The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7841
Evra is getting on so I think Fabio and Buttner will battle it out for LB. They're not at the level yet, but i think Buttner especially will mature this season.

Going by Rooney's past few seasons, this could be a good one. Last season was ok, season before was amazing, season before ok and season before amazing.

Ronaldo said: "I'm not going to confirm anything - I'm just going to do my job like I always do.

My future - I don't know. At this moment I'm a player of Madrid, the future, I really don't know.

Let's see what's going to happen - but for the moment, I'm good where I am."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7842
I'd like to see Fabio get more games this season

He's a talent and needs game time! He has potential to be as a good as Rafael, just they arrived when G Nev was retiring and Evra was in his prime, so both couldn't really flourish.

Don't want Rooney to go tbh, especially if we don't bring anyone in (which seems to be the most likely case ATM)

We should test Spurs for Dembele IMO
Original post by DaveSmith99
£25m+ add-ons that take it to £30m BBC are reporting.

Fabio was considered more talented than Rafael when they arrived, but he isn't left footed and I think he could suffer like Phil Neville did now Rafael has got the RB slot locked down. Evra's not getting any younger so Fabio should get a decent amount of games to prove himself. It's not going to be Buttner, he's not good enough, so I guess we will buy next summer if Fabio doesn't look up to it.

At least we have seemingly given up on Baines, not that I don't think he's a quality player, but he would be an expensive and short term fix, and he wouldn't sit on the bench for Evra, our vice captain and an important figure in the dressing room. We don't want to be getting rid of those kind of players with Fergie fresh out of the door.

Or Baines deal is done and he's the 8th August big announcement.
Reply 7844
Rooney is going to miss the final game of the tour due to a shoulder injury sustained at the weekend.

I call bull****
Reply 7845
Original post by Sami'
Rooney is going to miss the final game of the tour due to a shoulder injury sustained at the weekend.

I call bull****
Was about to post this. My thoughts exactly.
Original post by Sami'

I call bull****

Yep. Hopefully he keeps himself away from Rio's testimonial as well.
If Chelsea hit £35m I take that for Rooney. I've already said I don't think he's a good prospect in his later years, and not for the money he's wanting. Getting 8 seasons out of him and then shifting him at a profit at his peak is pretty good business. Perhaps he's hoping to play Rooney up top but with Lukaku seemingly set to star as the forward, someone in that front 3 isn't going to get much playing time with Schürrle arriving too. Perhaps negotiating a deal for one the amigos as has been said, one of them has to be surplus if Rooney and Lukaku are to play major roles.
Original post by xDave-
Rooney trending. Someone, somewhere has said Chelsea bid £30m, I haven't bothered to look into where that came from. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true though, Jose did say he wanted him. That £50m they paid for Torres shouldn't be so easily forgotten, especially considering the form he was in at the time. I'd expect a lot more for Rooney before I'd even consider it, and even then we'd need replacements sorted first.

£25m is a complete joke when you consider that's what we paid for him 9 years ago. It's obviously been done to try and unsettle him but it doesn't matter what they offer, selling him to a domestic rival is title suicide. He'll still be a Manchester United player when the transfer window closes. What possible situation does selling him to Chelsea benefit the club? There isn't one.
Reply 7849
Letting him go to Chelsea would be foolish, it would weaken us whilst improving them, Rooney is still a very good player and could be deadly for Chelsea like he was with us. I'd like Moyes to tempt Madrid with a cash plus Rooney bid if he really wishes to go.
Reply 7850
Original post by sr90
£25m is a complete joke when you consider that's what we paid for him 9 years ago. It's obviously been done to try and unsettle him but it doesn't matter what they offer, selling him to a domestic rival is title suicide. He'll still be a Manchester United player when the transfer window closes. What possible situation does selling him to Chelsea benefit the club? There isn't one.

Oh I just meant I'd expect a lot more money for him in general, from any club. I don't want to sell him to Chelsea, of course. It'd be best to send him off abroad somewhere if he doesn't want to stay.
Reply 7851
Original post by doggyfizzel
If Chelsea hit £35m I take that for Rooney. I've already said I don't think he's a good prospect in his later years, and not for the money he's wanting. Getting 8 seasons out of him and then shifting him at a profit at his peak is pretty good business. Perhaps he's hoping to play Rooney up top but with Lukaku seemingly set to star as the forward, someone in that front 3 isn't going to get much playing time with Schürrle arriving too. Perhaps negotiating a deal for one the amigos as has been said, one of them has to be surplus if Rooney and Lukaku are to play major roles.
Rooney would be played as a striker for us the majority of the time, with Lukaku as 2nd choice, as although he's already looking very good we'd be a lot better off with an established striker as our first choice rather than relying on a 20-year old with Torres and Ba as backups. Schurrle won't play as a striker unless we have an injury crisis, he'll be playing on the wing, probably rotating with Hazard on the left the most as that's his preferred position.

-------------Rooney/Lukaku/Torres----------
Hazard/Schurrle--Mata/Oscar--KDB/Moses

Is what I assume we'll be going for should we get Rooney, offloading either Torres or Ba, probably Ba. Although unless he hands in a transfer request I don't see why you'd sell him.
Reply 7852
Just a little question to you all, how much do you think Lukaku is worth on the current market?

Hypothetically, would you accept a straight swap Rooney for Lukaku (even though it won't happen ha)
Reply 7853
Original post by @Dan
Just a little question to you all, how much do you think Lukaku is worth on the current market?

Hypothetically, would you accept a straight swap Rooney for Lukaku (even though it won't happen ha)

I'd value him around £20m and no.
Reply 7854
Original post by Sami'
I'd value him around £20m and no.

yeh I'd probably agree there. 16-20mil'ish

I think I'd take him though, as a player he looks like a massive talent who is only going to improve in quality and value! Can't wait for this season nonetheless, despite being out of the country for 4 months.
Reply 7855
It seems like Rooney is going to go, even if we couldnt swap him for rooney + cash for ronaldo but failing that id swap him for modric
Original post by Nickini
Rooney would be played as a striker for us the majority of the time, with Lukaku as 2nd choice, as although he's already looking very good we'd be a lot better off with an established striker as our first choice rather than relying on a 20-year old with Torres and Ba as backups.
How often does Rooney play as a true striker for United? He played to the side in the front 3 in the Ronaldo era, played as a forward in 09/10, behind Hernandez in 2011, behind Welbeck in 2012, and behind RVP in 2013. He hasn't lead the United line for a while. A lot of money to get a player who you are then going to play out of position.
Reply 7857
Original post by doggyfizzel
How often does Rooney play as a true striker for United? He played to the side in the front 3 in the Ronaldo era, played as a forward in 09/10, behind Hernandez in 2011, behind Welbeck in 2012, and behind RVP in 2013. He hasn't lead the United line for a while. A lot of money to get a player who you are then going to play out of position.
Doesn't he want to be played as a striker though and consider it his best position? There's no way we'd be buying him to play behind a striker as we don't need him there at all. I'm not entirely convinced by us going after Rooney, Falcao/Cavani would have been excellent but obviously they were too expensive, although if Mourinho thinks he's worth chasing then I'm fine with that.
Reply 7858
Why should we sell Rooney for anything lower than Torres, wouldn't let Rooney go for anything under £50 mil to chelsea, Torres has only scored 34 goals for Chelsea whilst Rooney has scored that twice in a season, and Torres never scored 34 goals for Liverpool.
Original post by Nickini
Doesn't he want to be played as a striker though and consider it his best position? There's no way we'd be buying him to play behind a striker as we don't need him there at all. I'm not entirely convinced by us going after Rooney, Falcao/Cavani would have been excellent but obviously they were too expensive, although if Mourinho thinks he's worth chasing then I'm fine with that.
I don't know what he considers his best position, but he's a bit impatient to play as a forward, he comes deep, not unusual to see Rooney tracking to around the box, that was okay when he was younger but I think he lost a step around 09/10 ankle injury, he's certainly more sluggish these days. Unless he's disciplined (:rolleyes:) then the need for play to come through him is going to be a problem as a forward. You don't need him there assuming Jose is happy with the players you have, he's kicked good players before. He's previously played with Deco, Lampard, Sniejder, Ozil there all goal scoring AM's, that is pretty much the Rooney role. In that role he is at times a world class player, not sure you could say that about him as a striker. 09/10 he got 26 goals playing for United, Lukaku got 17 last season playing for West Brom, not to mention he provides a physicality Jose likes. When I heard it, I assumed based on Jose's previous formations and style of players he'd want a 4-3-3 with a goalscoring attacker who play in going to go through behind a front 3 with one physical striker, so Rooney behind Lukaku.

Rooney isn't worth £50m, Torres wasn't worth £50m, Chelsea won't make that mistake again. Rooney at best is worth £40m, he's got 2 years left on his deal and its not being discussed at present. On current form he's not worth as much as Suarez who is worth £50m it would seem, on a longer contract and is younger with 2 clubs involved. With only Chelsea interested we aren't going to get the maximum I would think.

Rooney is a player who has always been massively affected by his feelings and personal life, he's not John Terry. If he's pissed off, clashes with Moyes, we'll lose out on £30m pay 250k a week for an average season so we can get mugged when he's got a year left on his deal. Quite frankly if we can find a replacement, I'd be happy to see him go for that kind of money.

Latest