The Student Room Group

Maths @ Cambridge?

What GCSE requirements do you need to do a mathematics course at Cambridge university?

What A-Levels would you need to of chosen to do a mathematics course at Cambridge university?

What results would you of needed in those A-Levels for a mathematics course at Cambridge University!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Red John
What GCSE requirements do you need to do a mathematics course at Cambridge university?

What A-Levels would you need to of chosen to do a mathematics course at Cambridge university?

What results would you of needed in those A-Levels for a mathematics course at Cambridge University!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the first thing that you must remember before applying to cambridge to study especially maths is that admissions are very difficult. A very small number of students get into cambridge to study maths.
So ideally 100% of the students who do get in have a few A*'s and A's at GCSE. 1 or 2 B's is okay but no more than that. It is best that you have no grade that is below a B, and best to have nearly all A* and A's. A* in math or at least A is essential. If there is a B in math there is a high probability that admission would be rejected.
For A-level dont take the minimum amount of subjects because cambrdige dosent really pay attention to your GCSE results (even if you did get one or two B's even in math).
To study math at Cambridge these subjects must be taken at A-level:
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Take at least one more science subject like chemistry or computing.
Now that you have four subjects the minimum requirements for Cambridge for math applicants are as follows:
A*AA
with an A* in math and/or Further math.
and A in another subject.
getting into Cambridge for maths normally depends not just on having A* projections for maths and further maths but also getting good results in STEP exams. Cambridge give out a lot more offers for maths than places because quite a lot dont get their STEP grades. More about STEP here http://nrich.maths.org/STEP

One Cambridge guy has said that state school pupils often struggle initially at Cambridge because of poor maths teaching at school.

If you're thinking of Cambridge you should know some people think Warwick has a better maths reputation
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi: GCSEs as below, a few A*s in important subjects etc.

For A-Level, you need maths.
Then Further maths as far as your college will take you is essential, the AS should be self taught if it isn't offered at your college.
It is recommended that you take physics and other science based subjects, though the real requirements are above. You can get away with not doing physics if you have FM with at least 3 mechanics modules.
For Cambridge maths there is an admissions test called STEP, which you will need to take, which I recommend you look into :smile:
Reply 4
Post two above is slightly questionable. You certainly don't need physics A level (or chemistry or computing). A third A-level being science based is probably wise though. As to requirements, A* in m/fm is probably the minimum you should realistically be expecting to get. Mostly A*s/As elsewhere.
Reply 5

To be honest, if you can't *easily* get an A* at A-level Maths, then you will probably struggle heavily at Cambridge. Preferably this should hold for Further Maths too, although of course your college might not offer it - as joostan said, you will need to self-study as much of that as you can.
Reply 6
Original post by Smaug123
To be honest, if you can't *easily* get an A* at A-level Maths, then you will probably struggle heavily at Cambridge. Preferably this should hold for Further Maths too, although of course your college might not offer it - as joostan said, you will need to self-study as much of that as you can.

Not to mention I find it quite unlikely someone does well enough on STEP to get in yet not easily achieve A* in Maths (arguably FM as well).
Reply 7
Original post by Slumpy
Post two above is slightly questionable. You certainly don't need physics A level (or chemistry or computing). A third A-level being science based is probably wise though. As to requirements, A* in m/fm is probably the minimum you should realistically be expecting to get. Mostly A*s/As elsewhere.

I am picking Maths, Further Maths & Economics & not sure about the fourth option. I don't quite fancy a science in A-Level so don't think I will pick one. I am determined to hit those A*'s in Maths & Further Maths & an A in economics. Is there an alternative for science as my fourth option (not picking any sciences)
Reply 8
I am picking Maths, Further Maths & Economics & not sure about the fourth option. I don't quite fancy a science in A-Level so don't think I will pick one. I am determined to hit those A*'s in Maths & Further Maths & an A in economics. Is there an alternative for science as my fourth option (not picking any sciences)

I wouldn't say it much matters. Whilst most of my friends seemed to have physics, or various other things, I know a guy who had m/fm/french/music IIRC. So long as you're good enough at maths and further maths, I get the impression they don't really care about the others. I'd check the trinity list to see if economics is alright, and if not try and get one which is. Otherwise, do whatever you fancy.
btw there is an ask an admission tutor thread for Cambridge where you can get reliable advice.
Reply 10
Original post by Slumpy
I wouldn't say it much matters. Whilst most of my friends seemed to have physics, or various other things, I know a guy who had m/fm/french/music IIRC. So long as you're good enough at maths and further maths, I get the impression they don't really care about the others. I'd check the trinity list to see if economics is alright, and if not try and get one which is. Otherwise, do whatever you fancy.

Thank you. You really cleared some things out :smile:
Reply 11
Thank you. You really cleared some things out :smile:

I would say you'd be best emailing some admissions tutors of colleges you're interested in just to be sure. I should be right for the most part, but I left uni a couple of years ago, so could easily be out of date!
Original post by WAR10CK

To study math at Cambridge these subjects must be taken at A-level:
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics
Take at least one more science subject like chemistry or computing.

I hate Physics, Chemistry and Computing. Do I absolutely have to take physics, or would I be able to something else, like Psychology?
Original post by Tasty Apple
I hate Physics, Chemistry and Computing. Do I absolutely have to take physics, or would I be able to something else, like Psychology?

This thread was four years old.

You will need A-level Maths and Further Maths as a minimum. Most candidates will have a 'hard' science in addition to that, which most having A-level Physics as that third A-level.
Reply 14

Original post by xianlong
dunno about cambo overall, but at least for trinity, u pretty much have to take physics. u might be able to take chem or something instead, but definitely not psychology. pretty sure trinity doesnt consider that a proper subject

You don't have to take Physics. All that matters for Cambridge is the Maths.

Even Trinity says:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: A*A*A plus good grades (typically 1,1) in STEP Mathematics II and III

PREFERRED A-LEVEL SUBJECTS: No

Trinity is rather fussy though, so they do ask that the 3rd subject is at least "facilitating" if it isn't Physics.

Other colleges don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15

You might also want to review the amount of physics in the Cambridge maths course (especially in the core first year) as compared with other maths courses.
Original post by ChristopherHuey
This thread was four years old.

Thanks, I didn't realise that!
Reply 17
Thanks, I didn't realise that!

You might also want to read these:
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course/triposguide.pdf
Includes (my bold):
"The first year course is intended to be accessible to able students who have a level of preparation equivalent to a single A-level in Mathematics plus AS Further Mathematics, though the great majority of the students have the full A-level Further Mathematics (or an equivalent qualification). It is not assumed that students have taken courses in physics, statistics or computing. However, applied mathematics and theoretical physics are included in the course and an introductory course to Mechanics is offered to those who do not have enough background in physics in the first year."

AND (again my bold)
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/guide_0.pdf
"Our course contains a significant component of Theoretical Physics in the first and second years; in the third year there is even more but you can avoid it completely if you want to. Nevertheless, you should not worry if you are not taking A-level Physics because we teach Theoretical Physics courses from scratch. You should also not worry if you have not enjoyed Physics much so far, because we teach Theoretical Physics courses from a mathematical point of view. However, some of the material in the A-level Physics course does provide useful background for our course."

And more info
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course

Quick Reply

Latest