The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maid Marian
I'd love him to be ginger. Both 10 and 11 expressed disappointment at not being ginger! :redface: I want the Doctor to get his wish.

But tbh, I just really really really want it to be Capaldi :daydreaming:

Darn bookies getting us excited! Not that they've ever been right but apparently Daniel Rigby is a favourite but no, he's a great actor but he just doesn't look 'right' the way Matt Smith does.

Here's some of the odds atm:
Peter Capaldi 13/8
Daniel Rigby 5/2
Ben Daniels 4/1
Rory Kinnear 6/1
David Harewood 10/1
Ben Whishaw 14/1
Idris Elba 16/1
Chiwetel Ejifor 16/1
Russell Tovey 16/1
Sheridan Smith 20/1
Sophie Okonedo 25/1
Hugh Bonneville 25/1
Damian Lewis 50/1
Eddie Redmaybe 25/1
Phillip Glenister 25/1
Olivia Colman 33/1
David Mitchell 33/1
James Corden 50/1
Hugh Grant 50/1
Katherine Kelly 50/1

Can't say I care for most of them tbh but most sound rather rediculous.

Urgh, I doubt he would. I really don't like Moffat as a person :s-smilie:

I wonder how he'll write the 12th Doctor? It's always seemed to me like Moffat has a very limited range of characters he can write. I'm scared that he'll write 12 with a very similar personality (all the quirkiness and goofiness) to 11.

Is it because he's a 'troll' or for another reason? I see a lot of moffat hate yet i'm not really sure why (outside of silly sexism allegations).

He certainly has a way he likes to write his main characters but i'd like it if they went back to Hartnell level of sheer grumpiness :yep: Though judging by the audition script it will be the same 'old goofiness which I don't mind too much.
Only just recognised Daniel Rigby as the bloke off the BT ads. Do. Not. Want.

Peter Capaldi is awesome in The Thick of It but I'm not sure if I want him as the Doctor. And there really is no one else on that list I'm remotely interested in seeing as the Doctor (maybe David Mitchell).

Richard Madden or unknown pls.
Is it just me who doesn't want it to Peter Capalidi? :erm:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Darn bookies getting us excited! Not that they've ever been right but apparently Daniel Rigby is a favourite but no, he's a great actor but he just doesn't look 'right' the way Matt Smith does.

Here's some of the odds atm:
Peter Capaldi 13/8
Daniel Rigby 5/2
Ben Daniels 4/1
Rory Kinnear 6/1
David Harewood 10/1
Ben Whishaw 14/1
Idris Elba 16/1
Chiwetel Ejifor 16/1
Russell Tovey 16/1
Sheridan Smith 20/1
Sophie Okonedo 25/1
Hugh Bonneville 25/1
Damian Lewis 50/1
Eddie Redmaybe 25/1
Phillip Glenister 25/1
Olivia Colman 33/1
David Mitchell 33/1
James Corden 50/1
Hugh Grant 50/1
Katherine Kelly 50/1

Can't say I care for most of them tbh but most sound rather rediculous.

Is it because he's a 'troll' or for another reason? I see a lot of moffat hate yet i'm not really sure why (outside of silly sexism allegations).

He certainly has a way he likes to write his main characters but i'd like it if they went back to Hartnell level of sheer grumpiness :yep: Though judging by the audition script it will be the same 'old goofiness which I don't mind too much.

I didn't know who Daniel Rigby is so I looked him up, and he's that guy off that advert! I *REALLY* don't want it to be him! :cry2:

From that list, my first choice is Capaldi, second choice is Ben Daniels.

I don't like Moffat because I just find him really smug. I don't mind that he's a troll or that he lies, particularly, but I think that he thinks he's a better showrunner/writer than he is.
I don't know if he's sexist or not, but I don't like the way he writes women characters tbh. :erm:

I don't have much faith in him to write convincingly for the 12th Doctor. I mean, 11 and Sherlock have incredibly similar personalities. That's definitely the type of character Moffat likes to write for. I feel like 12 will just be another 11. :erm: Hopefully whichever actor is picked will be able to make the role their own, though! :smile:
Original post by Mr.Messy
Only just recognised Daniel Rigby as the bloke off the BT ads. Do. Not. Want.

He did win the Bafta for his role in the Morcambe and Wise production, which he is great in, but yeah, it'll take a lot to convince me of him. I want my Doctor older preferably.

Peter Capaldi is awesome in The Thick of It but I'm not sure if I want him as the Doctor. And there really is no one else on that list I'm remotely interested in seeing as the Doctor (maybe David Mitchell).

Richard Madden or unknown pls.

David Mitchell would actually be pretty funny as a one off :colone: His nasal voice would strike fear into the heart of all cybermen.

Maybe they could do another comic relief ep where they just rattle through all the people who would make awesome Doctors, give them one quip, then kill them off.
Peter Capaldi is the only one who I could see as the doctor, fantastic actor.

I don't like Moffat because I just find him really smug. I don't mind that he's a troll or that he lies, particularly, but I think that he thinks he's a better showrunner/writer than he is.
I don't know if he's sexist or not, but I don't like the way he writes women characters tbh. :erm:

I don't have much faith in him to write convincingly for the 12th Doctor. I mean, 11 and Sherlock have incredibly similar personalities. That's definitely the type of character Moffat likes to write for. I feel like 12 will just be another 11. :erm: Hopefully whichever actor is picked will be able to make the role their own, though! :smile:

At one point I saw Bill Baiely as a 100/1 choice. That would actually make my life.

To be fair, if I woke up every day to see some BAFTA's on the shelf, I think I would be pretty smug :colone: But yeah, you see it a bit in Sherlock where you're sure they think it's cleverer than what it is but I still like him more than Davies (see 'Revaltions' for something thinking it's more profound than what it is) and he comes off as a nice enough bloke whenever i've seen him. I guess when you're head of two massive series, do loads of interviews all the time you're not going to be able to show yourself at your best.
I'd love it to be Peter Capaldi, he's fantastic.

I would be expecting him to go into a Malcolm Tucker inspired tirade of swearing at the Daleks though :wink:

If it is Capaldi there'll be a double explanation needed for earlier appearances - as Caecilius in Fires of Pompeii, and John Frobisher in Torchwood Children of Earth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Feefifofum
If it is Capaldi there'll be a double explanation needed for earlier appearances - as Caecilius in Fires of Pompeii, and John Frobisher in Torchwood Children of Earth.

Well, they never bothered explaining Amy's appearance in Fires of Pompeii

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
Well, they never bothered explaining Amy's appearance in Fires of Pompeii

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but they sometimes take the time to do it. Like with Martha and her 'cousin'.
Original post by Feefifofum
No, but they sometimes take the time to do it. Like with Martha and her 'cousin'.

True, it'd be interesting to see if they explained it or just glossed over it again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
True, it'd be interesting to see if they explained it or just glossed over it again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh remembered another one - Gwen Cooper and the Welsh maid from The Unquiet Dead, where they made a reference to Gwen being from an old Cardiff family etc.

I suspect if it is a recasting of someone who's already been in it they'll just gloss over it. After all, it's easy to explain why there might be a family resemblance between companions and people met in just one episode, but when it's the Doctor that's a bit different :p:

Oooooh I'm so excited!
I don't know how true this is, but apparently Daniel Rigby has pulled out of a play he was supposed to be doing tomorrow night :frown:

I'm really really scared it's him now. :cry2:
I'd prefer a younger Doctor, but pleeeeaaaase oh god, not Daniel Rigby. Nowadays all that i can think of when i see him is BT :no:

I'll be happy with Peter Capaldi though, even though he wasn't my outright fave.
Original post by Orthrus
I'd prefer a younger Doctor, but pleeeeaaaase oh god, not Daniel Rigby. Nowadays all that i can think of when i see him is BT :no:

I'll be happy with Peter Capaldi though, even though he wasn't my outright fave.

I can't understand why Daniel Rigby has risen so high in the list - I find him sort of OK-ish but a bit irritating and he's not even in the same league as recent doctors, surely?

Peter Capaldi would be a stunning choice but maybe he won't do it - I can't quite see him going for it. :frown:
My mone is on Daniel Radcliffe
Original post by Orthrus

Same. That's the only thing I've seen him in, and he is so annoying. :no::no: I'll be gutted if it's him.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I can't understand why Daniel Rigby has risen so high in the list - I find him sort of OK-ish but a bit irritating and he's not even in the same league as recent doctors, surely?

Peter Capaldi would be a stunning choice but maybe he won't do it - I can't quite see him going for it. :frown:

The fact that Capaldi's name has been thrown around everywhere makes me think it isn't him. :sad:
Original post by TopG
My mone is on Daniel Radcliffe

With Emma W as assistant maybe? The Dream Team. :rolleyes:
Reply 1918
BT guy :facepalm2:

**** me, just end the show now if its him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1919
I reckon whoever it is, there's going to be a lot of 'oh no, he won't do as good a job at Matt Smith!' and then he'll turn out to be wonderful.

This is exactly what happened the last two times :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest