The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Wondering if anyone can help with this, I'll try and explain, something needs to be done about my friend (call him Brother 1) ASAP.

Spoiler

Spoilered to avoid triggers to be on the safe side. Cheers.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Wondering if anyone can help with this, I'll try and explain, something needs to be done about my friend (call him Brother 1) ASAP.

Spoiler

This may not be realistic in your situation, depending on how 1 feels, but it might help for him to go to a hospital and stay there for a while. The family would know he was safe and probably be able to visit him quite a bit and there would be no risk to brothers 2, 3 and 4. It would also hopefully mean that 1 could eventually be more in control of his problem and possibly even move back in at some stage. As I say though, people may not go for it, especially the parents and 1 so it would have to be done carefully if it were done and may not be a realistic option.
Whatever happens my advice would be to get him (1) back in the system and receiving the help he needs.
I hope it all goes well for everybody involved and brother 1 gets the help he needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone : o I've never posted in this thread but I figured maybe I could get some advice. I realised I probably needed help for depression about 3 months ago. I've been putting off making an appointment because I feel really anxious about going but my boyfriend ended up calling in for me and I'll be seeing someone on Tuesday at 3pm. I really don't know how to go about the appointment... I'm worried I just wont be able to say anything.

For the last month of sixth form I realised I could get away with not going in at all and no one would question it so I would just lie in best most of the day for nearly a whole month while missing important lessons.. I literally only started revising for my A2 exams 3 days before my first exam because I had ZERO motivation.. When my exams finally started I couldn't sleep at all. I would go into pretty much every exams having not slept all night. So I really think I'm done. I worked so hard so I could study Medicine but in the end I couldn't do it. Since I stopped going in I've also been avoiding all of my friends and I just stare at the computer screen and do nothing most days now that exams are over :frown: I have no reason to really be unhappy about anything, I just don't feel much about anything. I didn't feel anything when I got my university offers, been avoiding people pretty much all year and I don't know why. I just felt anxious being around people all of a sudden. Like I don't want to bother them with my presence because they probably don't want to spend time with me anyway. Don't know if there's anything else that makes me feel I need help but that's what I can think of right now.
Reply 5423
Feeling kinda weird about my body. since becoming very underweight last year I have been fairly consistently putting on weight for the last eight months. BMI is still only around 20 so am hardly overweight or any thing but man I feel huge. Have done next to no exercise during this time so has all come back on as fat and I just feel gross.

is a weird feeling because I have never been one to care at all over my body/appearance, but now I'm thinking maybe that's just because I have always been happy with my body. Feel pretty annoyed with myself for caring. Used to be an avid runner, as well as lots of other exercise, so had a fair amount of muscle definition and am not used to all this flabbyness. It definitely shows the difference between muscle and fat weight - I think I weigh a tad less than I did at my most healthiest but am quite noticeably bigger. urgh. Feeling fat and ugly and disgusting. :sad:
Reply 5424
Original post by avhhs
I did go this week and also managed to talk about the thoughts I get. But despite that things are not looking good for me at all :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Proud of you! Really pleased you've decided to keep going with therapy! What makes you think that things aren't looking for you at all though? :/
Reply 5425
Original post by Millyshyn
Hi everyone : o I've never posted in this thread but I figured maybe I could get some advice. I realised I probably needed help for depression about 3 months ago. I've been putting off making an appointment because I feel really anxious about going but my boyfriend ended up calling in for me and I'll be seeing someone on Tuesday at 3pm. I really don't know how to go about the appointment... I'm worried I just wont be able to say anything.

For the last month of sixth form I realised I could get away with not going in at all and no one would question it so I would just lie in best most of the day for nearly a whole month while missing important lessons.. I literally only started revising for my A2 exams 3 days before my first exam because I had ZERO motivation.. When my exams finally started I couldn't sleep at all. I would go into pretty much every exams having not slept all night. So I really think I'm done. I worked so hard so I could study Medicine but in the end I couldn't do it. Since I stopped going in I've also been avoiding all of my friends and I just stare at the computer screen and do nothing most days now that exams are over :frown: I have no reason to really be unhappy about anything, I just don't feel much about anything. I didn't feel anything when I got my university offers, been avoiding people pretty much all year and I don't know why. I just felt anxious being around people all of a sudden. Like I don't want to bother them with my presence because they probably don't want to spend time with me anyway. Don't know if there's anything else that makes me feel I need help but that's what I can think of right now.

Hey, welcome to the thread :wavey:

Sorry things aren't going so well, but well done for getting an appointment set up, realising you have a problem and asking for help is often the hardest step. The appointment shouldn't be so bad. Generally most doctors will understand that it's difficult to talk about these things, but they will take you seriously and help you through it. If you do get a ****ty doctor (unlikely, but unfortunately it does happen) please don't be put of by it; you are more than entitled to go and see another one. If you go in there and say something like 'I think I have depression' then the doctor should take it from there and ask you questions to figure out whats going on. They'll most likely get you to do a questionnaire - will probably be the PHQ9 or one very similar which you can google if you like. If you're worried you might forget things you can always write down a list of your symptoms to remind yourself, or even just hand it over if you get tongue tied (I do this all the time cos I'm beyond terrible at talking and they don't mind a bit, it's helpful for them to know exactly what's going on). You could even just print out the last paragraph of your post; it explains things pretty well. Then they will talk through some treatment options for you and probably ask you to come back in a couple of weeks to see how things are. I hope it goes well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5426
So I've got to be under the Home Treatment Team again :sigh: Having my meds changed as the current don't seem to be working, does anyone have an experience of Sertraline?
Absolutely terrified that when I go to the drs next week they'll take everything really seriously and be really worried about things, and I don't want that :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5428
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well done for going - that's a good start at least :smile: Did the therapist not take you very seriously then? :sad:

Original post by Deyesy
Proud of you! Really pleased you've decided to keep going with therapy! What makes you think that things aren't looking for you at all though? :/

He did take me seriously, he is going to write to my GP and psychiatrist about it and thinks that I should increase my Sertaline to 100mg as it is not working at 50mg (been on it for 3 weeks though).

Things don't seem good because I'm spending significant amounts of days in bed and stuff, and finding it hard to sleep at night :erm: also problems at home, more arguments now that the holidays have started.

How are you two? :smile: I haven't really posted for over a week! :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5429
Original post by Idle
So I've got to be under the Home Treatment Team again :sigh: Having my meds changed as the current don't seem to be working, does anyone have an experience of Sertraline?

I've been on that for around 3 weeks at 50mg, doesn't seem to be helping yet. Don't think I've noticed side effects :erm: although if I forget to take it I start getting a headache.

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Officially moved house! :woo: Will be potentially internetless for a while, so please excuse any late replies (later than usual that is :tongue:).

Original post by james1211
Thankyou :smile: I actually just woke up from a nightmare about it where it was the morning of the interview and i couldn't find my suit or any of the things i had prepared.

negged? Have i said something wrong :K:

:hugs: Hope you're feeling better about it now, and don't worry about the neg - sometimes people do it accidentally and don't notice/don't want to own up, or we get the occasional random loser who just negs posts in here for no reason. :rolleyes:

Original post by kiss_me_now9
I don't think I'll ever be ok. I can't even be bothered to go make a cup of tea. Eurgh.

:console: On Depression Society Island, every room shall be fitted with an automatic tea dispenser!

Original post by sunfowers01
I wish i didn't feel so inferior :frown:

Wish you felt as awesome as you are (which is very).

Original post by asdfgah
Had CBT. Didn't talk about Bad Plans. Did talk about other stuff.

Last therapy session I had a flashback which kept going and I was unable to move cos flashback and it lasted about 20-30 mins after the end of my session, so the next patient had to wait 10 mins or so past when their appt was meant to start. She said that's obviously not good for the other person or the practice, which I agree with, but aside from stopping therapy I really don't know what to do. She wasn't trying to guilt me or anything, was more like trying to make a plan to stop it happening again, which makes total sense.. except, I don't think there is a way. If I go then that possibility is always open, so should I just not go? I don't know.

Talked about family stuff which she said was helpful for her to know. Is so confusing when she talks about it being threatening/abusive though cos it's my family. It's totally fair for her to encourage me to get away from danger, but I feel like I deserve all of the bad things so it feels wrong.

My therapist is like, awesome. But I feel in a position of really not knowing what to do because I don't want to damage her work for her and I just can't guarantee that a flashback will never overrun a session. But she's the only one who has been remotely helpful and if I stop therapy I am unlikely to survive for much more than a few weeks, because removing my only hope of recovery means I have nothing to live for, and removing my time in a safe place means I have nowhere safe. And I sort of want to die but still quite a lot don't/am scared.

Bleh.

On the train to Nut.'s now. Staying until Sunday so should be able to get some headspace. But given that I've just sobbed for an hour I feel ****ing guilty for inflicting myself on her. So confused.

Well done for saying some stuff at least, hope it proved productive. :smile:

I agree with the others that it's not your fault, and together with your therapist you should be able to work out an appointment time that's easier to extend when necessary.

And you don't deserve bad things at all. :no:

Original post by zonkfrog
Trying to find a new flat for next year. Its proving very difficult :frown:

:console: I hate it when house hunting gets stressful. Good luck on finding a place - there'll be somewhere out there right for you! :smile:

Was in Preston, then Liverpool. Now in Lake Windermere :h:

Windemere!!! I love that place. Have you gone for a row on the lake yet? I always get blisters on my hands, but it's totally worth it.

Original post by Sabertooth
I always worry so much before appointments with my psychiatrist. I was standing at the bus stop beforehand today unable to stop shaking. Then I get there and she's perfectly nice and understanding. Why do I always freak myself out loads? :colondollar:

Gonna give risperidone a go. Anyone here taken it? Side effects? Hoping for avoiding a repeat of the olanzapine weight gain.

:jumphug: Glad the appointment went well despite your fears.

Original post by Team_McDreamy
ED triggering, so sorry :frown:

Spoiler

:hugs: I really suggest you talk to someone and get help. There are ways of healthily losing weight, but it's important to be getting the right kind of support when you need it.

Original post by VaVe
Been on sertraline for a couple of weeks now and I think it might be working. I don't think that it's going to be a straight line to getting better and everything will be okay but it might not get worse.
In other news I almost fell off 3m high scaffolding at work but managed to catch myself with my upper arma which are now horribly bruised but at least nothing is broken. Feel really guilty about it though which isn't logically at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really glad things are getting better for you. :smile:

Original post by PonchoKid
Don't know what to do, really concernd about someone on here :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Hope you talked to someone about it, it's important not to be the sole one carrying that kind of a burden.

Original post by Sultana
So really seriously do you mean it? Because maybe I can just about deal if I know I have a time frame but not if this is just some sadistic ploy to keep me hanging around forever. And to be honest I don't really know what help you can give me any way unless of course you're secretly a wizard and you can magic away the outside and everything else non-safe and threatening. And it's definitely not fair to ask any way. I don't know I really hope you do mean it because I really really want to do it right but i dont think i will be able to for much longer. am kinda hoping you are secretly a wizard and can just magic it all together for me :redface:

Yeah I mean it! If you want a definite timescale, then I'd say the earliest I can do is September, but I should be free all that month apart from camping. Tragically I have yet to discover my wizardly powers, but I'll do my best to reassure you when you need it, fend off interlopers, and interpret our strange Scottish ways for you. :tongue:

Do you want me to get the train down to your place and then we'll travel up the whole way together? Let me know and I'll start looking into tickets. Also shall I see if we can both stay with my parents, or do you want to get a hostel/hotel alone or with me?

Original post by whitepearlbaby
One month until I'm flying to England and doing my 3rd year. Oh god. Every time I think about it, I feel like I'm having a heart attack. Scared as hell.

Hey! :smile: Do you want to talk specifically about what's scaring you, or is it the whole everythingness of it all? :tongue:

Original post by -FireFlies-
Currently in the car going to where I'll be staying for a while. So which means I won't be on here anymore or I'll not be on as much depending if they let me keep my phone or not :/. A few people on here know where it is I'm going but I'm not gonna say publicly.. Personal reasons and all. Never been so scared in my life before.

But just wanted to say a big thanks to those who've helped me :smile: and you guys are all awesome! This thread has become my wee little family and I'll never forget you guys! Take care guys, stay safe x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon. :smile:

Original post by ANONYM00SE
Baking is so therapeutic.......
making the most chocolatey chocolate cake ever to exist for my boyfriend as a surprise... and it's flour free so I can eat it too :biggrin:

Baking! :adore: Just need to get my new oven plugged in and I'll be baking baking baking all day long!

Top tip: don't fill in DLA forms sober unless you absolutely have to.

Fixed. :mmm:

Seriously, alcohol helps with this kind of thing!

Original post by sunfowers01
I'm fed up with life. It's too complicated.

:hugs:

Original post by Sabertooth
Hello risperidone. :nothing:

I feel like I fell out of the sleepy tree and hit every branch on the way down then got hoisted up and dropped again then when I was on the floor snorlax hit me with the sleepy stick and jiggilypuff used sing on me and it was super effective. My awakening potion (coffee) is not effective. :yawn:

Wife wants to go to the gym, I can barely cross the room to fill up my coffee.

Hey sleepy! Get your wife to buy you a ****-ton of iced coffee. Might not wake you up, but it's still delicious and cold and I WANT MORE ICED COFFEE

Original post by Morgsie
I am struggling atm because a relative of mine is dying and has a few days left

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get to spend some time with them. :console:

Original post by asdfgah
Staying with Nut. (and an old old MHSS member from way before my time) atm. Just in case anyone heard about the body found and knows where we are, wasn't either of us. Have had a concerned phone call from my dad on that front...

Went out today and ended up a bit of a mess. Had collapsey flashback on the pavement by a bus stop. After about half an hour trying to recover, walked a bit further and ended up going again on a bit of grass. Luckily someone fab realised what was happening and gave us a lift home (a known safe person, not a stranger :tongue:). When we got back I had another long one. I think plan is to go to the med centre for benzos if they keep happening, because I have some but it's emergency reserves so I refuse to use it unless I'm trying to stay 'here' around my family.

Other than PTSD being a ****, I'm doing pretty ok. Getting periods of total hopelessness after flashbacks but otherwise relieved to be away from family and home. Was so nice to wake up this morning and know I was safe for the whole day, and I'm here until Sunday. :smile: So things are being horrible and challenging but I think it's the lesser of two evils. And N is being lovelybubbles and giving me lots of hugs, which helps.

:hugs: everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whowhowho??? Wanna know! And say hi to them if it's anyone I know.

Glad you are not a body, and also that you are safely surrounded by Nut.ty goodness. :h:

Ok now I've got a mental image of your face smeared with Nutella. :s-smilie: DId I have too much coffee again?

Original post by Wilfred Little

Spoiler

I'd offer to go with Brother 2 (and Brother 1 if he's amenable) to the doctor and explain the situation. Ask if you can get B1 assessed by someone, e.g. the Community Mental Health Team, and also for a list of options/contact details for halfway houses, sheltered accommodation etc. Hospital might also be a good idea, however space is always limited and he'd probably have to go voluntarily as it doesn't sound like he's currently sectionable.

I'd also see if in the meantime you can get brothers 3 and 4 away for a while, staying with relatives or friends. No need to let on about the full situation if that's not wanted, just say something vague about a family crisis.

Good luck to your friend and his family. :smile:

Original post by Millyshyn

Hey. :smile: If you don't know what to say in your appointment, one easy thing you could do is just print off what you've written here and hand it over. It's also fine to take your boyfriend in and have him explain things. Generally these appointments go easier than you expect - you just say you think you've got depression, and they'll ask you a bunch of questions/get you to fill in a questionnaire or two. They'll lead the conversation, so don't worry about what to say.

Original post by Sultana
Feeling kinda weird about my body. since becoming very underweight last year I have been fairly consistently putting on weight for the last eight months. BMI is still only around 20 so am hardly overweight or any thing but man I feel huge. Have done next to no exercise during this time so has all come back on as fat and I just feel gross.

is a weird feeling because I have never been one to care at all over my body/appearance, but now I'm thinking maybe that's just because I have always been happy with my body. Feel pretty annoyed with myself for caring. Used to be an avid runner, as well as lots of other exercise, so had a fair amount of muscle definition and am not used to all this flabbyness. It definitely shows the difference between muscle and fat weight - I think I weigh a tad less than I did at my most healthiest but am quite noticeably bigger. urgh. Feeling fat and ugly and disgusting. :sad:

:hugs: Feeling in a similar position. My BMI is goddamn perfect, but I still dislike not being unreasonably skinny. :tongue:

Original post by Idle

:console: Sorry to hear it. I was only on sertraline for a few days as I started having the same bad reaction to my previous meds (tachycardia problems), but I think my reaction was fairly unusual. Hope it works for you. :smile:
Reply 5431
Original post by whitepearlbaby
I haven't needed it in a while, but maybe I should change that :h: Things could be better. Hope you're okay :h:

I don't think I have you on there anymore as I had a clear out of people I hadn't seen on in months! PM me :smile:

Original post by avhhs
I've been on that for around 3 weeks at 50mg, doesn't seem to be helping yet. Don't think I've noticed side effects :erm: although if I forget to take it I start getting a headache.

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm going on that dosage to start with, they don't usually take full effect for a couple of months :smile:
Reply 5432
Original post by superwolf
:console: Sorry to hear it. I was only on sertraline for a few days as I started having the same bad reaction to my previous meds (tachycardia problems), but I think my reaction was fairly unusual. Hope it works for you. :smile:

I think they have been a bit over the top tbh, yeah I am not great in terms of mood and motivation but that is about the full extent of it. Since I need to taper off my current meds and start the new ones I'm going to most likely get worse before I get better so apparently they need to 'monitor' me but I have always called up if I am seriously bad in the past so :iiam:

Also i'm hoping my mum won't find out as no doubt she will get seriously arsey and claim I am making the whole thing up.
Reply 5433
It does not help when I have been stabbed in the back and thrown under a bus
Wolfie: TLG does NOT row. Rowing is exercise :ninja: :p: :sadnod:

Original post by Idle

:hugs: All the best people are on Sertraline :smug: Or at least they were until I got taken off it. I'm still not sure why I was taken off it. I thought it was doing the job fine. Really helped to stabilise my mood and make little things bearable/even enjoyable sometimes :yes:

Original post by avhhs
He did take me seriously, he is going to write to my GP and psychiatrist about it and thinks that I should increase my Sertaline to 100mg as it is not working at 50mg (been on it for 3 weeks though).

Things don't seem good because I'm spending significant amounts of days in bed and stuff, and finding it hard to sleep at night :erm: also problems at home, more arguments now that the holidays have started.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah glad you were taken seriously - was worried for a moment, since there are some **** therapists out there :sadnod:

:hugs: about spending lots of time in bed and about problems at home. I can empathise with that, since there are problems at home this end :s-smilie:
Reply 5435
Whowhowho??? Wanna know! And say hi to them if it's anyone I know.

Glad you are not a body, and also that you are safely surrounded by Nut.ty goodness. :h:

Ok now I've got a mental image of your face smeared with Nutella. :s-smilie: DId I have too much coffee again?

Chrisofsmeg, I think he was called. :smile:

---

Have had some really traumatic news, which isn't what either of us needed. Had some support from the university mental health coordinator. Everything is a bit of a mess and I can't write anymore, but if anyone could send positive thoughts this way they would be much appreciated. Might not be able to post anymore for a while but will do if I can. Things are really **** but we are both safe.
Friday...bah.

One week left to think of a plan to get out of this situation otherwise *poof* that's it, it's the end. :frown:

My thoughts are way too slow to think of anything and whenver I get close they steal the thought so I'm back to the beginning.
Original post by asdfgah
Chrisofsmeg, I think he was called. :smile:

---

Have had some really traumatic news, which isn't what either of us needed. Had some support from the university mental health coordinator. Everything is a bit of a mess and I can't write anymore, but if anyone could send positive thoughts this way they would be much appreciated. Might not be able to post anymore for a while but will do if I can. Things are really **** but we are both safe.

Oh gosh hun :frown: Don't wanna pressure you or intrude on what's happening but if talking would help at all, you know how to get hold of me :yes:

:jumphug:
Reply 5438
Original post by avhhs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I'd say 3 weeks isn't long enough to be able to tell whether or not the dosage you're on is working? But I'm not a qualified health professional and don't know all your circumstances, so they're definitely in a better position to say whether or not it's having an effect or not. Hopefully the upped dose will help though :bigsmile: Okay, so that definitely something you could change? You could try and proactively get out of bed and you talked about getting/having a gym membership? Could you not try and go there more often? It'd mean you're out of bed and out of your house for at least part of the day if the arguments at home are having an negative effect? Plus exercise is like proven to be for our wellbeing; so it'd be effectively be killing three birds with one stone? :smile:

Me? Uh. I'm just longing for university to start so I'm nowhere near as isolated as I am at the moment. It's not doing me any good. I'm out quite abit this month though for various reasons which should hopefully mean August is easier than July to cope with :h: It would have been much harder to deal without the said person being in my life and she knows who she is and will probably read this post :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5439
Officially moved house! :woo: Will be potentially internetless for a while, so please excuse any late replies (later than usual that is :tongue:).

:console: I hate it when house hunting gets stressful. Good luck on finding a place - there'll be somewhere out there right for you! :smile:

Thanks. Its less about somewhere that suits me as just somewhere :frown: There are few places available and they vanish as soon as the adverts go online. Looking like it might be a cardboard box for next semester but it'll be ok i'll decorate it and make it pretty. :smile:

Latest