The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by und
The description I heard can be summarised as follows: "womaniser". :tongue:

Seriously? I don't mind the description but I find it very difficult to believe I honestly give anyone that impression. :lol:
Original post by DJMayes
FP4? I didn't know AQA did Additional Further. Everything I know is wrong. :frown:

I'd like to see some more Maths in Physics A Levels. The exam board I do (OCR B) has woefully little and yet I hear it's supposed to be one of the harder boards, which makes me sad.

(I briefly saw the Geology but don't know enough about it to even begin having a semi-intelligent discussion. :redface: )

I did OCR B. It is one of the harder ones?! O.o Never knew/heard that :P and haha, geology is good fun. I found myself trying to identify what rocks buildings were made out of, measuring grain size of sandstones, and crystal sizes in granite. Oh, and photographing good examples of sedimentary layers. It's a fun subject I must admit, and the field trips sounds like a laugh.
Reply 3342
Original post by und
It pains me to see this thread keep popping up in my watched threads. I wish everybody the best of luck (particularly fellow STEPers) in meeting their offers.

Why the fatalistic tone?
Despite the risk of sounding trite, it isn't over until it's over.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3343
Original post by MW24595
Why the fatalistic tone?
Despite the risk of sounding trite, it isn't over until it's over.

Well... It's probably more likely that I'll get 2,1 than 1,1, and for some reason I just don't see myself being accepted with 2,1, since it seems that the people who were invited to the Easter school have a better chance.

Spoiler

Also I'm going to get like a D in M5, which won't look good. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3344
Congratulations everyone here! :blow:
Good luck to all ScotQuals people for tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3346
Original post by und
Well... It's probably more likely that I'll get 2,1 than 1,1, and for some reason I just don't see myself being accepted with 2,1, since it seems that the people who were invited to the Easter school have a better chance.

Spoiler

Hmm. There have been people accepted with 2,1s before, and those grades certainly have a fair shot at the pool. And note that you are, after all, merely conjecturing as to your grades, and that they may surprise you, for all you know. For now, worry not.

What do you mean by Easter School?

A D in M5? Bit of an exaggeration, wouldn't you say? :tongue:
Original post by und

Spoiler

I know someone who just finished second year who got into maths with 2,2 in STEP.... granted, he was pooled to Homerton and he did go on to get a 2:2 in his first and second year but if people with that manage to get in, you must have a shot with 2,1 surely?
Reply 3348
Anyone for Jesus or music?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3349
Original post by MW24595
Hmm. There have been people accepted with 2,1s before, and those grades certainly have a fair shot at the pool. And note that you are, after all, merely conjecturing as to your grades, and that they may surprise you, for all you know. For now, worry not.

What do you mean by Easter School?

A D in M5? Bit of an exaggeration, wouldn't you say? :tongue:

Well.. My estimate ranges between 70 (worst case) and 85 (best case) so depending on boundaries I could of course get a 1, but I'm really not counting on it. In STEP III I should get a high 1 so that's not a worry.

The Easter school invites people from comprehensive schools, and tutors are usually more lenient towards those people from what I've heard.

I wish I was exaggerating but I only learnt the parts relevant to STEP...
Reply 3350
Does anyone have an idea of the percentage of people who actually meet their STEP condition?
Reply 3351
Original post by RalphABB
Does anyone have an idea of the percentage of people who actually meet their STEP condition?

40% at a guess.
Reply 3352
Original post by und
40% at a guess.
Wow, should your percentage be accurate (Fingers crossed :P), that means that (if 80% of offer holders are confirmed on average) half of the students who get in don't meet their offer:biggrin:(Boy would that make my day :tongue:).
I'm an international student(who has taken the French Baccalaureate) who holds an offer from Magdalene for CompSci with Maths. Although I have well exceeded my Baccalaureate conditions(by 2 points over 20 at least, even in the specific subjects), there remains the STEP condition (S,1 :s-smilie:in II,III in any order) which is really worrying me. (My offer letter states that it may be possible to be considered for CompSci with NatSci instead should I fail to meet only the STEP condition, and that is if they are unable to relax it, but I really don't know whether to find this comforting:s-smilie:, especially with D-day looming ever closer)
Reply 3353
Original post by RalphABB
Wow, should your percentage be accurate (Fingers crossed :P), that means that (if 80% of offer holders are confirmed on average) half of the students who get in don't meet their offer:biggrin:(Boy would that make my day :tongue:).
I'm an international student(who has taken the French Baccalaureate) who holds an offer from Magdalene for CompSci with Maths. Although I have well exceeded my Baccalaureate conditions(by 2 points over 20 at least, even in the specific subjects), there remains the STEP condition (S,1 :s-smilie:in II,III in any order) which is really worrying me. (My offer letter states that it may be possible to be considered for CompSci with NatSci instead should I fail to meet only the STEP condition, and that is if they are unable to relax it, but I really don't know whether to find this comforting:s-smilie:, especially with D-day looming ever closer)

Well.. Only about 60% of offer holders get accepted. In figures roughly 400 get offers, 150 meet the offer, and another 100 get accepted anyway.
Reply 3354
Original post by und
Well.. Only about 60% of offer holders get accepted. In figures roughly 400 get offers, 150 meet the offer, and another 100 get accepted anyway.

Just checked the Cambridge application statistics, 253/506 in 2012 for Maths :frown:84/98 for CompSci (That's where my estimate comes from:tongue:). It's really annoying that I can't get any info on just the CompSci with Mathematics option.
Original post by und
It pains me to see this thread keep popping up in my watched threads. I wish everybody the best of luck (particularly fellow STEPers) in meeting their offers. I believe Cambridge already has everybody's results so the majority of decisions will have been made already, and all we mere offer holders can do now is endure another painful ten days of uncertainty!

I have been told that UCAS receive our results this Friday and forward them to universities on Saturday. :s-smilie: Anyway, not that it makes much difference - we still have to wait until the 15th to find out if we're in.
Reply 3356
Aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.:eek:

that's all........

im trying not to rethink what I wrote, and what I wish I'd written......and along with all the rest of you lovely people just crossing everything......

good luck one and all :smile:
Reply 3357
Original post by Oromis263
As do I. Fingers crossed people won't put two and two together... :tongue:

Likewise :ninjagirl: At least there is like a 99% chance I have missed my offer and won't meet any of you :lol:
Original post by Etoile
Likewise :ninjagirl: At least there is like a 99% chance I have missed my offer and won't meet any of you :lol:

0.99n 0.99^n where n is very large.
Reply 3359
Original post by bananarama2
0.99n 0.99^n where n is very large.

I don't understand :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending