The Student Room Group

Why is having low self-esteem / confidence bad for you?

So people sometimes say they have low self-esteem , and people encourage them to have higher self esteem. In fact, psychologists and what not encourage people to have "healthy" self-esteem.

Why is having low self-esteem bad for you? (self-esteem and confidence are taken as bivalent and covering the same scope, be it global or specific)

We have beliefs and justifications, and justified true beliefs which are knowledge. Our self-esteem should come from knowledge, or at least justified beliefs about oneself vis a vis the total human population -1.

Some people should in fact have low self-esteem, because that's all they are justified to believe. Say if you are fat or ugly, why should that give you even normal self-esteem, never mind high. And obviously because you're ugly, the opposite sex will find you repulsive so and let you know, so you should have no confidence either. And if you're I dunno, poor or stupid; things aren't exactly looking up.

Why is having low esteem bad for those people when in fact they SHOULD have low self esteem and that's all they're justified for? Nobody is valuable or worthy just because they were born as so are everyone else.

If in fact they had high self-esteem, then they are simply deluded. And if people like them because they are confident, which then gives them a real justification of sorts, then other people are simply being conned, as in con-fidence and that person is a con-man/woman (incidentally, they won't be if they're too stupid to understand why they might be).

One should not believe X even if as a result of one in believing it so that justification will present itself after the fact and one knows that will be so.

So no, I don't think having low-esteem is bad for you; in fact I think because you have low self-esteem you are bad and unworthy. In fact, some people have too high a level of confidence in themselves and should be knocked down a notch. Certainly no one should encourage other people to have high self esteem when they really shouldn't, like fat or ugly people for instance.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Low self esteem could be seen as motivation to improve yourself and become someone you want to be. However it can get to the point where it is too low and you enter the cycle of depression where you feel it is not worth trying to improve yourself as it won't make enough of a difference (even though this is often untrue). Having good self esteem isn't bad it means you have got to the point where you are comfortable with yourself.
TLDR: A little bit of a knock to your self esteem can be good but too low is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thisistheend
So people sometimes say they have low self-esteem , and people encourage them to have higher self esteem. In fact, psychologists and what not encourage people to have "healthy" self-esteem.

Why is having low self-esteem bad for you? (self-esteem and confidence are taken as bivalent and covering the same scope, be it global or specific)

We have beliefs and justifications, and justified true beliefs which are knowledge. Our self-esteem should come from knowledge, or at least justified beliefs about oneself vis a vis the total human population -1.

Some people should in fact have low self-esteem, because that's all they are justified to believe. Say if you are fat or ugly, why should that give you even normal self-esteem, never mind high. And obviously because you're ugly, the opposite sex will find you repulsive so and let you know, so you should have no confidence either. And if you're I dunno, poor or stupid; things aren't exactly looking up.

Why is having low esteem bad for those people when in fact they SHOULD have low self esteem and that's all they're justified for? Nobody is valuable or worthy just because they were born as so are everyone else.

If in fact they had high self-esteem, then they are simply deluded. And if people like them because they are confident, which then gives them a real justification of sorts, then other people are simply being conned, as in con-fidence and that person is a con-man/woman (incidentally, they won't be if they're too stupid to understand why they might be).

One should not believe X even if as a result of one in believing it so that justification will present itself after the fact and one knows that will be so.

So no, I don't think having low-esteem is bad for you; in fact I think because you have low self-esteem you are bad and unworthy. In fact, some people have too high a level of confidence in themselves and should be knocked down a notch. Certainly no one should encourage other people to have high self esteem when they really shouldn't, like fat or ugly people for instance.

The only one deluded is you OP. Many poor/disadvantaged people have improved their lives by believing in their abilities and talents regardless of how much they weight. Granted, some stupid ugly people have got rich too. Look at Liam Gallagher, Gordon Brown and Justin Bieber.

I have above average confidence in my talents. I was a bit overweight and ugly (acne, braces, horrible hair cut) at one point but that couldn't get in the way of my ambition!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Low self-esteem tends to decrease productivity, ambition and inhibits personal growth, which then prevents a person from reaching their full potential. Why on earth would that be a good thing?
Reply 4
Original post by Vian
Low self-esteem tends to decrease productivity, ambition and inhibits personal growth, which then prevents a person from reaching their full potential. Why on earth would that be a good thing?

You deserve what you are justified for. If they're only justified to have low self esteem, they deserve it.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Original post by Vian

That's the thing,

the OP talks about how we should be judged on our achievements,

but how many times have you seen somebody get all they ever 'wanted'
and even then find some way to **** it all up for themselves,
.......because of their low self-esteem.
Reply 7
So if I am ugly, I SHOULD have low self-esteem, because someone on the internet told me so? Since when was being beautiful an achievement, or a personal merit? Since when should I care about what the other gender thinks of me?

"Our self-esteem should come from knowledge"... Bull. Self-esteem is realising that you have flaws, and not giving a flying donkey faeces about them. You don't need validation from others, because ultimately it comes from yourself.

Either you have no idea what the word "self-esteem" actually means, you have a really warped idea of life, or you've genuinely failed at life and are looking to make as many people feel bad as possible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Triple-Sod

Good for you. I didn't make that thread. My argument is far more eloquent.
Reply 9
Good for you. I didn't make that thread. My argument is far more eloquent.

but to be fair you're already starting to sound a lot like the OP
(not saying you are.....)
Reply 10
Original post by Triple-Sod
That's the thing,

the OP talks about how we should be judged on our achievements,

but how many times have you seen somebody get all they ever 'wanted'
and even then find some way to **** it all up for themselves,
.......because of their low self-esteem.

They got lucky, they never really were justified in having any level of self esteem requisite to sustain that dream or even having it in the first place. That does not justify them to then believe in anything better about themselves.

If they repeatedly get "all they ever wanted" without ever having believing they were justified for it, and **** it up everytime. It maybe time for reevaluation and strategising.

Afterall, my conceptual model of low self esteem / confidence was never meant to remain in an ossified state.

And I'm not the Anon OP in that thread, I fundamentally disagree with what he has argued. My argument takes the reverse initial starting point and is simply much more coherent (I never saw that thread until you pointed it out to me)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
You deserve what you are justified for. If they're only justified to have low self esteem, they deserve it.

People very rarely have an accurate image of their own achievements and capabilities. Psychological studies suggest that most people (to varying degrees) are over-confident. On the other hand, many people lack confidence in themselves as they fail to see how much they're capable of.

So my point is, if we're doomed to to have a wholly inaccurate idea of our own potential anyway, surely it's simply more productive (and a hell of a lot more fun) to have some confidence in yourself, thus making you more likely to rise up to challenges (and so more likely to attain those achivements you seem to value so highly, OP)?
Reply 12
Original post by Vian
People very rarely have an accurate image of their own achievements and capabilities. Psychological studies suggest that most people (to varying degrees) are over-confident. On the other hand, many people lack confidence in themselves as they fail to see how much they're capable of.

So my point is, if we're doomed to to have a wholly inaccurate idea of our own potential anyway, surely it's simply more productive (and a hell of a lot more fun) to have some confidence in yourself, thus making you more likely to rise up to challenges (and so more likely to attain those achivements you seem to value so highly, OP)?

You shouldn't believe in something just because it is better for you were you to believe it even if you know that it will be.

What you're suggesting is straight out of Alice in Wonderland believing in 6 impossible things before breakfast crazy.

One should always be reflective and considered. Self esteem should NOT be a choice but an inevitable byproduct.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Low esteem and self confidence can be damaging to you on the whole.
So you're saying I should not bother trying to improve my cripplingly low confidence and self esteem.
That's the opposite of what everyone else says. :hmmm:

Firstly, I wouid like to say if everyone in the world thought like you, nothing would get done. People that don't believe in themselves won't achieve much because their lack of confidence would hold them back from expressing themselves.

Look at the world today- plenty of technological advancements and to some degree, scientific and sociological advancements. The people that have been responsible for such change have challenged conventions and had the ambition to persist with their ideas and thoughts. You think if a vast majority of people had low self-esteem you would even have the opportunity to get your viewpoint across to potentially thousands of people you don't know?

Being fat or ugly doesn't mean you deserve to live a miserable life, especially the case of the latter. Saying that , just because someone is fat it doesn't mean they should be down all the time. Of course they should work on trying to lose weight because being fat is fundamentally unhealthy.

Furthermore, being repulsive to the opposite sex is subjective. Some men/women are just facially or bodily unattractive, with the latter being easy to work on. Even then, when you do start working out/ losing weight, your face becomes slimmer and facial features more defined so you will look more attractive. Even if you may be considered repulsive, you could be intelligent, creative or what not and therefore deserve to have a high self opinion of yourself.

Anyway, who are you to tell anyone how they should think about themselves? What have you done that your opinion counts above all?

While you're claiming more people should have a lower self-esteem, you are at the same time promoting your own ideologies therefore ironically creating this super-inflated self-image

Starting uni on a psychology course this year by any chance?
Reply 17

Whether you are ugly or not, having good self esteem and confidence is healthy and will help you to succeed in life. For example jobs and relationships both need a good self esteem or high confidence.
Sure, if some people are ugly then it is delusional to be confident and think you are good looking. But if they don't delude themselves then how else can they get on with their life be happy and achieve goals. Everyone deserves happiness.

I think being delusional if it is a positive way of thinking is a good thing regardless of who you are. For instance I know someone who is incredibly confident to the point where I actually thought he was deluded. He thought he was a supermodel yet he clearly wasn't. But it helps him succeed in life.

I wish I was more deluded. In fact I have a lesser opinion of myself than what is true. This is a direct result of things that I could not control in the past.
Reply 18

How do you justify clever, pretty people with low self-esteem?
And why is your post so long, when all it basically says that if you are ugly/fat/stupid you should feel bad, nobody loves you.....why all that chatter-boxing, when you could make a 2 line thread?:confused:
Reply 19
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Starting uni on a psychology course this year by any chance?

Haha, psychologist of the century he/she would be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending