The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, just so you know the next doctor is to be played by Peter Capaldi.
Original post by Hopple
I think I missed that bit, my stream froze and I refreshed after waiting for a while and kept it live so I found out sooner :tongue:

It was as I thought it'd be, they just have randoms on who have a passing interest but want to be on TV. Some will know their stuff, but the ones you'll notice are the ones who don't :tongue:

Yeah, same here: my predictions for the show was 25 minutes of pointless filler and then a big reveal at the end
Didn't he say he had never been in DW before? He was in the Fires of Pompeii episode (series 4, episode 2) playing Caecilius.
Original post by ChocolateMelody
Didn't he say he had never been in DW before? He was in the Fires of Pompeii episode (series 4, episode 2) playing Caecilius.

He said he'd never acted as the Doctor. You know how as a kid you would act out your favourite characters from TV? He was basically saying he acted as the Doctor when he was a kid.
Was a bit mixed feeling at first but after thinking about it more I'm psyched to see the new direction that the show is going to go in.

I think (hope) with this new Doctor we're going to see a more mature, mysterious Doctor, one where you can really see the hundreds of years of experience behind his eyes. One that's dark and cold, but at the same time ferocious and brave. If 10 and 11 were younger and flirty, often childlike then 12th will return to the Grandfather figure we saw in 1 and several other incarnations.

This is a big thing. No longer is the Doctor going to be a young, attractive man that we enjoy seeing flirt and kiss the female companions, and the gif-creating fan girls may not like this change, but it is a return to what makes the Doctor the 1000ish old time lord he is. It's a bold direction for the producers to take which I think will be a good change from the current dynamic of the Doctor and companions.

I had my reservations as Capaldi was in Doctor Who and Torchwood previously, but I think his acting skill and versatility (especially shown in the latter) proves he is up to the challenge. I eagerly look forward to seeing his interpretation of the Doctor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Next big question: is the next Doctor going to have a Scottish accent or is Capaldi going to put on an English one? I love Capaldi's natural accent so I sort of hope he keeps it for the part :smile:
Terrible piece of casting. He would have made for an outstanding Master. But noooo, they made him the Doctor.
Original post by Feefifofum
Next big question: is the next Doctor going to have a Scottish accent or is Capaldi going to put on an English one? I love Capaldi's natural accent so I sort of hope he keeps it for the part :smile:

Put on a English one, not to sound racist but English people dont like hearing non English people in roles they identify as English or just dislike the Scottish accent in general as ITV channels refuse to show Scottish programmes in general, also Tennant put on a English acccent

I remember years ago having an argument with a 25 year old media degree student who said that Scottish actors should not take over roles that were defined with English, he had no problems with James Bond though which is strange likely as the first real one was Scottish.
I think he'll put on an English accent- David Tennant had to aha :smile:
Original post by drbluebox
Put on a English one, not to sound racist but English people dont like hearing non English people in roles they identify as English or just dislike the Scottish accent in general as ITV channels refuse to show Scottish programmes in general, also Tennant put on a English acccent

I remember years ago having an argument with a 25 year old media degree student who said that Scottish actors should not take over roles that were defined with English, he had no problems with James Bond though which is strange likely as the first real one was Scottish.

Um. That may be true for some people but it's certainly not true across the board. There are loads of Scottish accents on TV and plenty of us (myself include) find the Scottish accent pleasant to listen to.
After Matt Smith's BS immature style acting, I think the 12th Doctor will be a breath of fresh air. I am so excited.

Also, Sid's Dad is the new Doctor.. wooo
Reply 2071
okay so im hearing a lot of sudden hate for Moffat, and im not sure if its because of his decision for peter playing the role for the 12th doctor?? (which im seriously excited about)
personally i never liked Moffat cause I've always preferred RTD as the writer for doctor who :s-smilie:
Reply 2072
Original post by montstar
Was a bit mixed feeling at first but after thinking about it more I'm psyched to see the new direction that the show is going to go in.

I think (hope) with this new Doctor we're going to see a more mature, mysterious Doctor, one where you can really see the hundreds of years of experience behind his eyes. One that's dark and cold, but at the same time ferocious and brave. If 10 and 11 were younger and flirty, often childlike then 12th will return to the Grandfather figure we saw in 1 and several other incarnations.

This is a big thing. No longer is the Doctor going to be a young, attractive man that we enjoy seeing flirt and kiss the female companions, and the gif-creating fan girls may not like this change, but it is a return to what makes the Doctor the 1000ish old time lord he is. It's a bold direction for the producers to take which I think will be a good change from the current dynamic of the Doctor and companions.

I had my reservations as Capaldi was in Doctor Who and Torchwood previously, but I think his acting skill and versatility (especially shown in the latter) proves he is up to the challenge. I eagerly look forward to seeing his interpretation of the Doctor.

I am very excited about him playing the Doctor for the same reasons :grin: plus I have been wanting to see a darker styled doctor for a while. I have been getting bored of the childishness. I want a mature doctor, one who's personality almost suits how certain races fear him.
Original post by Izzyeviel
Terrible piece of casting. He would have made for an outstanding Master. But noooo, they made him the Doctor.

I think so too but I will see how he plays The Doctor and hope it is good. Stephen Moffat said he suited the role of the 12th so we shall see...:confused:
Original post by Scienceisgood
I suppose we will wait and see, but, I can say I am disappointed.
Companions typically flirt with The Doctor, but, Clara (or someone around her age) flirting with The Doctor *Shudders*.

I suppose I thought it would have been someone, younger. =l
Someone younger than 35 to say the least. =l

The Doctor will become more paternal, rather than the strange, awkward semi-love-interest thing we've had recently.
Reply 2075
Original post by clad in armour
Malcolm Tucker? But how's he going to do the sentimental parts??

He did some sentimental parts fantastically well when he played Sid's dad in Skins.
hopefully it means we wont have any more dumb storylines of some bint going googly eyed at the doctor every five minutes
Capaldi was in the Fires of Pompei episode, so why have they made him the Doctor :sigh:
Reply 2078
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Capaldi was in the Fires of Pompei episode, so why have they made him the Doctor :sigh:

Amy was in the same episode :dontknow:

If you don't use any actor who has been in the show again then it really narrows your choices considering the amount of cameos the show has.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Amy was in the same episode :dontknow:

If you don't use any actor who has been in the show again then it really narrows your choices considering the amount of cameos the show has.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of people to choose from though. What character did Amy play?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending