philosopher's football team that's for sure.

So, are we the Judean People's Front, the People's Front of Judea or the Popular Front of Judea?
So, are we the Judean People's Front, the People's Front of Judea or the Popular Front of Judea?

Neither, nor are we any longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing! If that does not work then we shall be LUMBERJACKS who work all day and sleep all night.

We can even have buttered scones on Wednesdays :awesome:
Neither, nor are we any longer the knights who say ni! We are now the knights who say ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing! If that does not work then we shall be LUMBERJACKS who work all day and sleep all night.

We can even have buttered scones on Wednesdays :awesome:

"You must bring us...another shrubbery!"
"And now you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with...... a herring!"
Are you saying "ni" to that old woman?

Has anybody told me what PRSOM means yet? Pontifical Robe Stained Outside Manchester? Pious Rasophore Stupidly Ousted Mugabe?

Albatross! Albatross!

Posted from TSR Mobile
"You must bring us...another shrubbery!"
"And now you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with...... a herring!"

"There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not”. So as a Christian agnostic I say, give me the herring b**** :sly:

Are you saying "ni" to that old woman?

Albatross! Albatross!

Spoiler

Also TLG said it was "Please Rate Some Other Member" :yep: Which is irksome when people are consistently smrt.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ooh, shiny new thread. How fancy, and with a very droll title :biggrin: I'm thanking the Lord today for a lovely holiday with my family and girlfriend, and more importantly my brother's safe return from a gap year in central america :smile:

Finn, don't be fed up. In Matthew 6 Jesus tells us to pray alone and in secret, not to make a big deal out of it.
"There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not”. So as a Christian agnostic I say, give me the herring b**** :sly:

Tut tut tut - is that swear filter avoidance I see? :tongue:

just fyi, bitch isn't in the swear filter. See. But if it were I'd have to edit and alert/warn for not censoring the full word :yep:

Also TLG said it was "Please Rate Some Other Member" :yep: Which is irksome when people are consistently smrt.

Tut tut tut - is that swear filter avoidance I see?

just fyi, bitch isn't in the swear filter. See.

I know but alas, all my Christian friends douse themselves with holy water if they hear it outside of a dog context :rolleyes: Just making sure not to offend anyone.

You know I keep forgetting that's in the series, all those months of playing 'Simpsons Hit and Run' has seemingly corrupted my brain.
I know but alas, all my Christian friends douse themselves with holy water if they hear it outside of a dog context :rolleyes: Just making sure not to offend anyone.

You know I keep forgetting that's in the series, all those months of playing 'Simpsons Hit and Run' has seemingly corrupted my brain.

Ah ok then. But how do you know I'm not a hyper intelligent female dog? :holmes:

Ah, I loved that game. Very tempted to find a copy - t'was released on PC right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending