The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I'm not an SQA student, but was interested does clearing open earlier for you guys?
Original post by Ziggiezag
So I got 4As and B, which I am delighted about! I'm wanting to study Actuarial Science at Heriott-Watt next year and was wondering what a typical unconditional offer would be for that course, anyone able to help me out? And anyone else planning to do this subject? :smile:

Congrats to everyone by the way, everyone seems to be getting pretty awesome results :biggrin:

If you meet the requirements, you have a chance to get an unconditional. It's not a guarantee, but most universities would tend to give you an unconditional if you meet there requirements.
Original post by AdoreMoi
I'm not an SQA student, but was interested does clearing open earlier for you guys?

Sort of. Clearing for Scottish universities opens today for us. We don't get to see what's going on at English universities until the 15th like yous.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Sort of. Clearing for Scottish universities opens today for us. We don't get to see what's going on at English universities until the 15th like yous.

ohhh okay, that makes sense
How does clearing look so far then?
Reply 1224
I'm afraid we can't tell you your exact chances of getting a successful appeal, the SQA take into account loads of factors concerning the evidence you provide and it can be awfully idiosyncratic, so it'd be impossible for us to tell you the likelihood of getting a successful appeal! If you were predicted by your school a higher grade than a C, then you're eligible for an appeal. The best thing to do is to get in contact with them as soon as you can and try to sort one out. From there, it's in the SQA's hands!

Yeah dude, you'd definitely have a chance! BBBC meets the requirements after all. :smile:

I think i was predicted an A for product. Most of my other subjects predicted me a C. Hell in the pre lim i failed english and they took me off higher for a week then the teacher put me back in and i got a B. Strange world. How do i go about the appeal process ?
Got 93% in my Admin Prelim and passed all my NAB's very comfortably. Got a B in the final exam (already have an unconditional so not too bothered, but it's a pride thing) so what are my odds of gaining an A on appeal?
Original post by AdoreMoi
ohhh okay, that makes sense
How does clearing look so far then?

Dunno. I'm already at uni, I'm just helping out with results' day this year. :tongue:
It all looks quite pretty and well laid out, though. They've updated everything!

Original post by Johnm75
I think i was predicted an A for product. Most of my other subjects predicted me a C. Hell in the pre lim i failed english and they took me off higher for a week then the teacher put me back in and i got a B. Strange world. How do i go about the appeal process ?

You'll be eligible for an appeal then. :smile:
All you have to do is get in touch with your school (the sooner, the better) and say that you'd like an appeal for Product (you might have to get in touch with a certain teacher - like yours or the department head), they'll take it from there and let you know!

Original post by KeithyDee
Got 93% in my Admin Prelim and passed all my NAB's very comfortably. Got a B in the final exam (already have an unconditional so not too bothered, but it's a pride thing) so what are my odds of gaining an A on appeal?

We can't tell you the odds - lots of things are taken into account wrt appeals, so it's impossible to give you even a truthful rough estimate!

I wouldn't bother appealing if you've got a UC. Forget about your pride. It costs the school money to submit them, and you don't have anything to gain, really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you have to ask for an appeal or will the school send it away? I don't need it or anything but I got an A in my higher geo prelim and was predicted an A and ended up with a B so it would be nice to get it if i could just for the sake of having it :smile:
Reply 1228
Anyone know if you can get a successful appeal by just using NABs, predicted grades and internal assessments (like without the prelim) cause I got a C in Higher Eng which I thought I would do much better on, I got a D in the prelim but I've got good results for the NABs and as well as doing weekly critical essays I've put in the effort to do more essay during my spare time (about 17) which could maybe be used as evidence cause I still have them (I would say I've gotten an average score of 19 for all of them)
Original post by MC1723
Anyone know if you can get a successful appeal by just using NABs, predicted grades and internal assessments (like without the prelim) cause I got a C in Higher Eng which I thought I would do much better on, I got a D in the prelim but I've got good results for the NABs and as well as doing weekly critical essays I've put in the effort to do more essay during my spare time (about 17) which could maybe be used as evidence cause I still have them (I would say I've gotten an average score of 19 for all of them)

I don't think so, It's hard enough to get an appeal for english even with a good prelim.
Reply 1230
Original post by deedee123
Do you have to ask for an appeal or will the school send it away? I don't need it or anything but I got an A in my higher geo prelim and was predicted an A and ended up with a B so it would be nice to get it if i could just for the sake of having it :smile:
For SG my French teacher just sent an appeal for me without telling me so I didn't find out until I got my new certificate! :smile: you should ask just in case though
10 Int 2s!? Congratulations, mate, those are amazing results. Off to 5th year, then? :wink:

Yeah S5 :smile: where i need to put in 110% effort to ensure i keep on top of my subjects.
Original post by MC1723

You need to ask your school, but I would say they would be unlikely to go ahead. The prelim usually forms the core of any appeal.
Reply 1233
I don't think so, It's hard enough to get an appeal for english even with a good prelim.

Aaawww :'( really? also I thought they were more lenient with eng in comparison to like maths.... today is the worse day ever I thought I would do sooo much better in relation to eng like for Christ sakes im taking advanced and I got a C at higher *sighes
Reply 1234
You'll be eligible for an appeal then. :smile:
All you have to do is get in touch with your school (the sooner, the better) and say that you'd like an appeal for Product (you might have to get in touch with a certain teacher - like yours or the department head), they'll take it from there and let you know!

Thanks for the help. Good thing we are going in tomorrow to Confirm/Change subjects for 6th year. Going to need Int 2 Maths anyway. Which i had to drop out of this year because i was doing really bad and it was affecting my other subjects.

Normally, you have to ask. Some schools do appeal without asking, but it costs money to submit them, so it'd be a waste appealing for a candidate who doesn't want or need it! If you want to appeal, get in touch with your school and ask, but you really have nothing to gain from this appeal if it's just for prettiness' sake. :tongue:

Original post by MC1723

It's worth noting that you're only eligible for an appeal if the predicted grade sent to the SQA is higher than your actual grade (i.e. you were predicted a B or higher).

Original post by Johnm75
Thanks for the help. Good thing we are going in tomorrow to Confirm/Change subjects for 6th year. Going to need Int 2 Maths anyway. Which i had to drop out of this year because i was doing really bad and it was affecting my other subjects.

It's no problem! Best of luck, mate. Hope it all works out for you. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1236
Normally, you have to ask. Some schools do appeal without asking, but it costs money to submit them, so it'd be a waste appealing for a candidate who doesn't want or need it! If you want to appeal, get in touch with your school and ask, but you really have nothing to gain from this appeal if it's just for prettiness' sake. :tongue:

It's worth noting that you're only eligible for an appeal if the predicted grade sent to the SQA is higher than your actual grade (i.e. you were predicted a B or higher).

predicted grade as in a totally separate grade from the prelim one yh...? or are they the same thing..?
Reply 1237
It's no problem! Best of luck, mate. Hope it all works out for you. :smile:

Thanks, me too :smile:

Good luck at Uni too
Original post by MC1723
predicted grade as in a totally separate grade from the prelim one yh...? or are they the same thing..?

Aye, predicted grade is separate! Get in touch with your school if you want to know, they'll be able to tell you whether or not you're eligible (no harm in asking!). Like Sam said, though, the appeal usually centres around the prelim!

Original post by Johnm75
Thanks, me too :smile:

Good luck at Uni too

Thanks bud!
Hi I got ABB at higher. Do I have a chance of getting a conditional offer and what's the maximum amount of highers they can ask you for. For example if a course requires 6 highers over 2 years. Is it possible for a conditional

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending