The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axion
yeah talking about volcanoes for a seismicity question is completely wrong

Volcanoes can be a result of some earthquakes actually.
Original post by charlie4590
Also, wouldn't volcanic events come under either volcanic/vulcanicity?

Volcanoes can be as a result of seismic activity. Particularly submarine volcanoes. http://phys.org/news/2013-03-iceland-unusual-seismic-hekla-volcano.html
Original post by MathsHoe
Yes sure, what was the exact question again? (I forgot) I remember I discussed an aspect of all 3.

Errr it was "with use of examples,examine the different ways that seismic events can be managed"
Errr it was "with use of examples,examine the different ways that seismic events can be managed"

I did a paragraph on management is different factors such as hazards presented, area, location, economic status and different seismic events. To support this I used L'aquilla Italy, I used Monserratt and the Boxing Day Tsunami like yourself :smile: any other questions?
Can't believe people are still talking about this exam that was weeks ago! Go enjoy your summers :smile:
Has anyone answered the question "the global economy has moved on from the Asian tigers, the present and the future of the global economy now lie elsewhere" to what extent do you agree with this statement
I have been set this for the holidays and we haven't done anything about this, our teacher gave us an article on china and Indias problems but I don't even think they are Asian tigers.
Any useful resources or some help with just the essay plan would be much appreciated I really do need help I don't think that we have covered this at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kgriffin13
Has anyone answered the question "the global economy has moved on from the Asian tigers, the present and the future of the global economy now lie elsewhere" to what extent do you agree with this statement
I have been set this for the holidays and we haven't done anything about this, our teacher gave us an article on china and Indias problems but I don't even think they are Asian tigers.
Any useful resources or some help with just the essay plan would be much appreciated I really do need help I don't think that we have covered this at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Asian tigers are Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea. They developed by encouraging companies to open manufacturing plants in their countries by offering cheap labour and less stringent pollution laws etc. (an example is Taiwan taking on Mattel's manufacturing of the barbie dolls). However as these countries grew, they began to demand more money for labour and the companies moved elsewhere for cheaper labour (e.g. mattel moved to china). China and India emerged as the new generation of countries following in the footsteps of the Asian tigers.

So an essay could go:
Intro - what are the asian tigers

For (economy has moved on) - india's development through services, china's development through manufacturing, loss of economy in original asian tigers?

Against (economy hasn't moved on) - problems with india's development, problems with china's development, companies that have remained in the asian tiger countries

Conclusion - overall agree/disagree

i think that should be okay? if you already have an A2 textbook there should be some stuff in there about it, if not then it shouldn't be too hard to google a few stats :smile: hope this helps
Hi guys, I knowwww this is a worring question but I just want to clarify with everyone talking about the tectonic 7 marker with MWU.

I did the question but didn't really talk about MWU, but i did reject the null hypothesis etc and talk about the other differences in the answer between japan and spain earthquakes.

Surely MWU wasn't the be all and end all in getting marks? We could have got marks talking about the data itself because the question was about the findings of the investigation i.e. the figures such as the range difference, the magnitude difference and other differences like that with reference to the figures themselves,as well as the null hypothesis.

Obviously talking about MWU correctly would gain extra marks, but not talking about it wouldn't mean you got none/did badly in that question???? For 7 marks.
Hi guys, I knowwww this is a worring question but I just want to clarify with everyone talking about the tectonic 7 marker with MWU.

I did the question but didn't really talk about MWU, but i did reject the null hypothesis etc and talk about the other differences in the answer between japan and spain earthquakes.

Surely MWU wasn't the be all and end all in getting marks? We could have got marks talking about the data itself because the question was about the findings of the investigation i.e. the figures such as the range difference, the magnitude difference and other differences like that with reference to the figures themselves,as well as the null hypothesis.

Obviously talking about MWU correctly would gain extra marks, but not talking about it wouldn't mean you got none/did badly in that question???? For 7 marks.

I didn't do that question but I totally agree :smile:
Original post by gracecooke55
I didn't do that question but I totally agree :smile:

Thanks :smile:, we got negged.. no idea why aha. Maybe they're just too nervous for results! (Care to explain why person?)
I didn't neg you but you waited quite a long while to ask about this didn't you lol. Good luck to everyone though, I just don't know what to expect from Geography come results day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
I didn't neg you but you waited quite a long while to ask about this didn't you lol. Good luck to everyone though, I just don't know what to expect from Geography come results day

Posted from TSR Mobile

It only just occured to me really to ask as I get more nervous. I have an idea of what I think i'd got, adding up marks from each question but you never really know!
Original post by flower124
NOW it's okay to be talking about this exam again.. getting rather nervous! In fact, incredibly nervous. Please, please, pleeeease Geography don't **** me over!! PLEASE!

I can't believe it was 2 MONTHS ago! Constantly checking the thread as a form of procrastination...2 MONTHS ago?!
Lol so many people (seemingly geographers ) neg so unnecessarily on this page. the past few posts have been good ones but they get negged?
Lol so many people (seemingly geographers ) neg so unnecessarily on this page. the past few posts have been good ones but they get negged?

Theres an angry chimp who completely flopped this exam taking out their rage most likely
Original post by ElChapo
Theres an angry chimp who completely flopped this exam taking out their rage most likely

Agree'd. I think I'm gonna wait up for the boundaries tonight, mainly for this exam aha.
I might get negged for this too, seeing as this will be the last thing they want to do..but I'm sure most of us can't help but do it!
Agree'd. I think I'm gonna wait up for the boundaries tonight, mainly for this exam aha.
I might get negged for this too, seeing as this will be the last thing they want to do..but I'm sure most of us can't help but do it!

If you're waiting for AQA just go to bed :tongue:, only OCR and Edexcel are released at midnight, AQA is wednesday morning but yeah i'm very curious to know the boundaries, for this subject especially.
Original post by ElChapo
If you're waiting for AQA just go to bed :tongue:, only OCR and Edexcel are released at midnight, AQA is wednesday morning but yeah i'm very curious to know the boundaries, for this subject especially.

What do you think the boundaries will be?
I'm thinking 68 max hopefully for the A* seeing as last year it was 69 and that was a very good paper, especially the tectonic essay, these are the highest boundaries so far. Then 60 for the A etc. What do you reckon?
Reply 3378
Lol completely forgot about Geog. Looking forward to it :smile:
66 for an A*, and just keep going down 8 for each grade guys! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending