The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

I like the choice. An older Doctor will have a better chance of taking the show down a more mature road again I think (at least I hope that's where they're going with this), and will perhaps have more of a commanding presence than the previous new series incarnations (though Tennant was great at that). I like Matt Smith's Doctor, but he was more fun and goofy, I think it's time to go for a darker character.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2041
Original post by Scienceisgood
I suppose we will wait and see, but, I can say I am disappointed.
Companions typically flirt with The Doctor, but, Clara (or someone around her age) flirting with The Doctor *Shudders*.

I suppose I thought it would have been someone, younger. =l
Someone younger than 35 to say the least. =l

A lack of flirting is no bad thing.

Personally, I'll be glad to see an older doctor. It'll make a nice change :yep:
It might take a while to stop expecting swearing every few seconds though...
Original post by kalios
The fact is that Frobrisher was permanent secretary to the Home Office, and killed himself, and his entire family. Many people in Doctor Who would recognize him as a dead man, including Jack Harkness.

Chances of seeing Jack Harkness again are slim though. Then again maybe you're right about random people on the streets when set in the UK and then the British companions.
Original post by Skip_Snip

My favourite ever Doctor is Patrick Troughton <3

There are more of us out there :zomg::woo:
People who are complaining about age are being silly. After Matt Smith's childish and unfunny doctor (although I will put some of this down to poor writing) it will be a breath of fresh air to have someone older and a bit more serious. I'm sure he will still be fun but I hope he is at least as serious as David Tennant was (Personally I would like him to be as serious as Christopher Ecclestone but I doubt that will happen).
Reply 2045
Original post by ChocolateMelody
She didn't have a clue! She had to ask Daniel Roche which Doctor fought the Nestene Conciousness and the Autons! That was Christopher Ecclestone's first episode! Why do they always choose people with no idea what they're on about for these sorts of things?

I think I missed that bit, my stream froze and I refreshed after waiting for a while and kept it live so I found out sooner :tongue:

It was as I thought it'd be, they just have randoms on who have a passing interest but want to be on TV. Some will know their stuff, but the ones you'll notice are the ones who don't :tongue:
I hope he keeps his accent! And stays for at least three years!

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
There are more of us out there :zomg::woo:

:biggrin: The Mind Robber is my "coursework music", when I'm doing an essay or whatever I have that on, it really helps :smile:
Reply 2047
Peter Capaldi played a doctor at the World Health Organization in World War Z.
He was a Doctor at Who.
They revealed who the next doctor was months before right under our noses :eek:

Spoilers indeed!!!

Maybe its my excitement making unnecessary links but either way I'm looking forward to what he'll bring.
Original post by Skip_Snip

:biggrin: The Mind Robber is my "coursework music", when I'm doing an essay or whatever I have that on, it really helps :smile:

D: The Mind Robber is one of my favourite DW serials to I approve greatly. He's got that sort of Matt Smith goofiness and enthusiasm but there's still some sembalance of maturity there as well as hair that could land him in The Beatles :biggrin:
I wonder if he'll have a young male companion to be the "eye candy" and do the difficult parts, like Ian/Steven/Ben/Jamie
Anyone else experiencing a sort of floaty feeling of happiness and immense relief :daydreaming: I can't wait for 12, he going to be absolutely awesome. :biggrin:
Anyone know if the pic on the front page of the BBC News is an offical photo as him as the Doctor or an older one?

Original post by Maid Marian
Anyone else experiencing a sort of floaty feeling of happiness and immense relief :daydreaming: I can't wait for 12, he going to be absolutely awesome. :biggrin:

I even got my Capaldi marathon ready ;.;

The Thick of IT S1-4 + Film
Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life
Local Hero
The Adventures of the First King of Mars
A Portrait of Scotland
Vicar of Dibley
The Nativity
Neverwhere
That one awesome ep of Prime Suspect he was in
Getting On
The News at Bedtime

And etc etc etc... Things are going to get very weird and very wonderful :^_^: But mostly slightl obsessive and sweary.
Great decision! I think he'll be great in the role, and I'm glad they've gone for someone older this time (I don't have a preference either way but it's good to go for as much of a change as they can, I think).

The only thing is I've seen a couple of younger people saying they're 'disappointed' by the role. An older actor has been a traditional choice in the past but I hope it doesn't put off the younger audience today. Really, there's no reason why it should.
Anyone know if the pic on the front page of the BBC News is an offical photo as him as the Doctor or an older one?

I even got my Capaldi marathon ready ;.;

The Thick of IT S1-4 + Film
Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life
Local Hero
The Adventures of the First King of Mars
A Portrait of Scotland
Vicar of Dibley
The Nativity
Neverwhere
That one awesome ep of Prime Suspect he was in
Getting On
The News at Bedtime

And etc etc etc... Things are going to get very weird and very wonderful :^_^: But mostly slightl obsessive and sweary.

Haha :biggrin: I've actually only see him the Vicar of Dibley and the Pompeii episode of Doctor Who. That was all I needed to decide I wanted him as my twelfth Doctor :h:
Haha :biggrin: I've actually only see him the Vicar of Dibley and the Pompeii episode of Doctor Who. That was all I needed to decide I wanted him as my twelfth Doctor :h:

Local Hero is the one where he's really young and looks after a bunny x3 You should give the Neverwhere tv series a go if you can hunt it down, he plays the Angel Islington which is as awesome as it sounds :awesome: Just be prepared to forgive some awful special effects.
(edited 10 years ago)
D: The Mind Robber is one of my favourite DW serials to I approve greatly. He's got that sort of Matt Smith goofiness and enthusiasm but there's still some sembalance of maturity there as well as hair that could land him in The Beatles :biggrin:

There's something, I dunno, comforting(?) about the Tardis Team of Two, Zoe and Jamie :smile:

I've got all of Two's full surviving stories edited into "movie edits", so they run as one episode :tongue:

It's awe inspiring - he's a lovely man. I saw a programme he did about Scottish artists and he was brilliant in it. Oh and of course there's the Malcolm Tucker character, which is one of the true comic inventions of our era.

It was actually wierding me out seeing him sitting there talking about it, I was struggling to get Malcolm out of my head! :colondollar:
Reply 2057
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
I like the choice. An older Doctor will have a better chance of taking the show down a more mature road again I think (at least I hope that's where they're going with this), and will perhaps have more of a commanding presence than the previous new series incarnations (though Tennant was great at that). I like Matt Smith's Doctor, but he was more fun and goofy, I think it's time to go for a darker character.

Absolutely, I'm looking forward to seeing what his doctor will be like considering he's a lot older and I didn't like Matt Smith's goofy and hyper doctor, its not that I have anything against him, just couldn't really watch his doctor so hoping Capaldi will be different, though it will be odd to see him not swearing all the time lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm disappointed, I don't like the fact he will have played 3 different characters in the same universe and I don't like the fact he's a well-known name. I'm glad they picked someone older but I just can't see him as The Doctor, I don't think I questioned Matt Smith this much, or any Doctor for that matter.

I hope the writers will take this opportunity to make the show a bit darker again, a la 9th Doctor. Whilst I did enjoy 11's quirky mannerisms, energy and even slight arrogance, (and I might even go as far as saying that he was my favourite Doctor of those I've seen) it'd be good to have a very different character this time round.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see him properly into the swing of things but I had hoped it would be someone different from the names mentioned.
Wow

Spoiler

They announced the new doctor today. It still seems weird to have seen the actor so long before the doctor regenerates.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending