The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Language Tutorial Times

Hi all, newbie here. After graduating at Uni over 10 years ago *gulp* I have decided that I want to pursue my ambition of being able to speak some foreign languages. So I am going to do an Open University degree in Language Studies (German and Spanish).

I am signing up for Beginners Spanish (L194), and Intermediate German (L130) from October. I have a couple of questions around the tutorials which I am hoping someone will know the answers to.

What times are the online tutorials usually? How often are there face to face tutorials and are these at weekends?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

unfortunately I can't help with your query but thought I'd say hi anyway. I'm also starting the language degree in October but doing English with Spanish. Starting the same Spanish course in October. I've only registered for 30 credits this year and starting to think its too little. What is your situation? I currently work full time and don't feel that I can give this more than around 12 hours a week so don't know whether to make the leap and go for 60 or not? Don't know if you can add friends or whatever on here but would be good if we could chat, could practise with each other on the Spanish?

Thanks,

Emma
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi Emma. I have been debating with myself on what is best to do as well. I've decided to go for the 60 credits as the Stage 2 and 3 classes in German and Spanish will be 60 credits so I thought it would be best to get used to it now. I will never know if its too much unless I give it a go. I bought the German Beginners OU books from Amazon for revision and to get use to structure.

I too work full time with a long commute from my place near Glasgow working in Edinburgh. As I'm travelling by coach for around 3 hours a day I thought it would be good to make it productive.

Sounds good to buddy up for Spanish. I'd like to build up a network with people in the classes to practise, especially the speaking elements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya! I'm planning on signing up for intermediate German in October, too. Don't know anything about the tutorial times, though.
Reply 4
Hi,

I've now called and registered onto another 30 credit module so will be doing 60 in October.

That journey is very good for learning then!

Where does your German knowledge come from? Have you found out about the tutorials?

Emma.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'll officially taken the plunge and paid my money to do L194 - Beg Spanish and L130 - Intermediate German. No backing out now, worth giving it a try.

Octopus_Garden - great, no doubt our paths will cross on the course :smile: I will certainly be keen to get involved in study groups to practise the speaking and listening elements.

Emma - Is it an English class you have signed up as extra? My knowledge of German comes from school (too many years ago to mention). I have taken an interest when in Germany to make a point of speaking my pigeon German, so I've kept a hand in slightly. I couldn't make up my mind where to do the Beginners course or not, but I noticed that the books could be bought from Amazon so I thought I would do some self learning until October. Time will tell if that was the right decision, sink or swim in the intermediate course.

I haven't heard anything yet on tutorials. I suppose as many of their students are also working full time they need to have times like that available. I have a long commute so the later the better ideally.
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'm on a different smaller course (15 points) at the moment with the OU, and I have telephone tutorials in the evenings between 7 and 9, every so often.
I have a complete set of OU Beginners German (Rundblick) books from 2004 (no CDs though), which I'm willing to post to anyone in return for a notional price + p&p. But you might find it to be cheaper to get the set from Amazon instead! There's six of the books.
Reply 8
Octopus garden, how much are you willing to sell your books for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma262
Octopus garden, how much are you willing to sell your books for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
£20 for the set + however much P&P is?
I've recently discovered that the audio recordings for the beginners language courses at the OU are available on iTunes.

If you didn't already know, have a look. http://www.open.ac.uk/platform/news-and-features/languages-tap

http://www.open.edu/itunes/subjects/languages
I've signed up for intermediate French (L120)! I'm quite nervous because I haven't done beginners French so I don't know if I'm at the right level. I'm not sure if I need to buy a new microphone for the online tutorials?

Original post by Octopus_Garden
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'm on a different smaller course (15 points) at the moment with the OU, and I have telephone tutorials in the evenings between 7 and 9, every so often.

Are you doing the access to success thing? My telephone 'tutorials' were a joke when I did it, I hope it's not the same as that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Samual
I've signed up for intermediate French (L120)! I'm quite nervous because I haven't done beginners French so I don't know if I'm at the right level. I'm not sure if I need to buy a new microphone for the online tutorials?
*High five* So have I!

They have sample TMAs and book excerpts on the site here http://fels.open.ac.uk/language-diagnostics/

Hopefully it will make you feel more confident!

Are you doing the access to success thing? My telephone 'tutorials' were a joke when I did it, I hope it's not the same as that.
I did the science openings one, and they were okay for that. I much prefer books though.
*High five* So have I!

They have sample TMAs and book excerpts on the site here http://fels.open.ac.uk/language-diagnostics/

Hopefully it will make you feel more confident!

I had a look through that a few days ago and to be honest it has made me very worried. My spoken French is terrible and my written French is okay, but I often have to check the correct conjugation of verbs, and I sometimes forget how to form certain tenses. I have heard such varying accounts of L120 I really do not know what to expect! Did you do beginners French?
Original post by Samual
I had a look through that a few days ago and to be honest it has made me very worried. My spoken French is terrible and my written French is okay, but I often have to check the correct conjugation of verbs, and I sometimes forget how to form certain tenses. I have heard such varying accounts of L120 I really do not know what to expect! Did you do beginners French?
No, I've skipped over that module because I took GCSE French instead this year (grade pending until results day). I needed to get official clearance to to begin at L120 from a languages member of staff, though.

Technically it could be argued that I could start at Intermediate, due to the GCSE's nominal status at B1 on the Common European Reference Framework for Languages, which the OU courses are also measured against. But, the reality is, that like you, my spoken French is terrible, and my conjugations are shaky!

So, L120 looks about right.

I hope...
No, I've skipped over that module because I took GCSE French instead this year (grade pending until results day). I needed to get official clearance to to begin at L120 from a languages member of staff, though.

Technically it could be argued that I could start at Intermediate, due to the GCSE's nominal status at B1 on the Common European Reference Framework for Languages, which the OU courses are also measured against. But, the reality is, that like you, my spoken French is terrible, and my conjugations are shaky!

So, L120 looks about right.

I hope...

Oh I didn't have to get clearance, that is weird. I have been doing French lessons with a tutor for a while and I was supposed to take the GCSE in June but I couldn’t find an exam centre who were willing to take me. My tutor said she thinks I would have got at least a B, so I decided to skip beginners and go for L120. I have now found an exam centre, so I’m thinking about doing an AS in French alongside the OU course. :pierre:
Original post by Samual
Oh I didn't have to get clearance, that is weird. I have been doing French lessons with a tutor for a while and I was supposed to take the GCSE in June but I couldn’t find an exam centre who were willing to take me. My tutor said she thinks I would have got at least a B, so I decided to skip beginners and go for L120. I have now found an exam centre, so I’m thinking about doing an AS in French alongside the OU course. :pierre:
I'm sure that AS is higher level than L120, so you will be fine!

I'm actually considering taking AS French alongside this as well. It all depends on whether I get a job before September! If I get any of the jobs I've applied for, I'll concentrate on the degree and enjoy having a proper income. If I don't, I'll continue working on getting qualifications while I continue my job-search.
Reply 17
I'm sure that AS is higher level than L120, so you will be fine!

I'm actually considering taking AS French alongside this as well. It all depends on whether I get a job before September! If I get any of the jobs I've applied for, I'll concentrate on the degree and enjoy having a proper income. If I don't, I'll continue working on getting qualifications while I continue my job-search.

Butting in your conversation to say that I'm doing L120 this year too :biggrin:
Original post by Yamahooha
Butting in your conversation to say that I'm doing L120 this year too :biggrin:
Welcome! My forms arrived today, and I'm filling them in right now!

Yay, there's going to be loads of people for me to ask for help this year!
Reply 19
Welcome! My forms arrived today, and I'm filling them in right now!

Yay, there's going to be loads of people for me to ask for help this year!

Awesome. It'll be good to get a load of support groups going :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending