The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jatz07
Hey,

One of my cousins is a doctor, well I am not going to lie but from his experience, if you are going to become a doctor it can be hard in terms of the hours... for example, sometimes if you're a doctor you may be on call (the work can phone you randomly and expect you to come in if a patient's life is in danger)

You don't get sued if you get the job right, but my cousin did say that you do meet a wide range of patients who can sometimes be quite rude and irritant, but as a doctor you need to calm the patient

You still do have fun on the weekends ! but not as much...

however, once you're a doctor you're set for life in terms of money and helping patient's lives etc...

i'm thinking of dentistry (dental surgeon) rather than medicine though

Jatz

Hey,

Thanks for the answer. Dentistry sounds good too :smile: I'm just a bit uncomfortable sticking my fingers in people's mouths on a daily basis lol. I don't like the 'not as much' part :/ but I'm gonna think about medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
my school is really dodgy! :lol:

basically we do IT nationals in year 8 and 9 (sometimes 10)
PE BTEC is done in year 9 and 10
we pick 2 1 year options for year 9 10 and 11
and we sit maths and English in year 10 depending on ability (these can then do lit/stats in year 11)
Sciences everybody sits in year 10 and 11 over 2 years :smile:

Woah :O

At my school we aren't allowed to sit any early without a sure fire guarantee of an A* (ie you're actually German/French/Spanish/Greek/Russian/etc so you sit the relevant language exam or you're a maths prodigy that's been doing GCSE maths essentially from birth). The only exams you sit in year 10 are modules (RS or Classics or in some cases Maths), everything else is sat at the end of year 11 and STRESS. 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly_xox
Woah :O

At my school we aren't allowed to sit any early without a sure fire guarantee of an A* (ie you're actually German/French/Spanish/Greek/Russian/etc so you sit the relevant language exam or you're a maths prodigy that's been doing GCSE maths essentially from birth). The only exams you sit in year 10 are modules (RS or Classics or in some cases Maths), everything else is sat at the end of year 11 and STRESS. 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha so your school is a more normal school then :wink:

and in year 9 I picked AiDA (IT thind) and History (:/) year 10 Spanish and Human health and physiology and in year 11 separate sciences so I could do triple and not double, and I did bronze DofE enrichment
haha so your school is a more normal school then :wink:

and in year 9 I picked AiDA (IT thind) and History (:/) year 10 Spanish and Human health and physiology and in year 11 separate sciences so I could do triple and not double, and I did bronze DofE enrichment

Since year 10 (when decisions were finalised) I've studied:
English Lit
English
Maths
Triple IGCSE science
French
Spanish
RS
History

Then next year I need to choose 4 and I can only definitely rule out 4 of the ten :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Lit
English
Maths
Triple IGCSE science
French
Spanish
RS
History

Then next year I need to choose 4 and I can only definitely rule out 4 of the ten :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

which four are they ? and what do you want to do ??
Original post by tess_rach
"How useful is Thornbury Castle when studying the development of castles from 1066-c.1550?" What about yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cant remember word for word but something like "How useful is Fountains Abbey as a source for historians" what mark did u get on urs?
Reply 1566
Anyone do WJEC history course?
We do one year gcses, meaning we do two options each year. It's like:

Y9
Op 1
Op 2

Y10
Op 3
Op 4
Eng lang
Maths
Sci 1
PE btec

Y11
Op 5
Op 6
Eng lit (or lang retake)
As Maths/Cit (or gcse retake)
Sci 2
Pe gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
which four are they ? and what do you want to do ??

I'm trying to choose between the 3 sciences, French, Spanish and Philosophy+Ethics

In the future...I don't know. Medicine/medical science, languages or philosophy :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess

Y9
Op 1
Op 2

Y10
Op 3
Op 4
Eng lang
Maths
Sci 1
PE btec

Y11
Op 5
Op 6
Eng lit (or lang retake)
Sci 2
Pe gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems so strange to me :') my school barely offers any subjects - no PE/ICT/Sociology/Psychology/Business Studies...etc for us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm trying to choose between the 3 sciences, French, Spanish and Philosophy+Ethics

In the future...I don't know. Medicine/medical science, languages or philosophy :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wow errr definitely need to narrow down then :wink:

well I don't know what philosophy entails and what careers are available .. so i'd go for the other two and have you A levels as Chemistry, Biology Spanish and French as it is a blend of both and will keep both of those doors open for you :smile:.. I even believe whilst at Uni doing medicine you could do a 6 year course with a year abroad :smile:
Original post by Obiejess

Y9
Op 1
Op 2

Y10
Op 3
Op 4
Eng lang
Maths
Sci 1
PE btec

Y11
Op 5
Op 6
Eng lit (or lang retake)
Sci 2
Pe gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

similar to mine then except we do IT in yr 8 & 9 .. and we do PE BTEC for 2 years in 9 and 10 :-)
My school does everything exam related in may/June. Its great for 4 years and 6 months then it goes to hell. We are one of the leading public schools so I guess its working

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh wow errr definitely need to narrow down then :wink:

well I don't know what philosophy entails and what careers are available .. so i'd go for the other two and have you A levels as Chemistry, Biology Spanish and French as it is a blend of both and will keep both of those doors open for you :smile:.. I even believe whilst at Uni doing medicine you could do a 6 year course with a year abroad :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: I'll have a think again, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible :')

Which subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :biggrin: I'll have a think again, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible :')

Which subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics :smile:
I'm unsure if I want to do maths at uni or something like medicine. Im best at maths by far but I don't vknow what maths would get me into vthat excites me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
I'm unsure if I want to do maths at uni or something like medicine. Im best at maths by far but I don't vknow what maths would get me into vthat excites me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are the rest of your grades like? and what A levels will you be taking ?
Further, chem bio

Id probably get 7-9.A/A* between 3-8 A* I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Lit
English
Maths
Triple IGCSE science
French
Spanish
RS
History

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did almost exactly the same GCSEs (or iGCSEs) as you (except geography>spanish) :O What are you doing for A-Levels?
Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics :smile:

Maths would be my worst nightmare :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest