The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vionar
That would be a blessing, I need to learn not to read quicker, but to actually remember to read! If that makes sense...

I don't think I'll ever manage to attempt Estonian anyway, I'd love to, but my realism says it's not possible. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do get you! I could read a lot, but just don't read enough so books take too long to finish!

I have a few more to have a look at (Portuguese, German) before I attempt any obscure ones. :/
Oddly enough I know a couple of Estonian words from a Geography project in 3rd Year.(emphasis on a couple!)
Reply 5141
Original post by MangoFreak
My parents are splitting up and so we're moving back. My dad's already flown back there to stabilise himself. I'll be a term into my A Levels when we leave, which is seriously ****ty of my mother.

It's fine :lol: I should have clarified :mmm:

That really sucks, especially at your age, though it might have been worse had you been a couple of years younger. I was about three when my parents split, so I don't really remember it being a big event - but I do remember an entire childhood of bitterness and fighting over parental rights and visitation, and step-parents, some more temporary than others. At least I wasn't in the middle of anything education-wise.

A term isn't a lot, I really wouldn't worry about it. I missed an entire term by tearing my calf muscle randomly and being stuck in a chair in my room for ten weeks. I dealt with it by getting stupendously drunk a lot and chatting to people on MSN... incidentally it was UCAS term... :colondollar:
Whats fish done now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thatitootoo
That really sucks mayun :frown:
hmmm if you really don't want to leave...I suppose you are 16 and could legally decide "**** that, I'm staying her on my own, seeya during the holls" as you should have a say...
But that's a very long winded process to go through on your own, and I would not recommend it...I WOULD KNOW :yep:

Don't you have any other *liebling* relatives who you could stay with?
Didn't you mention one owned a yacht (or more!?) :redface: :wink:

I've only met the yacht-owners once and it was the week during which we stayed on their yacht :tongue: Moreso, they aren't based in the UK, and live on their yacht, sailing the seven seas :mmm:
Original post by Ronove
That really sucks, especially at your age, though it might have been worse had you been a couple of years younger. I was about three when my parents split, so I don't really remember it being a big event - but I do remember an entire childhood of bitterness and fighting over parental rights and visitation, and step-parents, some more temporary than others. At least I wasn't in the middle of anything education-wise.

A term isn't a lot, I really wouldn't worry about it. I missed an entire term by tearing my calf muscle randomly and being stuck in a chair in my room for ten weeks. I dealt with it by getting stupendously drunk a lot and chatting to people on MSN... incidentally it was UCAS term... :colondollar:

It's ****ty because I'll be doing A Level stuff for one term, getting used to it and being happy, only to be torn away from that to work with the Queensland education system. Latin? Nope. EPQ (I was actually looking forward to that)? Nope.
Anyone helping for Arabic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5146
Original post by aasvogel
I do get you! I could read a lot, but just don't read enough so books take too long to finish!

I have a few more to have a look at (Portuguese, German) before I attempt any obscure ones. :/
Oddly enough I know a couple of Estonian words from a Geography project in 3rd Year.(emphasis on a couple!)

I can read quickly too, but I just don't read the books often enough to get through them quickly.

I don't know how obscure some of the languages I want to learn are, but some are pretty much unheard of! Though I will be doing more heard of languages before I get there! :tongue:
Wow, what sort of geography project was that? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
MangoFreak I'm so sorry to hear about events recently.:frown: I'm not surprised you don't feel able to work on your Latin. I am sure I wouldn't either.

Original post by Vionar
I think the correct question would have been 'What was it this time?'
How does he do it? I haven't been modded once here.
Reply 5148
Original post by Octopus_Garden

How does he do it? I haven't been modded once here.

This time it was partially my fault, and other people from the year ten thread, so you can't really blame him for this one. But all the others, I really don't know! Maybe he ventures into areas of the forum much more prone to rule breaking? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
I can read quickly too, but I just don't read the books often enough to get through them quickly.

I don't know how obscure some of the languages I want to learn are, but some are pretty much unheard of! Though I will be doing more heard of languages before I get there! :tongue:
Wow, what sort of geography project was that? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same!

I think I'll leave any obscure languages to when I'm older. :tongue: (although Irish is technically obscure!)

Haha it wasn't that odd, we each had to do a PowerPoint on an EU country and I got Estonia so included a few words for each slide. :smile:
Reply 5150
I'm the same!

I think I'll leave any obscure languages to when I'm older. :tongue: (although Irish is technically obscure!)

Haha it wasn't that odd, we each had to do a PowerPoint on an EU country and I got Estonia so included a few words for each slide. :smile:

I wouldn't say Irish is that obscure though, not in the UK anyway, in other countries it is. I'll get stuck into more common ones first, and then I'll work my way down to the most obscure ones!

Oh, that's cool, I'd have liked to do that! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
I wouldn't say Irish is that obscure though, not in the UK anyway, in other countries it is. I'll get stuck into more common ones first, and then I'll work my way down to the most obscure ones!

Oh, that's cool, I'd have liked to do that! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah it's not that obscure. :tongue:
I cam home today to find tonnes of exciting post!

Hammer's German Grammar and Usage and my Open University forms for my German and French courses!

And, and, and! Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I managed to make a sound that sounded vaguely reminiscent of a French rolled 'r'! It's taken approximately 19 years of trying, but I'm demonstrating improvement.

Maybe I will be able to get more than a third now!:biggrin:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
I cam home today to find tonnes of exciting post!

Hammer's German Grammar and Usage and my Open University forms for my German and French courses!

And, and, and! Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I managed to make a sound that sounded vaguely reminiscent of a French rolled 'r'! It's taken approximately 19 years of trying, but I'm demonstrating improvement.

Maybe I will be able to get more than a third now!:biggrin:

French rolled R? Don't you mean a Spanish one? Or do you mean the gargle gutteral French R? I'm confused :frown: I mean, further south in France they start rolling Rs, but in the north it's a gargle?
Haha yeah it's not that obscure. :tongue:

Do you actually know someone who speaks Irish, assbird? :redface:
Original post by constantmeowage
French rolled R? Don't you mean a Spanish one? Or do you mean the gargle gutteral French R? I'm confused :frown: I mean, further south in France they start rolling Rs, but in the north it's a gargle?
That s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶i̶c̶u̶l̶t̶ sound they play on Learn French tapes and tell you to imitate. Whatever the technical term for it is, they always call it a rolled 'r'. Especially in books written by the noted x̶e̶n̶o̶p̶h̶o̶b̶i̶c̶ ̶ linguistic authority, Enid Blyton.

:tongue:

Sílim cinnte!

In my hometown no, but at school they love Irish, so I have all my friends who did it, plus the teachers and a couple of older fellas and ones that went to the bunscoil. (Irish speaking primary school.)

I've also 3 cousins who are more or less fluent. :smile:
Possibly a more pleasing image than "corpsebird":tongue:
¡Hola!

Me llamo Molly y tengo dieciséis años. Soy inglesa pero hablo un poco de español y francés y un pocíto de arabé y tres frases en irlandés (gracias aasvogel!)

Me gustaría mejorar mi habilidad lingüistica entonces espero que hable con vosotros me ayudaré, y me pedís si pensáis que puedo ayudarte :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly_xox
¡Hola!

Me llamo Molly y tengo dieciséis años. Soy inglesa pero hablo un poco de español y francés y un pocíto de arabé y tres frases en irlandés (gracias aasvogel!)

Me gustaría mejorar mi habilidad lingüistica entonces espero que hable con vosotros me ayudaré, y me pedís si pensáis que puedo ayudarte :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

¡Hola! Hablo español y francés también, y empezo mi bachillerato en septiembre
Tienes dieciséis años, así que ¿estudiarás algunos idiomas en septiembre?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending