The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

foundation physics manchester uni

Hi, does anyone know what the chances are of getting onto the physics course at manchester uni after completing the integrated foundation year? I've currently got an offer of 3 B's which I was well chuffed about! But I ran into a friend who studied the foundation year and said its very difficult to get onto physics after it, is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I've also applied for the physics foundation year and have put it as my insurance choice (Swansea physics *proper* course is firm), but atm I'd rather go to Manchester!

What's the difficulty of maths and physics in the super units? Is it everything we've learned at AS and A level?

Thanks,
James.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Voltozonic
Yeah unfortunately it seems to get harder every year too.

I'm here at the moment going onto Engineering.

Basically there are 12 modules you sit on the foundation year and they are grouped into sets of 3 called Super Units.

So for Physics there are:

3 Maths Modules in Super Unit 1
3 Physics Modules in Super Unit 2
2 Maths and 1 Physics Modules in Super Unit 3
Academic Skills, A Project and ICT in Super Unit 4.

To get onto Physics you need to get a 75% average in Super Units 1,2,3 and 70% on Unit 4.

It's hard but it is possible. I was intending to go to Physics at the start of the year but changed my mind to Engineering which if you compare, only requires 60%,50%,60%,50% in Super Units 1,2,3,4.

It's so high for Physics because Physics at the University of Manchester has become like A*A*A for 2013 entry.

It is definitely possible to get into Physics however, but you really would need to work hard the entire year. The chances are of you getting in are set by you, but the foundation studies department are fully aware that a lot of people who intend on going to Physics wont actually end up going there. A lot get transferred to other courses like Engineering based on their marks.

Feel free to ask me other questions.

Hey thanks for your reply, its cleared up a lot of things. Also, do you know roughly the percentage that manage to make it to physics? I've got an offer from University of Liverpool of ABB for the 3 year course. Hmmm unsure of what to do
Thanks for your reply!!

I actually like the sound of there being some undergrad work. I'm more relaxed now about what to expect, so thanks! :smile:

Are most people around sixth form age? Or are there loads of older people too? Bit of a random question, just wondering really!

Also...how much practical work did you do? At AS level I hated the mechanics practicals, such as ticker tape and trolleys etc. :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dangermouse1
Hi, does anyone know what the chances are of getting onto the physics course at manchester uni after completing the integrated foundation year? I've currently got an offer of 3 B's which I was well chuffed about! But I ran into a friend who studied the foundation year and said its very difficult to get onto physics after it, is this true?

Hey, I'm on the foundation year now and hoping to progress to physics next year. What Voltozonic said is pretty much all correct. Feel free to ask questions :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JuliusDS92
Hey, I'm on the foundation year now and hoping to progress to physics next year. What Voltozonic said is pretty much all correct. Feel free to ask questions :smile:

hi! I'm doing my exams at the moment, and they're not going brilliantly. Do you know anybody thats gotten onto the foundation course with very low grades?
Original post by dangermouse1
hi! I'm doing my exams at the moment, and they're not going brilliantly. Do you know anybody thats gotten onto the foundation course with very low grades?

The generic advice that I give out when people ask these sort of questions on TSR is
We don't know. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
- if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
- if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
- whether the grades that you actually got were ABB or higher (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+)
- how narrowly you missed your offer
- if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
- whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)

However, with the foundation degree it is also based on contextual data. I have a rather small sample to work with, but the lowest I know of grades-wise is BCC. Of course, I only know the people who have got in, and there's no guarantee that if you get BCC you'll be in, because the above factors still apply.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
The generic advice that I give out when people ask these sort of questions on TSR is

However, with the foundation degree it is also based on contextual data. I have a rather small sample to work with, but the lowest I know of grades-wise is BCC. Of course, I only know the people who have got in, and there's no guarantee that if you get BCC you'll be in, because the above factors still apply.

I don't even think I'll be getting those grades. I didn't practice enough for maths. Thanks for your response anyhow :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, i read on the Manchester university website that you have to do classes in communication skills and ICT, are these assessed and compulsory?
Original post by Christd
Hi, i read on the Manchester university website that you have to do classes in communication skills and ICT, are these assessed and compulsory?

Yes. But ICT tends to be easy to score high marks in. You need to be a bit more on the ball for Academic skills (of which communication skills is a very small part).

Just take it seriously and this part of the course shouldn't hold you back.

Thank you for the brilliant information.

I am considering Physics with foundation year through clearing.
I currently have BCCc myself in Chem/Maths/Bio/Phys respectively (C in AS physics)
On the brochure they say the general grade requirements are ABB for non-science subjects, and BCC for 'relative science' subjects.
My question is, which of the categories would I be classed in? I have taken physics but only at AS. Would this mean that I need ABB (generally)? If so, will it be highly unlikely that I would be considered given my circumstances?

Thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by moalem.abassi
Thank you for the brilliant information.

I am considering Physics with foundation year through clearing.
I currently have BCCc myself in Chem/Maths/Bio/Phys respectively (C in AS physics)
On the brochure they say the general grade requirements are ABB for non-science subjects, and BCC for 'relative science' subjects.
My question is, which of the categories would I be classed in? I have taken physics but only at AS. Would this mean that I need ABB (generally)? If so, will it be highly unlikely that I would be considered given my circumstances?

Thank you

I doubt that the foundation year will be in Clearing, but if it is, then I would suggest that your A Level subjects fall into the science category, but double checking with the department about the lack of physics A2 wouldn't be a bad idea.
I doubt that the foundation year will be in Clearing, but if it is, then I would suggest that your A Level subjects fall into the science category, but double checking with the department about the lack of physics A2 wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think it was in clearing last year. Not sure how many spaces it was offering though.
Reply 13
If you're really serious about it and put your all in, it is hard, but doable. If you **** around it is pretty much impossible. I am an example of the latter group. So make sure you're really sure that it is what you want to do.
Reply 14
hey guys...I had a question about the bsc physics course at manchester and was wondering if anyone has an idea about this

you know how manchester asks for A*AA at a-level to study physics? i didn't get the grades to do physics at uni so im currently doing a foundation year in physics at a different uni but wanted to know that if i pass this year 0 at distinction level, will i be able to do my physics degree at manchester?
Original post by blossom786
hey guys...I had a question about the bsc physics course at manchester and was wondering if anyone has an idea about this

you know how manchester asks for A*AA at a-level to study physics? i didn't get the grades to do physics at uni so im currently doing a foundation year in physics at a different uni but wanted to know that if i pass this year 0 at distinction level, will i be able to do my physics degree at manchester?

You'll have to get in contract with the department and see what they say about it - we can't give you a definitive answer I'm afraid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

How many of those wanting to do physics actually get onto it? Is it worth taking the risk? Do more people get on than dont?
Also are there a set number of places or are there unlimited numbers allowed if you pass criteria?
Original post by JBrazier
How many of those wanting to do physics actually get onto it? Is it worth taking the risk? Do more people get on than dont?
Also are there a set number of places or are there unlimited numbers allowed if you pass criteria?

If you meet the progression criteria you pass. That's their guarantee to you :smile:

I'm not really sure about how many people get through. From the people I knew personally who didn't make it, the common theme was not going to lectures, not taking it that seriously until the final month or two; that kind of thing.

What's your situation?
Reply 18
If you meet the progression criteria you pass. That's their guarantee to you :smile:

I'm not really sure about how many people get through. From the people I knew personally who didn't make it, the common theme was not going to lectures, not taking it that seriously until the final month or two; that kind of thing.

What's your situation?

Im applying for 2014. Im worried that if I do this course I will end up doing the other degrees on offer other than physics. Do you choose Physics at the start of the year? So does everyone who passes definitely get onto physics? There no competition / limited places for physics? that's what im worried about :s-smilie: And how hard is it to pass / get the 75 %? Will I be definitely guaranteed a place on the physics programme specifically if I pass? :smile:
Im applying for 2014. Im worried that if I do this course I will end up doing the other degrees on offer other than physics.

Do you choose Physics at the start of the year?

Yes

So does everyone who passes definitely get onto physics?

Yes

There no competition / limited places for physics?

No

that's what im worried about :s-smilie: And how hard is it to pass / get the 75 %?

It's very difficult to say: it depends on your work ethic and how capable you are in maths/physics. The people running the foundation programme think that a pass mark of 75% is worth A*A*A at A-level, which is one way to try and think about it.

Will I be definitely guaranteed a place on the physics programme specifically if I pass? :smile:

Yes! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending