The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by Ecosse_14
Oxford :yep: Make sure they've received your results.

called them. although the guy on the phone didn't have my results in front of him, I found out they'll wait till a levels are out before updating. May be it's cos I have an open offer?
Hello!:smile:

Need some advice regarding what to do!

In S6 I was only able to attend 52% of the school year due to having Depression and a Generalised Anxiety Disorder and so I had to drop 3 Highers: Chemistry, Biology and History. This left me with two Highers: Modern Studies and English. I got a B in English and a C in Modern Studies.

My original plan was to study Biomedical Science then go on to study Medicine, but obviously I wont manage to do this now. I've been accepted to college but just wanted to know if I had any other options.

Thanks! :-)
Reply 1402
Chemistry - A
English - A
French - A
Human Biology - A
Maths - A

So happy! Well done to everyone else too, so many great sets of results! :smile:

Hopefully this will set me up well for applying to medicine! Now just the UKCAT and personal statement to worry about :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1403
Hey guys congrats on your results some pretty amazing ones well done. here's my Higher results: A- Business management/history B-English/chemistry/Computing (one year early) and C- maths :angry: .Annoyed at maths but oh well always time to resit that higher in sixth year. just anybody with a bit of advice out of there are they good enough for Uni or do I need to totally screw the nut in sixth year any advice appreciated
Reply 1404
Original post by Legii
called them. although the guy on the phone didn't have my results in front of him, I found out they'll wait till a levels are out before updating. May be it's cos I have an open offer?

Ah so you don't have a College yet? Then that will be the reason then, yep :yep: They'll wait to see what College you can fit into. :smile:
Reply 1405
Original post by Ecosse_14
Ah so you don't have a College yet? Then that will be the reason then, yep :yep: They'll wait to see what College you can fit into. :smile:

Thank you for your help :smile: I feel much better that those unrealistic results aren't because sqa messed up lol. At first I thought that was the reason track wouldn't update!
Original post by Legii
I've just called them. Apparently i have to wait till A-level results are out before they confirm on Track :/
Thanks for your advice! I've waited all summer so another week isn't really much lol

Ecosse_14 is spot on. :smile:
Come back to us next week and let us know how it goes!

Original post by tinalikescheese
Hello!:smile:

Need some advice regarding what to do!

In S6 I was only able to attend 52% of the school year due to having Depression and a Generalised Anxiety Disorder and so I had to drop 3 Highers: Chemistry, Biology and History. This left me with two Highers: Modern Studies and English. I got a B in English and a C in Modern Studies.

My original plan was to study Biomedical Science then go on to study Medicine, but obviously I wont manage to do this now. I've been accepted to college but just wanted to know if I had any other options.

Thanks! :-)

Hi there, I'm really sorry to hear that this year has been so hard on you. It can't have been easy, and I know how difficult dealing with mental health issues can be. I'm just wondering, what is it that you're currently off to do at college? :smile:

Original post by coultra1
Chemistry - A
English - A
French - A
Human Biology - A
Maths - A

So happy! Well done to everyone else too, so many great sets of results! :smile:

Hopefully this will set me up well for applying to medicine! Now just the UKCAT and personal statement to worry about :frown:

Hopefully? Nah. This sets you up great for applying to medicine. In fact, I did the exact same subjects as you did in 5th year and am now going into my 2nd year. :cute:
Good luck with the rest of your application, and best of luck!!

Original post by Lyle9
Hey guys congrats on your results some pretty amazing ones well done. here's my Higher results: A- Business management/history B-English/chemistry/Computing (one year early) and C- maths :angry: .Annoyed at maths but oh well always time to resit that higher in sixth year. just anybody with a bit of advice out of there are they good enough for Uni or do I need to totally screw the nut in sixth year any advice appreciated

AABBBC are completely good grades! Whether they're "good enough" depends on what for and where you apply. It's as simple as looking at entry requirements for the courses you'd want to study and see if you'd be able to qualify. I know for some courses, you already qualify for an unconditional, whereas others, you'd get rejected! It depends what you want to do, and unfortunately we can't generalise it to everywhere, but in general, yeah, they're good enough for uni. :tongue:

Original post by Legii
Thank you for your help :smile: I feel much better that those unrealistic results aren't because sqa messed up lol. At first I thought that was the reason track wouldn't update!

Haha! No, the results are definitely real. Congratulations on making it, mate. :smile:
Original post by moddom
I have a conditional for 2 Bs for Law at Dundee but got an A and a C, UCAS has not been updated yet, how long should I wait before calling Dundee. My mum is stressing, lol

What did you get last year in your highers?
I got a 2,2 for Maths but I have been getting 1's for KU and a 2 for RE for about 2 years. My 2nd prelim I got I think 94% KU and 66% RE. Would it be likely to be successful to appeal for a 1 with my 2nd prelim?
Original post by cheesecheese55
I got a 2,2 for Maths but I have been getting 1's for KU and a 2 for RE for about 2 years. My 2nd prelim I got I think 94% KU and 66% RE. Would it be likely to be successful to appeal for a 1 with my 2nd prelim?

I'm afraid we can't tell you how likely you are to get an appeal; it simply depends on far too many factors for us to give you an honest answer! The best thing we can say is that you should get in touch with your teachers when you go back to school to see if you'd be eligible for an appeal and if they'd be willing to submit one on your behalf. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 2 over a 1, though. It's unlikely to have much of an impact on your future! :smile:
Reply 1410
H English - A
H Human Biology - A
AH Chemistry - A
AH Maths - B

I'm pissed off about the B, it ruins my Certificate and sticks out like a sore thumb :frown: Although I knew I was getting it from the day of the exam.

My results count for nothing this year anyway since I already have my unconditional. My last ever SQA results day :cry:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cl1.
H English - A
H Human Biology - A
AH Chemistry - A
AH Maths - B

I'm pissed off about the B, it ruins my Certificate and sticks out like a sore thumb :frown: Although I knew I was getting it from the day of the exam.

My results count for nothing this year anyway since I already have my unconditional. My last ever SQA results day :cry:.

Well done! Don't worry about maths, I got a C (which is then followed by 6 As and a B at Highers) and it is right at the top of mine too. My mum says it definitely ruins it :wink:
So another question about adjustment - does your personal statement matter? Like my brother has applied for Computer Science and he wants to do something totally different but his statementis based on CS.. so would that matter at all?

Thanks
Reply 1413
Original post by Silence_Will_Fal
So another question about adjustment - does your personal statement matter? Like my brother has applied for Computer Science and he wants to do something totally different but his statementis based on CS.. so would that matter at all?

Thanks

Depends on the university. They might even ask for an additional PS related to the new subject or they may just accept him based on his grades alone.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Hi there, I'm really sorry to hear that this year has been so hard on you. It can't have been easy, and I know how difficult dealing with mental health issues can be. I'm just wondering, what is it that you're currently off to do at college? :smile:

Hello!:smile: It's fine hehe, I'm over the worst of it now I reckon.. I'll live! :rolleyes: I've been accepted to Level 5 Applied Sciences, after which I'd sit 5 Highers at college and then apply for Medicine after that.. that's the route I was recommended to take by a nurse/3rd year med student but I was just interested to hear some opinions from other people. :smile:
Reply 1415
Original post by Adykonvict1
What did you get last year in your highers?

AAB last year. Have tried calling but just getting a recorded message
was anyone told by their teachers for languages writing they were getting a credit grade and then find you were graded with a 3/4. I was told my German and Spanish writing was a 2. My German teacher even said it was "a harsh 2". Find in my results got a 3 for German writing and a 4 for Spanish writing. Are these markers very strict?
Original post by tinalikescheese
Hello!:smile: It's fine hehe, I'm over the worst of it now I reckon.. I'll live! :rolleyes: I've been accepted to Level 5 Applied Sciences, after which I'd sit 5 Highers at college and then apply for Medicine after that.. that's the route I was recommended to take by a nurse/3rd year med student but I was just interested to hear some opinions from other people. :smile:

I'm very glad things are looking up for you. :smile:

I'm not actually sure that doing 5 Highers after the level 5 certificate would be a good option for you; yours is a very unique case (I've been on the medicine forum here for 2 and a half years now and I've literally never seen anyone in your circumstances :tongue:)! I'd recommend getting in touch with med school admissions directly and ask if they would consider you via this route, just to be sure. And let me know what they say! Because I'd quite like to know, too. :tongue:

As for alternatives that you asked about before, many alternatives exist! There are access courses, foundation courses, and the like. There are courses that allow you to transfer over to medicine during study, you could do a degree and apply as a graduate to the 4-year accelerated programme, or even for the 5 year again! How suitable these various routes are to you or how likely they are to achieve you a place, I couldn't be sure because I don't have much knowledge of getting into med school outside of the standard route and GEM. These are just more things for you to consider and to look into - I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1418
Have just called Dundee re Law. My conditional offer was 2 Bs and I got an A and a C today. I already have AAB. They said they were reconsidering all conditional offers and would update UCAS in the next few days.
Original post by moddom
Have just called Dundee re Law. My conditional offer was 2 Bs and I got an A and a C today. I already have AAB. They said they were reconsidering all conditional offers and would update UCAS in the next few days.

That's great! Check back in a few days and see how things have gone: fingers crossed that they accept you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending