The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by elixirs
Yeah anything will do! But mind you since there's much fewer grades given back at A level, it's less of a '10 bricks thrown in your face at the same time' feeling:bricks:

True, but instead of 10 bricks it's 3 houses :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 1881
people getting their SQA results makes me sad
Hi, I'm new to TSR but I have been following this thread for ages ! Just wondering, did anyone do the aqa English language exam ? I thought the theme was predictable :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Okay sorry for the constant questions but say I got 94 ums in aqa P1 and 35/50 in the ISA, does anyone know roughly what I'd need to get in P2 and P3 on average to get an A* overall?

Your ISA mark is likely to give you anywhere from 74 - 80 UMS. You would therefore need a cumulative total of 186 - 192 UMS over P2 and P3, which is an average of 93 - 96 UMS per paper.
Reply 1884
Original post by Tanisha97
Hi, I'm new to TSR but I have been following this thread for ages ! Just wondering, did anyone do the aqa English language exam ? I thought the theme was predictable :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

We might have.... what was in it and I might recognize it?

I did the one in January and got a good mark, but everyone else did terrible and the department offered us all free resits in Summer, so I took that too because highest mark goes through :P
Reply 1885
Original post by Tibbz2
True, but instead of 10 bricks it's 3 houses :eek: :biggrin:

Ahahah if you put it that way! I guess that means I won't be seeing you on this thread after results day then?!:gasp:
Original post by Tibbz2
We might have.... what was in it and I might recognize it?

I did the one in January and got a good mark, but everyone else did terrible and the department offered us all free resits in Summer, so I took that too because highest mark goes through :P

I did the one in June .. It was about eating processed meat and its affect on teenagers. The writing questions were about explaining your worst & best meal and persuading young people to have a healthy lifestyle. I thought it went well :smile: but if I want an A overall for language then I needed to get a high A, because I only just scrapped an A on my coursework :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am fairly new to TSR but what do I do if I dont get the results needed for my A Levels?
Reply 1888
Original post by elixirs
Ahahah if you put it that way! I guess that means I won't be seeing you on this thread after results day then?!:gasp:

:biggrin:

Original post by Tanisha97
I did the one in June .. It was about eating processed meat and its affect on teenagers. The writing questions were about explaining your worst & best meal and persuading young people to have a healthy lifestyle. I thought it went well :smile: but if I want an A overall for language then I needed to get a high A, because I only just scrapped an A on my coursework :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes I remember that, it was the summer one so I didn't exactly try my best on it unfortunately! I got a mark or two off an A* going by last year's boundaries on my Jan paper so I wasn't too bothered, because all I want in Lang is a B anyway! Your CW is better than mine so don't worry, I'm sure the boundaries should be less than last year because of the massive rows they had!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1889
Original post by Kelv1nder
I am fairly new to TSR but what do I do if I dont get the results needed for my A Levels?

Welcome!:smile:
What A levels do you want to do?
Reply 1890

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but at our school (the same place we will go to sixth form) we just talk to whoever is putting us down for the courses who is there on results day, and if you're not far off you can still get in, if not you have to take another subject
Original post by Tibbz2
:biggrin:

Ah yes I remember that, it was the summer one so I didn't exactly try my best on it unfortunately! I got a mark or two off an A* going by last year's boundaries on my Jan paper so I wasn't too bothered, because all I want in Lang is a B anyway! Your CW is better than mine so don't worry, I'm sure the boundaries should be less than last year because of the massive rows they had!

Haha I hope so :smile:, But if I get a B then I'm gonna resit the exam in November

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elixirs
Welcome!:smile:
What A levels do you want to do?

I am thinking Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and Law
Reply 1893
This might be pure coincidence, but I've heard more or less the same subjects mentioned by everyone as their worst exams. In my school, people who took the same exam board in a subject with several options (i.e: Edexcel French, Spanish or German for their languages studies and AQA Graphics, Resistant Materials or Food Tech for their Design Technology studies) all complained about how hard it was.

So basically a lot of people found these subjects their hardest in my school, despite taking different languages or tech choices with the same board. Do exam boards try and make ALL of their language or tech exams (for example) to the same difficulty, or is this just a massive coincidence?
Reply 1894
I am thinking Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and Law

Well from my experience the grades you often need are:
Maths- A
Chemistry - A or B (depends on 6th form/college's own requirements)
Psychology- B or B in English Language (I think?)
Law- None specific (but you do need your C in Eng/Maths, as always)

Usually if you miss the offer you can't do the subject but depending on the 6th form/college, they may allow a compromise especially if you were close to the grade/were predicted the grade in the first place
Original post by elixirs
Well from my experience the grades you often need are:
Maths- A
Chemistry - A or B (depends on 6th form/college's own requirements)
Psychology- B or B in English Language (I think?)
Law- None specific (but you do need your C in Eng/Maths, as always)

Usually if you miss the offer you can't do the subject but depending on the 6th form/college, they may allow a compromise especially if you were close to the grade/were predicted the grade in the first place

Thanks. I need to get A in Maths and Bs in Science and a C in English. Just worried about my English grade and if don't get a C, will I still be able to do A Levels? If not, what are my options? I dont want to have to resit all my GCSEs again as my other grades are (hopefully A&B)
Reply 1896
Thanks. I need to get A in Maths and Bs in Science and a C in English. Just worried about my English grade and if don't get a C, will I still be able to do A Levels? If not, what are my options? I dont want to have to resit all my GCSEs again as my other grades are (hopefully A&B)

You must have good academic ability to chose those subjects so you should have some faith in yourself:smile:

Also about English, most Colleges/6th form provide and allow resits in English/Maths since they are seen as the necessary GCSEs. In the worse case situation you'll pay for the resit. However, if you get those grades you should not have a problem!
Reply 1897
Original post by CD223
This might be pure coincidence, but I've heard more or less the same subjects mentioned by everyone as their worst exams. In my school, people who took the same exam board in a subject with several options (i.e: Edexcel French, Spanish or German for their languages studies and AQA Graphics, Resistant Materials or Food Tech for their Design Technology studies) all complained about how hard it was.

So basically a lot of people found these subjects their hardest in my school, despite taking different languages or tech choices with the same board. Do exam boards try and make ALL of their language or tech exams (for example) to the same difficulty, or is this just a massive coincidence?

I don't believe they try to PURPOSELY make those exams difficult (but *cough* Michael Gove), though damn that French Edexcel one was haaaaaaaaaaaaaard:eek:
Reply 1898
Original post by Ferrari Lexus
ME TOO! when my exams were over, i especially wanted to revise for SPANISH. idk why though . . .

Exactly!! Missing my cue cards, highlighters and textbooks but come A-levels, I'm sure we'll start procrastinating again :smile:
Me too!! I have actually forgotten basic Spanish grammar and if you gave me something to translate, I wouldn't be able to do it. Oops! Are you taking Spanish for A-level?
Original post by LewisC
Yeh I should be if I get the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. If you don't mind me asking, what are you gonna study? & Did you go to the induction day in July?

Latest