The Student Room Group

Men, how much did you grow after 19?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
5'11" at 20, I haven't grown much (if at all) in the last 2 years.
Another reasonably short person here. I'm 18 years old and am 5'7. Is there still a possibility of me growing more? I don't smoke, drink etc. I go to the gym regularly and use good form making sure I don't damage my growth plates. A thing I would like to point out is that both of my parents are small (only slightly shorter than me, I'd say around 5'6), however, my mothers dad and her brothers are all about 6 feet tall whereas my dads side are again around my height. Do you think I have potential to grow more considering both sides of my parents? Thanks!
Original post by JohnPaul_
I'm 17 and about 5,5/5,6

Feel like I won't ever grow..

Is 21 the age males stop growing?

At least 5,8 is what I want. That's a tall order.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You look skinny in your pic and since you're 17 your growth plates probably haven't fused yet. So I advise eating more. Good nutrition will help with growth and like ZRO said 5ft 8 seems likely.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Did any guys here grow much after 19? I would love a few more inches, but at 19 I'm not sure anymore. I guess I'm looking for some hope...

Feel like a manlet even though I'm 6'.

My brother's 22 and is still growing. He's like 6 ft 4.5, a year ago he was like an inch shorter. It's crazy man.
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
My brother's 22 and is still growing. He's like 6 ft 4.5, a year ago he was like an inch shorter. It's crazy man.

Wow your mum must be feeding him fertiliser or something :tongue:
Reply 65
Mate told me if dips hurt (or at least cause a not comfortable sort of feeling) your sternum then you've got a good chance of still growing. I choose to believe it's BS cause I've stopped getting it now.
Wow your mum must be feeding him fertiliser or something :tongue:

Haha I think he's just a freak of nature :tongue: And he makes me feel like a complete midget at 5'7.. :sad:
Original post by BKS
Mate told me if dips hurt (or at least cause a not comfortable sort of feeling) your sternum then you've got a good chance of still growing. I choose to believe it's BS cause I've stopped getting it now.

It does sound a bit brosciencey tbh. You stopped getting the sternum pains? How old are you? Have you stopped growing?
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Haha I think he's just a freak of nature :tongue: And he makes me feel like a complete midget at 5'7.. :sad:

5ft 7 is a good height for a girl. How tall are your parents?
Reply 69
I'm eighteen, 6'4", and haven't grown at all for over four years... yeah, I was a pretty tall fourteen-year-old.
5ft 7 is a good height for a girl. How tall are your parents?

My mum is like 5 ft 6 and my dad was only about 6 ft or so.
Reply 71
Yeah, I'd say half an inch...
Reply 72
MFW viewing this thread as a glorious 6'4" master race overlord

Seriously though, 6'0" is pretty good. Average height is 5'9" and the standard deviation is 3", placing you 1 standard deviation above normal. 2/3 of men are 5'10" +/- 3". About 1/6 are on each side, so 1/6 of men are taller than 6'0" and 1/6 are taller than 6'0". Being at 6'0" means that you're taller than (or the same height as) 5/6 of the population. That's not too bad, dude. A lot of people would kill to be your height. Source.

Stay away from the misc and /fit/ if you're susceptible to body image issues, they're only going to take an existing problem and multiply it hundredfold.
(edited 10 years ago)
i grew an extra inch or 2 after 19
Original post by JohnPaul_
I'm 17 and about 5,5/5,6

Feel like I won't ever grow..

Is 21 the age males stop growing?

At least 5,8 is what I want. That's a tall order.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When i was 17 i was still 165cm, 3 years later in 175-77cm. If you parent a tall or decent height don't worry.
I'm 18 and 5ft 8 ... Is it possible for me to reach 6ft ... My younger brother is 5ft11 and my dad is 6ft1 ... However my mum is only 5ft 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
It does sound a bit brosciencey tbh. You stopped getting the sternum pains? How old are you? Have you stopped growing?

Probably is yet reading the wiki article on it makes sternum fusing (right word?) makes it sounds vaguely plausible as an indicator

Yeah, in the last few months. Not sure when exactly, not long enough to really know if I've stopped growing since if I am then it's at a really slow rate. I'm 22, few months from 23. Grew 1.5 inch since 19 but hadn't grown since I was 12 before that.
Original post by JordanR
MFW viewing this thread as a glorious 6'4" master race overlord

Seriously though, 6'0" is pretty good. Average height is 5'9" and the standard deviation is 3", placing you 1 standard deviation above normal. 2/3 of men are 5'10" +/- 3". About 1/6 are on each side, so 1/6 of men are taller than 6'0" and 1/6 are taller than 6'0". Being at 6'0" means that you're taller than (or the same height as) 5/6 of the population. That's not too bad, dude. A lot of people would kill to be your height. Source.

Stay away from the misc and /fit/ if you're susceptible to body image issues, they're only going to take an existing problem and multiply it hundredfold.

Thanks man. When you put it like that I realise I'm quite lucky. Defo staying away from the misc though :biggrin:
Original post by BKS
Probably is yet reading the wiki article on it makes sternum fusing (right word?) makes it sounds vaguely plausible as an indicator

Yeah, in the last few months. Not sure when exactly, not long enough to really know if I've stopped growing since if I am then it's at a really slow rate. I'm 22, few months from 23. Grew 1.5 inch since 19 but hadn't grown since I was 12 before that.

It would be nice if it was. I still get sternum pains when doing dips :/
Reply 79
Thanks man. When you put it like that I realise I'm quite lucky. Defo staying away from the misc though :biggrin:

If it makes you feel better, you can just lie to girls and say you're 6'2" or something and they'll believe you. You're definitely lucky. 6'0"-6'4" is perfection, I would say.

Although there is this which suggests that 5'9"-5'11" is optimal for being attractive to women, and that men both taller and shorter than this are seen as being less attractive.

It would be nice if it was. I still get sternum pains when doing dips :/

dips screw me over too. don't bother with them, you can really mess yourself up. Lying triceps extensions (rippetoe style) and pushdowns or closegrip bench are all you need.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest