The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8680
Original post by danny111
I've seen trailers in German for it, doesn't look that funny tbh. Also I really don't like Melissa McCarthy. I don't find her amusing at all.

Well I love Bridesmaids and I love Miss Congeniality, and this seems to be a mixture if the two! Plus, I'll admit, the trailer made me chuckle.
Original post by aja89
Well I love Bridesmaids and I love Miss Congeniality, and this seems to be a mixture if the two! Plus, I'll admit, the trailer made me chuckle.

Argh cant stand her. So loud and obnoxious.

God she was annoying in Identity Thief.
Reply 8682
Argh cant stand her. So loud and obnoxious.

God she was annoying in Identity Thief.

Being fat and loud does not mean you are funny.

She annoys the ****ing life out of me.
Reply 8683
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Blancanieves is the best film I've seen this year so far.

Heya, have you seen A Field in England yet? I thought it was quite similar to Berberian Sound Studio thematically speaking (and in terms of the general approach of storytelling/filmmaking), though there were of course differences in style and tone. I remember coming out of the cinema and thinking 'Huh, Plato's Trousers might enjoy that film, I wonder what he'll think of it.' :p:
Reply 8684
Been looking at the in-flight entertainment for my holiday, got a few good films to watch!

The Place Beyond The Pines
Rear Window
Snatch
Iron Man 3

Should hopefully cover the 8 hours! :biggrin:
Rear Window is an amazing film.
Original post by Abiraleft
I watched The Act of Killing today.

It's absolutely astonishing.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Very powerful.

Original post by Abiraleft
Heya, have you seen A Field in England yet? I thought it was quite similar to Berberian Sound Studio thematically speaking (and in terms of the general approach of storytelling/filmmaking), though there were of course differences in style and tone. I remember coming out of the cinema and thinking 'Huh, Plato's Trousers might enjoy that film, I wonder what he'll think of it.' :p:

I have, but I was disappointed. In fact I left before the end as I was so bored. Just seemed like a load of incoherent, drug induced rambling to me. Couldn't see the point at all.

I like some of his other films (Down Terrace was excellent), but he's a terribly patchy director.

Rear Window is an amazing film.

It certainly is. And Grace Kelly was the most beautiful woman who ever walked this earth.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm going to see The Conjuring tomorrow. I hope it does actually live up to the title of Scariest Movie of 2013.
Original post by Decerto
I'm going to see The Conjuring tomorrow. I hope it does actually live up to the title of Scariest Movie of 2013.

I don't like scary movie, they're too scary.
I don't like scary movie, they're too scary.

What sort of movies do you like then? :smile:
Original post by Decerto
What sort of movies do you like then? :smile:

Most, just not too scary ones. I love silly romcoms when I'm in the mood, or just plain action films (although recently I started to lose interest in those if the story is just ****, e.g. latest Die Hard). I guess if I had to choose a favourite genre it would be spy/conspiracy movies (three days of the condor, spy game).
Most, just not too scary ones. I love silly romcoms when I'm in the mood, or just plain action films (although recently I started to lose interest in those if the story is just ****, e.g. latest Die Hard). I guess if I had to choose a favourite genre it would be spy/conspiracy movies (three days of the condor, spy game).

That's nice. I like most movie genres, just not ones that are about just romance.
Original post by Decerto
That's nice. I like most movie genres, just not ones that are about just romance.

Yes, just romance is bad. E.g. PS I Love You, hated that. But stuff where there is comedy in it and/or the film is beautiful (e.g. Definitely, Maybe with Ryan Reynolds is brilliant) I do like.
Yes, just romance is bad. E.g. PS I Love You, hated that. But stuff where there is comedy in it and/or the film is beautiful (e.g. Definitely, Maybe with Ryan Reynolds is brilliant) I do like.

I can bear romance if it is mixed with other genres, like you said. What films are you hoping to see soon?
Original post by Decerto
I can bear romance if it is mixed with other genres, like you said. What films are you hoping to see soon?

Hm, quite a few haven't seen too many that were out, live in Switzerland but not at uni anymore so it's hard to find people to go cinema with (too expensive here to go on your own imo). Really wanna see Star Trek and White House Down - my brother really recommended this, Kick Ass 2, The East - love Ellen Page - and Red 2).

Might be a few that I can't think of but those are on my mind at the moment.
Hm, quite a few haven't seen too many that were out, live in Switzerland but not at uni anymore so it's hard to find people to go cinema with (too expensive here to go on your own imo). Really wanna see Star Trek and White House Down - my brother really recommended this, Kick Ass 2, The East - love Ellen Page - and Red 2).

Might be a few that I can't think of but those are on my mind at the moment.

Nice. I'm trying to watch quite a lot off this list.
Just watched Mud. Haven't seen any of Nichols' previous work, so decided to give this a shot based solely on the positive word of mouth and glad I did. Easily one of the year's best.
Really sad I missed my chance at seeing Star Trek before coming back to the UK. No longer in cinemas here but it is back in Amsterdam.
Original post by Decerto
Nice. I'm trying to watch quite a lot off this list.

Seen more than half of those I guess that's good!

Quick Reply

Latest