The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula
I reckon whoever it is, there's going to be a lot of 'oh no, he won't do as good a job at Matt Smith!' and then he'll turn out to be wonderful.

This is exactly what happened the last two times :mmm:

It doesn't really matter. Steven Moffat will write him some bs childish storylines like always.
What exactly is going to happen in the special announcement programme tomorrow? Are they simply going to tell us the actor? Or he (/she?) going to be there on stage too? So excited!
Original post by Mr Tough
What exactly is going to happen in the special announcement programme tomorrow? Are they simply going to tell us the actor? Or he (/she?) going to be there on stage too? So excited!

The new actor will step out the TARDIS, come close to the camera, stand still and have their name CGI'd on to the screen ala JOHN HURT AS THE DOCTOR style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1924
Original post by Mr.Messy
The new actor will step out the TARDIS, come close to the camera, stand still and have their name CGI'd on to the screen ala JOHN HURT AS THE DOCTOR style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either that, or John Hurt will walk out :sly:

Don't build your hopes up Marian, it's not worth the despair :console: We'll just have to have a Thick of It marathon if it isn't.

Original post by Fullofsurprises

Peter Capaldi would be a stunning choice but maybe he won't do it - I can't quite see him going for it. :frown:

He is apparently a massive DW fan so I can see him being up for it unless he considers himself too old.

Original post by Orthrus
I'd prefer a younger Doctor, but pleeeeaaaase oh god, not Daniel Rigby. Nowadays all that i can think of when i see him is BT :no:

I'll be happy with Peter Capaldi though, even though he wasn't my outright fave.

I'm actually conflicted now, apprently he went to the High School down the road from me sooo... If he turns out to be a Stockport FC fan then i'm with him all the way :^_^: He does seem to have a lot of projects coming up though...
Original post by Maid Marian
Same. That's the only thing I've seen him in, and he is so annoying. :no::no: I'll be gutted if it's him.

I saw him in that 'Black mirror' series on Channel 4, and he was alright i suppose, but he just hasn't got that whovian feel around him. I'm worried because we all know how often relative unknowns become doctors :afraid:

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I can't understand why Daniel Rigby has risen so high in the list - I find him sort of OK-ish but a bit irritating and he's not even in the same league as recent doctors, surely?

Peter Capaldi would be a stunning choice but maybe he won't do it - I can't quite see him going for it. :frown:

I really don't know either, probably because he's closer to the age of the more recent doctors maybe?

I don't know, Doctor Who is one of those big roles... i've got my fingers crossed that it might just tempt him! :crossedf:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
I'm actually conflicted now, apprently he went to the High School down the road from me sooo... If he turns out to be a Stockport FC fan then i'm with him all the way :^_^: He does seem to have a lot of projects coming up though...

Oh god, so he's a northerner? That's an unfair play on my geographical loyalty :eek: That'll soften the blow a bit if he does get the role, but i still don't want him! What has his BT grilfriend got to say about this?!

And also, shame on you, supporting a non-newcastle-based team :tongue:
Original post by Orthrus
Oh god, so he's a northerner? That's an unfair play on my geographical loyalty :eek: That'll soften the blow a bit if he does get the role, but i still don't want him! What has his BT grilfriend got to say about this?!

And also, shame on you, supporting a non-newcastle-based team :tongue:

Confliction Dx Maybe we can try for the most northern cast possible... RICKY TOMLINSON FOR DOCTOR WHO 2013 :colone: And then just throw in Daniel Craig as the companion, Johnny Vegas as the new voice of the Daleks and have John Bishop as The Master. Nothing could go wrong there :daydreaming:

Newcastle based teams are too good, I like my teams to be 'meh' to 'crap' :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Confliction Dx Maybe we can try for the most northern cast possible... RICKY TOMLINSON FOR DOCTOR WHO 2013 :colone: And then just throw in Daniel Craig as the companion, Johnny Vegas as the new voice of the Daleks and have John Bishop as The Master. Nothing could go wrong there :daydreaming:

Newcastle based teams are too good, I like my teams to be 'meh' to 'crap' :wink:

The thought of Johnny Vegas as the voice of the Daleks tickled me :lol: And of course, a bit of paddy McGuinness voicing the cybermen for good measure! It'd be the best thing to come from up north since... oh dear, i've drawn a blank :facepalm2:

Are we talking about the same Newcastle? :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds awesome, thanks! Is there anyone you're hoping it will be in particular?
Original post by Mr Tough
Sounds awesome, thanks! Is there anyone you're hoping it will be in particular?

That's just pure speculation by the way. :tongue:

I'm not sure, I'm not fully convinced by anyone that's currently been mentioned for the role.
I would just prefer some relatively unknown actor in the same way that Matt's appointment.
Reply 1932
I've seen Daniel Rigby in a play before and thought he was fantastic - I wouldn't mind him being the Doctor, just not sure if he's old enough yet...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
Urgh, I doubt he would. I really don't like Moffat as a person :s-smilie:

I wonder how he'll write the 12th Doctor? It's always seemed to me like Moffat has a very limited range of characters he can write. I'm scared that he'll write 12 with a very similar personality (all the quirkiness and goofiness) to 11.

Honestly that's why I think they'd be better ditching him too. He started off ok in his first series as the lead writer (Matt's first series) but as it's gone on it's just become weird, and in my view, pretty naff. (Been a while since we had a story as good as some of Tennant's good episodes I think).

Anyway, whatever they do, I hope they get a Doctor who's older this time around - visibly older too. I think it would make a nice change to go with a more serious character (which, even though I liked Matt Smith, he couldn't do very well) who looks more experienced. I think they could have a more commanding presence basically and actually look like they are about 1000 years old... it would also show if Moffat really can write anything other than weird/quirky/strange, and fit with the supposed limit on regenerations (which they will almost certainly get around, and could then use the opportunity to bring in a younger actor again).

Just my thoughts on it anyway.
Reply 1934
http://eveningharold.com/2013/08/04/doctor-who-announcement-bbc-lose-rights-to-bt/Spoiler alert: This evening's announcement detail leaked
Original post by Perks
http://eveningharold.com/2013/08/04/doctor-who-announcement-bbc-lose-rights-to-bt/Spoiler alert: This evening's announcement detail leaked

I don't wanna open this if it says who the Doctor is gonna be, I wanna be surprised this evening, does it name the name or just details on the show?
Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't wanna open this if it says who the Doctor is gonna be, I wanna be surprised this evening, does it name the name or just details on the show?

No spoilers worth mentioning :smile: Can't say I particularly get the article but it looks like BT is having an after show analysis so it's just about that.
It's a spoof article. Doesn't contain any real spoilers. :tongue:
The show will be 35 minutes long according to the BBC tv guide. Wonder what they have in store. :holmes:
It's a spoof article. Doesn't contain any real spoilers. :tongue:

Pfft, thought having Brain Cox was weird xD -dunce-

I'm way too tired today...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending