The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by mubashir9995
Hey guys does anyone know where I can find HCA jobs other than the nhs and bna websites?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DirectGov

They have lots of recruitment agencies and clinics looking or HCAs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 681
Original post by flamegoblin0
Im applying this year and ive seen people mention different languages they can speak, i can speak english and urdu and fully understand hindi/punjabi also but i cant speak it (they`re all very similar), should I include in my personal statement that i can speak all four?

I can speak all of those too, I included it in on mine last year but I geuss I didn't really expand on that. If you would like to include it I would suggest you apply it to an experience where being bilingual was useful :smile: are you a reapplicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I can speak all of those too, I included it in on mine last year but I geuss I didn't really expand on that. If you would like to include it I would suggest you apply it to an experience where being bilingual was useful :smile: are you a reapplicant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you like me?! I can speak urdu and when I do, people who speak punjabi or hindi understand me fully and I understand them but I cant speak it exactly their way! I was going to include it in an event actually :P No, first time round but i would`nt mind taking a gap year as I want to go abroad, what about yourself?
Reply 683
Original post by flamegoblin0
Are you like me?! I can speak urdu and when I do, people who speak punjabi or hindi understand me fully and I understand them but I cant speak it exactly their way! I was going to include it in an event actually :P No, first time round but i would`nt mind taking a gap year as I want to go abroad, what about yourself?

Yeah I can speak Urdu, punjabi and Hindi fluently :smile: you should include it if its relevant to the experience you mentioned

I hope you don't have to take a gap year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
DirectGov

They have lots of recruitment agencies and clinics looking or HCAs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
Thanks a lot!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't recommend it though as they don't respond very often. Plus most of them want experienced HCAs. I would suggest applying to posts on the NHS site that have a salary up to £20,000. HCA is not the only job you can do :smile:

I'm hoping to work as medical lab assistant and I will be helping diagnose patients. So don't limit yourself to HCAs. I did that before and didn't get very far.

Good luck though :wink: perhaps, unlike Manchester, in your location you could find many HCA vacancies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did my ukcat today and got 798 average !!! Wayy better than my 675 last year - I went on Kaplan and I think it helped me improve so much so If you have 300 pounds lying around ( so expensive i know :/) definenetly go and do it !
Reply 687
Original post by Bumble333
Did my ukcat today and got 798 average !!! Wayy better than my 675 last year - I went on Kaplan and I think it helped me improve so much so If you have 300 pounds lying around ( so expensive i know :/) definenetly go and do it !

That's amazing!! Well done :smile:
Yeah I am gonna consider it. Where are you planning to apply? Fantastic score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
That's amazing!! Well done :smile:
Yeah I am gonna consider it. Where are you planning to apply? Fantastic score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou !! May have cried a little bit when I looked at the score was just such a releif as it will hopefully guarantee me an interview at newcastle and Leicester providing the average scores don't go up massively :smile: So yeah think I'm gunna apply to newcastle , Leicester , Leeds and BSMS. Good luck for your ukcat, where do you think you will apply ?
Reply 689
Thankyou !! May have cried a little bit when I looked at the score was just such a releif as it will hopefully guarantee me an interview at newcastle and Leicester providing the average scores don't go up massively :smile: So yeah think I'm gunna apply to newcastle , Leicester , Leeds and BSMS. Good luck for your ukcat, where do you think you will apply ?

Does KAPLAN have some sort of guarantee? What if I flop the UKCAT again. :frown: lol

Nice choice. I'm planning to apple to Lancaster and Liverpool if my UKCAT goes badly. If not then hull York, UEA, Manchester and maybe Leicester ( I applied last time and just missed the cut off so hopefully I can make up for that this year with an improved PS and UKCAT score :smile: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I wouldn't recommend it though as they don't respond very often. Plus most of them want experienced HCAs. I would suggest applying to posts on the NHS site that have a salary up to £20,000. HCA is not the only job you can do :smile:

I'm hoping to work as medical lab assistant and I will be helping diagnose patients. So don't limit yourself to HCAs. I did that before and didn't get very far.

Good luck though :wink: perhaps, unlike Manchester, in your location you could find many HCA vacancies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you a gap year re-applicant or are you in university? And where can i apply for the medical lab assistant job? on the NHS website?
Also do i need to make a new CV? And if i do what am i supposed to put in the CV? lol i really dont have a clue what they employers are looking for in candidates
and thanks a lot for your help!

How long is the KAPLAN course? and do you really think its worth the 300 quid?
How long is the KAPLAN course? and do you really think its worth the 300 quid?

It's a 2 day course in a classroom but then you get all the online stuff which is about 40 hours worth of practise including 5 mock tests which are literally identical to the ukcat so for me it was totally worth it i think partly cause it actually made me focus on it as before I had no motivation. Also the methods they give you really help especially with timing :smile:
Reply 693
Are you a gap year re-applicant or are you in university? And where can i apply for the medical lab assistant job? on the NHS website?
Also do i need to make a new CV? And if i do what am i supposed to put in the CV? lol i really dont have a clue what they employers are looking for in candidates
and thanks a lot for your help!

I'm a reapplicant taking a gap year and yourself?

Well of the NHS website where it says "supporting information" you enter your personal statement; I make mine tailored towards the person specification that they provide in the advert so I tick all the boxes. Just apply for all the jobs with a salary up to £20k; that's how I found a lab assistant post :smile:

Just keep applying you will get some interviews :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed both the practical and numeracy & literacy tests for HCA post. Now all I have left is the interview! I'm kind of nervous for this, any tips and pointers on what they may ask me?
Reply 695
Original post by Eager Beaver
Passed both the practical and numeracy & literacy tests for HCA post. Now all I have left is the interview! I'm kind of nervous for this, any tips and pointers on what they may ask me?

Well done :smile: hope you get the job. Well on mine they asked about basic duties I would have to carry out, how I would deal with a complaint from a patient and if a pertinent comes in a wheel chair via ambulance and is heavy then how would you go about transferring him to the bed lol. Also PPE is patient protection equipment (e.g. Gloves when taking blood, aprons when serving food etc ) :smile: don't worry it's really straight forward. Just know the job description and person spec well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 696

Patient* not pertinent :\ lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Well done :smile: hope you get the job. Well on mine they asked about basic duties I would have to carry out, how I would deal with a complaint from a patient and if a pertinent comes in a wheel chair via ambulance and is heavy then how would you go about transferring him to the bed lol. Also PPE is patient protection equipment (e.g. Gloves when taking blood, aprons when serving food etc ) :smile: don't worry it's really straight forward. Just know the job description and person spec well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! I didn't even know about PPE :s-smilie: at least I do now! I will review the person spec now as well, along with the job description :smile:
Reply 698
Thanks a lot! I didn't even know about PPE :s-smilie: at least I do now! I will review the person spec now as well, along with the job description :smile:

I didn't know of it either lol they told me the answer when I told them I didn't know in my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look up the trusts values and vision and if its not one of the first questions they ask, find a way to bulldoze it into an answer, it sounds impressive and shows you've done your research!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending