The Student Room Group

Damp underwear with unknown cause

I'm a girl and 21.

My underwear often have a damp patch in them at the front. It's not discharge. It looks like I've leaked a bit of urine, however it doesn't smell like urine and I never notice anything coming out. I feel like if I was wetting myself I'd know about it? When I was younger I would sometimes leak if I was desperate and I would always feel it happening. It smells a little bit like sweat and at first I assumed it was that, but thinking about it that doesn't really make sense because then I'd imagine it would be at the back as well as the front (sorry!) and also it seems to have come on in the last few months.

I know I should go to the doctor but obviously it's quite embarrassing, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and knew what it was?
Is there anything that brings it on, for example do you notice it appears in the morning so it probably occurred when you were sleeping? Or is it spontaneous?
Reply 2
If you have any concerns go to the doctor :smile: don't be embarrassed, they are there to help you and have seen it all. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by That Bearded Man
Is there anything that brings it on, for example do you notice it appears in the morning so it probably occurred when you were sleeping? Or is it spontaneous?

No it's not just in the mornings or anything like that. I think sometimes it's triggered if I've been sitting down with my legs crossed for a while, or if I'm feeling particularly awkward or anxious, which is one of the things that made me think it might be sweat, but I don't know.

Anyway, yeah I guess I should go to the doctor...I'll have to build myself up to doing it when I'm back at uni! :tongue:
I sometimes have that. Though I wouldn't say it smells of sweat, but I often have a little damp patch on the front of my underwear. I think it's just most likely a bit of discharge, I don't think you'd always be aware enough to notice it happening.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
No it's not just in the mornings or anything like that. I think sometimes it's triggered if I've been sitting down with my legs crossed for a while, or if I'm feeling particularly awkward or anxious, which is one of the things that made me think it might be sweat, but I don't know.

Anyway, yeah I guess I should go to the doctor...I'll have to build myself up to doing it when I'm back at uni! :tongue:

I assume it to be sweat, from what you've said. But of course, it's difficult to say anything with certainty, hence the importance of asking a doctor. Don't worry about it too much :smile:
I have the same issue. I'm pretty sure it is a small amount of urine.

I have bladder problems (difficulty emptying, weak flow etc) and was on medication for that for a while, and whenever I came off the medication (due to laziness or experimenting) - It seemed to happen more often. Sometimes I could feel it, other times not at all. Does it seem to happen more if you have a full bladder?

If you don't have any other urinary issues (pain, weak flow, trouble emptying, stress incontinence (ie - while laughing or coughing etc), then maybe just keep an eye on it... Without other symptoms, I'm not sure the docs will do much other than perhaps refer you to a continence nurse to give you exercises.
When I say that I could feel it, it didn't feel like I was peeing myself, just a bit of an odd sensation..
Reply 8
Discharge can look very different depending on the time of your menstrual cycle because of hormonal fluctuations. It can be extremely watery just before your period and you wouldn't be able to tell whether it was discharge or water.

Urine obviously smells strongly when it is dry, so if it doesn't smell like it then you can probably rule that out. I'd buy some panty liners and make an appointment with your GP if you're worried.
I get this alot and I'm too embarrassed to go doctors, but been doctors with other things and been doing different amount of tests so if it was something it would have came up I would have thought, so I think it's normal and many just discharge
Original post by rachiexlouise
I get this alot and I'm too embarrassed to go doctors, but been doctors with other things and been doing different amount of tests so if it was something it would have came up I would have thought, so I think it's normal and many just discharge

It's 5 year old thread. I'd hope OP had figured it by now lol
Reply 11
I would agree with "the legs crossed" and would add 'while working with my hot lap top in my lap"

While I don't know what causes it, I have taken to slipping on a condom at night to prevent a larger mess in my bed.
I'm a girl and 21.

My underwear often have a damp patch in them at the front. It's not discharge. It looks like I've leaked a bit of urine, however it doesn't smell like urine and I never notice anything coming out. I feel like if I was wetting myself I'd know about it? When I was younger I would sometimes leak if I was desperate and I would always feel it happening. It smells a little bit like sweat and at first I assumed it was that, but thinking about it that doesn't really make sense because then I'd imagine it would be at the back as well as the front (sorry!) and also it seems to have come on in the last few months.

I know I should go to the doctor but obviously it's quite embarrassing, I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and knew what it was?

Hi... Im 34 and I just recently had this same problem happen to me. I came to google to find answers. Same sweet smell..not like urine...but mine was a bit more than yours. My bed wasn't even wet. Im at a lost for words.
Hi I’m a girl also I experienced that same thing and I just don’t know what it is. And I won’t tell anyone because I’m 18 and have a boyfriend and like u said it’s embarrassing. Did u find out what the cause is ?
Reply 14
I'm a girl and 21.

Hi this my seem weird but I am 11 and have the same issue I am happy someone can relate thxs for posting this
Original post by avapro
Hi this my seem weird but I am 11 and have the same issue I am happy someone can relate thxs for posting this

good for you
Original post by zooface1234
good for you

Chill out, they're 11 -_-
This thread is 7 years old. Can people please start reading dates before reviving a dead thread?
Original post by cleveranimal56
Chill out, they're 11 -_-

oh **** i thought he was capping sorry, idk why I thought that looking back now!

Latest