The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I know!!!!! I don't understand how people get such fantastic scores! I need their brain! :frown: I take my time doing maths as well so that's my second weakness.

AR is my fave then DR :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

DA*

Which reminds me; in my search for HCA jobs and other assistant jobs I ended up applying for a post as a doctor and now I feel stupid as hell. But TBH the job description did NOT mention the qualifications a "clinical assistant needs" nor any of the details of the duties lol

Well it's good I'm applying for doctor jobs early. :\

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 661
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I see :smile: well people suggest medify. Are you planning to use it?

I wanna prepare for it properly this year so I dont think I will rush it. I'm just terrified about VR as its my weakest point :frown: what was your score last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had medify last year, and im not sure whether i liked it or not - qr on medify was good i guess, and ar was good ... i think its da was easier than my real thing though.

vr was defo my weak point too - i got either 520 or 420 in it :redface:

my overall score was 637.5, hbu ?
yeah same i really wanna smash it this year :smile: - so hopefully we will achieve that !
Reply 662
Original post by jojo1995
I had medify last year, and im not sure whether i liked it or not - qr on medify was good i guess, and ar was good ... i think its da was easier than my real thing though.

vr was defo my weak point too - i got either 520 or 420 in it :redface:

my overall score was 637.5, hbu ?
yeah same i really wanna smash it this year :smile: - so hopefully we will achieve that !

Hopefully our scores will improve :smile:

Yeah VR is what let me down too. I got 500 for that.

My average went down to 600 :frown: lol
I'm planning to use medify this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I am a re-applicant too.
I applied to UEA, Keele, Plymouth and Leeds. Only got 1 interview unfortunately.

But we're all in the same boat. Hopefully we can ace it this year!

How's the prep for UKCAT going?
Reply 664
Hi misspinky

Welcome to the thread :smile:
Where did you get the interview and what was the feedback you got from each? :smile:

Where you planning to apply? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 665
Hey all,

Feel so relieved that I'm not the only one in this boat. You all seem just as determined, got 2 interviews last year but was completely thrown. How are you guys spending your gap years?
So glad the UKCAT is out the way now, I wonder how they're going to use the STJ if at all.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Welcome to the club :smile:
My UKCAT was also my downfall for three of my application. But for Liverpool it was my personal statement. Looking back now I feel like a made some STUPID mistakes when choosing where to apply!

What are your plans for a gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, really hope I can get in this year! haha :P
Well I'm originally from South Korea, so I'm going there next feb till july to teach english to kids in a school there! really excited!

what about you?
Reply 667
Original post by shunoai95
Thanks for the reply!
Well I'm originally from South Korea, so I'm going there next feb till july to teach english to kids in a school there! really excited!

what about you?

South Korea is amazing :love: I spent part of my gap year there :tongue:
Reply 668
Original post by PG593
Hey all,

Feel so relieved that I'm not the only one in this boat. You all seem just as determined, got 2 interviews last year but was completely thrown. How are you guys spending your gap years?
So glad the UKCAT is out the way now, I wonder how they're going to use the STJ if at all.

How did you do on the UKCAT. Did you improve?
I am terrified for that test :frown: I think it's the worst part of applying lol.

Well if you joined earlier, most of us are in search for HCA jobs or something in a hospital setting. Getting more experience through this should be useful.

And yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 669
Original post by shunoai95
Thanks for the reply!

what about you?

Hopefully you will be successful this year.

Have you done the UKCAT?

Sounds exciting, lucky you! I won't be going anywhere exciting this year; only work lol.

Hope you have a blast :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 670
Original post by Dr.Ugs
How did you do on the UKCAT. Did you improve?
I am terrified for that test :frown: I think it's the worst part of applying lol.

Well if you joined earlier, most of us are in search for HCA jobs or something in a hospital setting. Getting more experience through this should be useful.

And yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did much better this time round (737.5) but then again the scores on TSR are ridiculous! I think that's probably what I'm going to do as well. I also think it would help at interview to draw on scenarios and experiences, especially as an HCA where you'll be thrown in at the deep end (Unsociable hours etc.) Do you think you'll do any travelling? I feel like getting away for a bit once the application is sent and put it out of my mind, dreading the long admission cycle. One could have a child in that length of time. :tongue:Where you thinking of applying?
Reply 671
Original post by PG593
Did much better this time round (737.5) but then again the scores on TSR are ridiculous! I think that's probably what I'm going to do as well. I also think it would help at interview to draw on scenarios and experiences, especially as an HCA where you'll be thrown in at the deep end (Unsociable hours etc.) Do you think you'll do any travelling? I feel like getting away for a bit once the application is sent and put it out of my mind, dreading the long admission cycle. One could have a child in that length of time. :tongue:Where you thinking of applying?

Wow what a fantastic score! Congratulations :smile: how much did you improve by? I'm hoping to improve by 100 as last years test I failed. Any tips? :smile:

Indeed, but HCA jobs are also tremendously difficult to attain; because other applicants have more experience etc etc. any idea where you will apply this year?

Where did you get the interviews? I had mine at Keele an missed the offer by one point :frown:

Lucky you get to go traveling. I would have liked to but I'm too broke lol perhaps after I start work may save up for something :smile:
Where you planning to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 672
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Wow what a fantastic score! Congratulations :smile: how much did you improve by? I'm hoping to improve by 100 as last years test I failed. Any tips? :smile:

Indeed, but HCA jobs are also tremendously difficult to attain; because other applicants have more experience etc etc. any idea where you will apply this year?

Where did you get the interviews? I had mine at Keele an missed the offer by one point :frown:

Lucky you get to go traveling. I would have liked to but I'm too broke lol perhaps after I start work may save up for something :smile:
Where you planning to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe well last year I got 680 but I stupidly went on too many BMATs and it blew up in my face. I'm a bit worried what the UKCAT cut-offs will be this year given all the high scorers on TSR but hopefully its just TSR :smile: Just be careful of this new VR section, only got 530 on it this year. Bless DA :biggrin: I'm applying to as many as I can and hopefully get a hit, I hear the Kings HCA one is good. I'm leaning towards the Scottish universities, started a few threads on them but not 110% sure yet. Lost out on the Manchester interview and was told I was on the cusp of the offer for UCL :angry: Haha I was thinking somewhere exotic like Japan but I feel stupid going on my own, all my mates are all starting Uni. :frown: Where are you thinking of applying? Any fancy holiday places once you've saved up?
Reply 673
Original post by PG593
Hehe well last year I got 680 but I stupidly went on too many BMATs and it blew up in my face. I'm a bit worried what the UKCAT cut-offs will be this year given all the high scorers on TSR but hopefully its just TSR :smile: Just be careful of this new VR section, only got 530 on it this year. Bless DA :biggrin: I'm applying to as many as I can and hopefully get a hit, I hear the Kings HCA one is good. I'm leaning towards the Scottish universities, started a few threads on them but not 110% sure yet. Lost out on the Manchester interview and was told I was on the cusp of the offer for UCL :angry: Haha I was thinking somewhere exotic like Japan but I feel stupid going on my own, all my mates are all starting Uni. :frown: Where are you thinking of applying? Any fancy holiday places once you've saved up?

That's still a great score :smile: did you use medify? DA and AR are my favourate :smile:

Oh cool, going from the south to the north lol. Scotland would be an interesting move.

Lol all my friends are going to uni. I feel abandoned and unemployed (and now I am certain I am both) Japan seems exciting, I would love to visit Tokyo; would be amazing if its like it is in the movies lol :smile: maybe Disney land Paris; I have always wanted to visit Paris :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 674
Original post by Dr.Ugs
That's still a great score :smile: did you use medify? DA and AR are my favourate :smile:

Oh cool, going from the south to the north lol. Scotland would be an interesting move.

Lol all my friends are going to uni. I feel abandoned and unemployed (and now I am certain I am both) Japan seems exciting, I would love to visit Tokyo; would be amazing if its like it is in the movies lol :smile: maybe Disney land Paris; I have always wanted to visit Paris :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should've but tbh I just stuck with the 600Q book. Let me know how it goes mate, and don't worry haha I feel exactly the same way. Paris is awesome, surtout si vous comprenez la langue :wink:
Reply 675
Original post by PG593
I should've but tbh I just stuck with the 600Q book. Let me know how it goes mate, and don't worry haha I feel exactly the same way. Paris is awesome, surtout si vous comprenez la langue :wink:

I have got that but I don't think I know how to use it properly. It takes me a very long time to do the QR.

Any luck with jobs? I got two interviews today for decontamination assistant and a clerical officer :smile: not HCA but better than nothing lol.

Indeed, I can speak a bit of French but not fluently lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 676
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I have got that but I don't think I know how to use it properly. It takes me a very long time to do the QR.

Any luck with jobs? I got two interviews today for decontamination assistant and a clerical officer :smile: not HCA but better than nothing lol.

Indeed, I can speak a bit of French but not fluently lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always find the QR on the day much easier, the ones in the 600Q are insane. How did you do on the UKCAT last year? Well I got one interview for HCA coming up but they favour applicants who can perform things like phlebotomy, so it's going to be a fight for that job. Wow, well I'm sure you'll get somewhere assisting, roughly how much are they paying for that kind of job? Good luck in your interview dude!
Reply 677
Original post by PG593
I always find the QR on the day much easier, the ones in the 600Q are insane. How did you do on the UKCAT last year? Well I got one interview for HCA coming up but they favour applicants who can perform things like phlebotomy, so it's going to be a fight for that job. Wow, well I'm sure you'll get somewhere assisting, roughly how much are they paying for that kind of job? Good luck in your interview dude!

Yeah those questions take me ages!!! I got 600 last yet but I must admit I didn't prepare as I should have lol
Hopefully it will go well :smile: they may ask you something about PPE which I patient protection equipment (I.e aprons when serving food) they asked me this in my HCA interview.

Yeah most people applying are highly experienced but just show off your work experience :smile: I talked about my week assisting HCAs and what I learnt from that and they were impressed and I came second out of 15. The person who got the job was an ex-nurse so I'm not disappointed lol. Hopefully your competition will be less experienced with no nurses!!! :smile:

Well it says £14,000 salary but I would assume that would be after being fully trained etc. not bad actually :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys does anyone know where I can find HCA jobs other than the nhs and bna websites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im applying this year and ive seen people mention different languages they can speak, i can speak english and urdu and fully understand hindi/punjabi also but i cant speak it (they`re all very similar), should I include in my personal statement that i can speak all four?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending