The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Depends on the universities you want to apply to. Oxbridge requires applicants to sit the BMAT for Medicine. :smile:
Original post by mo-123
Hey guys
I just wanna ask I would like to apply for medicine next year and I heard about ukcat and bmat.. So which one do I do or do I do both confusedddddd ?!??
Anyone's help would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a read :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#Admission_Tests
Hey guys, only just found this thread. But how's everyone feeling about results day?
Personally.. I'm scared ****less ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 8A* and an A at gcse, does anyone know of they only look at 9 gcses or will I be at a big disadvantage to those people who have say 12A*? Basically do I have a chance of an offer from Edinburgh? (Rekon UKCAT will be pretty good and predicted 4As at a level)
Original post by SavannaC
Hey guys, only just found this thread. But how's everyone feeling about results day?
Personally.. I'm scared ****less ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am petrified! A week tomorrow and Ill know whether I can apply to medicine. Scary stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Officegirl4
I am petrified! A week tomorrow and Ill know whether I can apply to medicine. Scary stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

IKR! But I don't think you should completely base these results on whether your going to apply for meds. I felt like that too but after talking to a few people and some on TSR, i realised if it's really what you want to do. Then do the UKCAT/BMAT, make sure you have atleast AAA predicted and apply, you can always resit a few modules if need be. Just don't apply to anywhere that ask for specific AS results, that could cause a few complications lol
I'm sure you've done well anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
IKR! But I don't think you should completely base these results on whether your going to apply for meds. I felt like that too but after talking to a few people and some on TSR, i realised if it's really what you want to do. Then do the UKCAT/BMAT, make sure you have atleast AAA predicted and apply, you can always resit a few modules if need be. Just don't apply to anywhere that ask for specific AS results, that could cause a few complications lol
I'm sure you've done well anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Scotland so these ones are the ones that count :frown: pretty much need AAAAA or AAAAB if I want to stand a chance. No resits :frown:

When do you get your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from Scotland so these ones are the ones that count :frown: pretty much need AAAAA or AAAAB if I want to stand a chance. No resits :frown:

When do you get your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Scottish system. I'm sure you've put in the work and hopefully you get the grades you need. Best of luck to you.

We get our results on the 15th August.. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Scottish system. I'm sure you've put in the work and hopefully you get the grades you need. Best of luck to you.

We get our results on the 15th August.. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's alright. Sucks that the systems are so different. Good luck to you too!

We get ours on the 6th August so that should be interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's alright. Sucks that the systems are so different. Good luck to you too!

We get ours on the 6th August so that should be interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it really does, and thanks. Ahh that's so close, I really hope you do well *fingers crossed* :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 310
'Aptitude test
Applicants will be required to take the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT). This is a written test provides measures of Verbal Reasoning (VR), Quantitative Reasoning (QR), Abstract Reasoning (AR), Decision Analysis (DA) and from 2013 onwards a Situational Judgement Test. The test must be taken in the same admissions cycle as the application and the result cannot be carried forward to another year. Further details are available on the UKCAT website (http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/). The scores will be scrutinised when selectors consider the rest of the application alongside the personal statement, academic background and referee’s statement. Leeds uses a banded scoring system based on VT, QR, AR and DA. We do not operate a “threshold” or “cut-off” system. We are still assessing the SJT to see how to use it.'

Nice to see Leeds taking so much care when proof-reading their own admissions policy. :cool:
Reply 311
2014 Medicine Hopefuls

Hey TSR Medics
:wink:

Looking around the forum and most courses have like an aspirational thread for 2014 chemists vets etc. So I thought why not make one for medicine.

This is the time where most applicants will be taking their UKCAT or BMAT or both as one of the final processes to get into medical school.

Well... My names Ahmed and I have from birth contemplated about being a medic or chemical engineer (petroleum engineer) :colone: Through a lot of research I made my up in Yr12 to do medicine.

I am currently studying Chemistry Physics Maths FMaths
but hope to drop FMaths and pick up Biology next year as an AS & A2

Hoping to get AAAA or AAAB in June but I think I will probably get AABB or AABC, yet to do my UKCAT the pressure is overwhelming. I have an idea of the unis I would like to apply to but not 100% sure till the results come out. Below are links to specific University chats if you're interested and be sure to link me to any new ones on the forum so I can add it on here.

Original post by alex193
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen, there's a few university-specific threads on the go as well :smile:

Sheffield
Leicester
Barts and The London
Nottingham A100 and A108
Southampton BM4 BM5 and BM6
Plymouth
Liverpool
Imperial
Aberdeen
Brighton & Sussex

Current Nottingham student here, if anyone's got questions about Notts or medicine in general I'll do my best to answer :tongue:

So I basically created this thread to meet my potential future classmates :wink::biggrin: & medics and to discuss about Offers interviews etc when they are given

For now what UKCAT has everyone scored & jan exam results etc

Peace
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 312
For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen, there's a few university-specific threads on the go as well :smile:

Sheffield
Leicester
Barts and The London
Nottingham A100 and A108
Plymouth
Liverpool
Imperial
Aberdeen
Brighton & Sussex

Current Nottingham student here, if anyone's got questions about Notts or medicine in general I'll do my best to answer :tongue:
Reply 313
Original post by alex193

Sheffield
Leicester
Barts and The London
Nottingham A100 and A108
Plymouth
Liverpool
Imperial
Aberdeen
Brighton & Sussex

Ill edit that in thats actually quite useful
Original post by alex193

Sheffield
Leicester
Barts and The London
Nottingham A100 and A108
Plymouth
Liverpool
Imperial
Aberdeen
Brighton & Sussex

Hey there (new to TSR so I have no idea what I'm doing!) I'm going to Nottingham open day in September and I was wondering what you thought of the university and the format of how medicine is taught. Also, do you use cadavers as part of your study? Thanks :smile:
Reply 315
Original post by jellycross
Hey there (new to TSR so I have no idea what I'm doing!) I'm going to Nottingham open day in September and I was wondering what you thought of the university and the format of how medicine is taught. Also, do you use cadavers as part of your study? Thanks :smile:

Heya,
I've done a big piece on Notts over on the A100 thread - I've quoted it below :wink: I'm loving it, the course is perfect for me and uni life has been entertaining to say the least :smile: Yep, we're one of the few schools that still let students dissect - more on that below :smile:

Original post by alex193

Spoiler

Reply 316
Original post by g.k.galloway
I don't have much yet!!
7A* 4A at GCSE though (A*s include all sciences, maths and eng Lang, along with art and stuff)
Just got to see what my UMS scores turn out like for AS really before I can make a final decision :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What did you get in your Jan modules if you did them?
Original post by AhmedDavid
What did you get in your Jan modules if you did them?

I didn't do any jan modules :smile: We do them all in May/June - makes results day even more nerve-wracking :smile:
Reply 318
Hi! Prospective medic here too! I'm Libby, and I'm a Welsh applicant :smile: My profile so far is:
GCSE: 9.5A* 1A
January AS: 4A's Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics
Hoping to get 4A's for my overall AS, but I may slip to a B in Biology.
UKCAT: VA 710, QR 710, AR 840, DA 860, SJ band 1, average 780 :smile:

Not sure where to apply yet, but I have a list of potentials:
Cardiff, Southampton and Leicester because I like them. :smile:
B'ham because of my GCSE grades.
Nottingham and Northampton because of UKCAT.

So just introducing myself :smile: and looking for advice, is there any benefit at all to keeping all 4 AS to A level? My plan at the moment is if I get a B in Biology AS then to keep all four to A level so I can rely on my 3A offer from the other three, but if I get all A grades at AS I don't know what to do!
Original post by LibbyG
Hi! Prospective medic here too! I'm Libby, and I'm a Welsh applicant :smile: My profile so far is:
GCSE: 9.5A* 1A
January AS: 4A's Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics
Hoping to get 4A's for my overall AS, but I may slip to a B in Biology.
UKCAT: VA 710, QR 710, AR 840, DA 860, SJ band 1, average 780 :smile:

Not sure where to apply yet, but I have a list of potentials:
Cardiff, Southampton and Leicester because I like them. :smile:
B'ham because of my GCSE grades.
Nottingham and Northampton because of UKCAT.

So just introducing myself :smile: and looking for advice, is there any benefit at all to keeping all 4 AS to A level? My plan at the moment is if I get a B in Biology AS then to keep all four to A level so I can rely on my 3A offer from the other three, but if I get all A grades at AS I don't know what to do!

Since when did Northampton have a medical school?? Do you mean Newcastle?

For the schools you've mentioned there's no benefit to 4 A2's. Bear in mind that getting AAA with 4 subjects will be harder than with three cos you'll have more work throughout the year. Some unis might specify they want Biology in your offer so you'd need an A at A2 in it.

Quick Reply

Latest