The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7860
Send him abroad for 25mil or ask Chelsea to pay an astronomical amount for him. He is very over-rated n well past his best anyway
Reply 7861
Original post by Med2K11
Send him abroad for 25mil or ask Chelsea to pay an astronomical amount for him. He is very over-rated n well past his best anyway

It would be stupid to let him go for £25m and even stupider to sell him to Chelsea.

If Rooney is going then Moyes should offload him abroad, not to a rival.
Reply 7862
I think the biggest benefit to chelsea would not be that they have rooney as a player but that they have weakened us, if he does go then our board has again messed up because we will need another top player to replace him, imagine if RVP gets injured we would be in deep trouble. Or.... swap torres for rooney...
Reply 7863
Original post by doggyfizzel
I don't know what he considers his best position, but he's a bit impatient to play as a forward, he comes deep, not unusual to see Rooney tracking to around the box, that was okay when he was younger but I think he lost a step around 09/10 ankle injury, he's certainly more sluggish these days. Unless he's disciplined (:rolleyes:) then the need for play to come through him is going to be a problem as a forward. You don't need him there assuming Jose is happy with the players you have, he's kicked good players before. He's previously played with Deco, Lampard, Sniejder, Ozil there all goal scoring AM's, that is pretty much the Rooney role. In that role he is at times a world class player, not sure you could say that about him as a striker. 09/10 he got 26 goals playing for United, Lukaku got 17 last season playing for West Brom, not to mention he provides a physicality Jose likes. When I heard it, I assumed based on Jose's previous formations and style of players he'd want a 4-3-3 with a goalscoring attacker who play in going to go through behind a front 3 with one physical striker, so Rooney behind Lukaku.
Wasn't this whole "angry and confused" business because of Moyes telling him he was second choice striker behind RVP? Hence me thinking he preferred to be a striker but... :dontknow: I don't doubt for a second Rooney's ability to play extremely well behind a striker isn't viewed as a huge bonus in Mourinho's eyes, but we're already stacked with young players with plenty of potential in that position, I don't think we'd have bothered buying Schurrle if we weren't planning on playing Rooney as a striker. Judging from preseason it seems we'll be favouring a 4-2-3-1 as it seems to suits our players more, but will occasionally switch to a 4-3-3.

Rooney isn't worth £50m, Torres wasn't worth £50m, Chelsea won't make that mistake again. Rooney at best is worth £40m, he's got 2 years left on his deal and its not being discussed at present. On current form he's not worth as much as Suarez who is worth £50m it would seem, on a longer contract and is younger with 2 clubs involved. With only Chelsea interested we aren't going to get the maximum I would think.
Yeah, completely agree. If we'd wanted to spend ~£50m on a striker we'd have gone for Cavani or Falcao. I think we're just slowly increasing our bids in the hope that Rooney requests a transfer. Wouldn't mind us spending £35m on him, perhaps £40m but no more.
Original post by Nickini
Wasn't this whole "angry and confused" business because of Moyes telling him he was second choice striker behind RVP? Hence me thinking he preferred to be a striker but... :dontknow: I don't doubt for a second Rooney's ability to play extremely well behind a striker isn't viewed as a huge bonus in Mourinho's eyes, but we're already stacked with young players with plenty of potential in that position, I don't think we'd have bothered buying Schurrle if we weren't planning on playing Rooney as a striker. Judging from preseason it seems we'll be favouring a 4-2-3-1 as it seems to suits our players more, but will occasionally switch to a 4-3-3.
I think Moyes' has had his words twisted anyway, I read it as him saying without RVP we would need Rooney in the team to fill the void rather than a statement that with RVP Rooney was surplus. To base Rooney as in the Rooney you have seen in recent season, that is Rooney as an AM, I personally don't think he has it to play as a true forward anymore, perhaps for a while, but the talk of him playing in midfield isn't for nothing. He just lacks the pace, the turn and agility he had 3 seasons ago, his ability to get on the ball in the hole, pass and such is what is valued now. That said, I would be interested to see how he would play as an all out striker. 4-3-3 was more a general statement, as in some form of 4-3-3 variant as Jose seems to favour.

Yeah, completely agree. If we'd wanted to spend ~£50m on a striker we'd have gone for Cavani or Falcao. I think we're just slowly increasing our bids in the hope that Rooney requests a transfer. Wouldn't mind us spending £35m on him, perhaps £40m but no more.
I'd like to see us hold out for £35m personally, but I doubt we will get more than that unless Roman grows impatient. I can see Rooney handing in a transfer request tbh. IMO Moyes will have mishandled the situation if he does, being in that situation so late in the window. You can see from the end of the SAF era what would have happened to Rooney had SAF stayed, a flight to Madrid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think Moyes' has had his words twisted anyway, I read it as him saying without RVP we would need Rooney in the team to fill the void rather than a statement that with RVP Rooney was surplus. To base Rooney as in the Rooney you have seen in recent season, that is Rooney as an AM, I personally don't think he has it to play as a true forward anymore, perhaps for a while, but the talk of him playing in midfield isn't for nothing. He just lacks the pace, the turn and agility he had 3 seasons ago, his ability to get on the ball in the hole, pass and such. That said, I would be interested to see how he would play as an all out striker. 4-3-3 was more a general statement, as in some form of 4-3-3 variant as Jose seems to favour.

I'd like to see us hold out for £35m personally, but I doubt we will get more than that unless Roman grows impatient. I can see Rooney handing in a transfer request tbh. IMO Moyes will have mishandled the situation if he does, being in that situation so late in the window. You can see from the end of the SAF era what would have happened to Rooney had SAF stayed, a flight to Madrid.

Would Madrid of actually wanted Rooney? I'm not so sure.
**** off Mourinho with your ****cunt offers
Original post by SirMasterKey
Would Madrid of actually wanted Rooney? I'm not so sure.
It was more reference to what happens when you fall out with SAF than actually being a serious transfer option. Had SAF stayed on Rooney would have been frozen out and sold asap.
Reply 7868
If any team outside England wants Rooney the price is £35mil but if someone wants to buy Rooney within England its £50mil, I'm pretty sure Wenger would've sold RVP for £18mil abroad if he could've than give him to us, Modric was sold for cheaper to Madrid than what Chelsea offered.

Heinze a second choice LB wasn't sold to Liverpool I doubt we will sell Rooney to Chelsea for anything over the tops.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Or Baines deal is done and he's the 8th August big announcement.

Tha latter announcement the Coronation Street actors tweeting annoyingly? I think it's one of them playing in Rio's testimonial than a signing. I mean, come on, a soap actor knowing a major Manchester United signing? Now that storyline would be work in a soap!

Contradiction in regards to offer Chelsea have made for Rooney (£25m plus £5m add on or £30m).

I imagine it's the former as they will try to negotiate as much as they can hope Rooney gives a transfer request before offering £35m. I really do not want to sell to Chelsea, especially with a coach (JM) who I feel could get something positive out of him and help them to the title. If it came to it and we had to sell in the PL, then I'd be happy to sell him to Arsenal if they were willing to offer the £40m (£1 not neccessary!) they were offering for Suarez for Wayne. Arsenal, if they failed to add other 2-3 major signings alongside Wayne, wouldn't trouble us for the league.

Or the other hope is that Madrid, having off-loaded Higuain, try to offer £25m (which is a low price but I would take if Rooney gives in a transfer request and wanted to leave).

I just fear that it'll drag and we won't end up with being able to buy a replacement but even if he went, then we'd have RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck (if he finds his shooting boots) and we might have to soldier on.
Apparently fabregas due to
Speak
At press conference could be the end of
Our chase
Original post by ledleyking123
Apparently fabregas due to
Speak
At press conference could be the end of
Our chase

Due to happen on Thursday you can wish till then :tongue:
Reply 7872
Original post by Aky786UK

I just fear that it'll drag and we won't end up with being able to buy a replacement but even if he went, then we'd have RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck (if he finds his shooting boots) and we might have to soldier on.

don't really need a rooney replacement, Kags will easily get 12 goals and 10 assists and when it comes to goal scoring ability hernandez is better than rooney.. In 22 starts and 5 sub apps rooney manages 12 goals meanwhile hernandez got 10 goals in 9 starts and 13 sub apps. the only worry of rooney leaving is physical presence in the midfield and competition for Kags.
on a separate note i fear Anderson is going nowhere, can't stand his face anymore
Original post by cost
don't really need a rooney replacement, Kags will easily get 12 goals and 10 assists and when it comes to goal scoring ability hernandez is better than rooney.. In 22 starts and 5 sub apps rooney manages 12 goals meanwhile hernandez got 10 goals in 9 starts and 13 sub apps. the only worry of rooney leaving is physical presence in the midfield and competition for Kags.
on a separate note i fear Anderson is going nowhere, can't stand his face anymore

Is he? When Rooney's played as our main striker, he's scored 34 goals in the season both times.
Original post by Malevolent
Due to happen on Thursday you can wish till then :tongue:

Even I might have to give up haha
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Is he? When Rooney's played as our main striker, he's scored 34 goals in the season both times.

And you also manage to not win the league in both occasions.
Original post by ledleyking123
Even I might have to give up haha

Quit while your ahead :tongue:

I saw on Twitter Fabregas to United was trending and it said Barcelona accept 35 million bid and I was like what???

Then I saw a BBC link and got really worried. Then I saw the link it opened to :laugh:
Original post by jam277
And you also manage to not win the league in both occasions.

Which is why we play him in the deeper position - we always win the league when he's there. :redface:

Still goes to show that he is a fine striker in his own right, even if he couldn't win us the league in that position. A lot of that was to do with the players around him.
Reply 7878
Original post by cost
don't really need a rooney replacement, Kags will easily get 12 goals and 10 assists

Basically this. Powell and Lingard both play this AM position, so we don't lack cover without Rooney, just experience. But, of course, I expect more goals from Rooney than I do from Kagawa as the former is a striker, so you'd need the wingers to be more direct and contribute more in order to compensate; running up the wing and crossing it isn't going to cut it without Rooney in the box with RVP.

The 4-2-3-1 that I expect we'll play under Moyes only has one striker anyway, so if RVP goes out then we have Hernandez or.... Welbeck *shudder*. Obviously neither of them are in the same class as Rooney, but it's difficult to have several world class players when there's only one spot; teams don't have amazing keepers sitting on the bench. Still, Welbeck doesn't seem to be much of a striker these days, and we'll want to shift to formations with two strikers when we need to attack, so three players there probably wouldn't be enough for an entire season. Is Will Keane anywhere near being fit? Oh and there's always Macheda :lol:

Anyway, I'm not tooooo worried about this part of the team anyway, I think we'll manage. It's midfield that remains my concern....
Reply 7879
Rooney has to play as a number 8 to guarantee playing time and have a future at the club.

The stats.

RVP with Kagawa score 1.6 goals per game.

RVP with Rooney scored 1.2 goals per game.

All 3 together with Kagawa at LW scored 1.2 goals per game.

RVP vs Rooney as a no9

Shots per game
4.95 vs 2.44

Chance conversion
22% vs 18%

Shot Accuracy
59% vs 56%

Kagawa vs Rooney as a no10

Mins per chance created
69 vs 41

Avg Pass Length
13 vs 17