The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Appeals FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by msmillie
Is it possible to appeal from a C to an A? I was predicted an A in product design as I got 87% in the first prelim and 79% in the 2nd. There is a design folio worth 50% of the grade so I don't know what brought me down as I was predicted mid 50s out of 70 in that.

It's possible, but nobody can tell whether you'll be successful I'm afraid. :smile:
today whenI got my results through I recieved 4As and a B in english. To be fair I did muck up my prelim in the close reading section but my essays brought my overall prelim mark up to a B.

Throughout the year I have consistently been recieving As throughout the year and so it has only been my prelim that I messed up (and obviously for some reason my exam)

Is there anyway that evidence throughout my academic year could be used or would I be considered to have my paper remarked

please help !
thanks
Reply 42
Original post by evalilyXOX
today whenI got my results through I recieved 4As and a B in english. To be fair I did muck up my prelim in the close reading section but my essays brought my overall prelim mark up to a B.

Throughout the year I have consistently been recieving As throughout the year and so it has only been my prelim that I messed up (and obviously for some reason my exam)

Is there anyway that evidence throughout my academic year could be used or would I be considered to have my paper remarked

please help !
thanks

SQA don't offer remarks. If you got a B in your prelim then your teachers may have predicted you a B in which case you wouldn't be eligible for an appeal. Worth checking though.

please help !
thanks

Other assessments certainly can be used as part of evidence, but the prelim is the "main" evidence that it all revolves around. As always, though, we can't tell you about the likelihood of an appeal being successful!

There's also the matter of eligibility: you'd only be eligible for an appeal if you were predicted an A in English. If you want an appeal, best thing to do is get in touch with your school ASAP and discuss it with them. :smile:

I'm afraid that remarks aren't an option. :frown:
Original post by Ecosse_14
SQA don't offer remarks. If you got a B in your prelim then your teachers may have predicted you a B in which case you wouldn't be eligible for an appeal. Worth checking though.

oh I thought u could get it remarked cause that happened to a friend of mine for her higher chemistry last year
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Other assessments certainly can be used as part of evidence, but the prelim is the "main" evidence that it all revolves around. As always, though, we can't tell you about the likelihood of an appeal being successful!

There's also the matter of eligibility: you'd only be eligible for an appeal if you were predicted an A in English. If you want an appeal, best thing to do is get in touch with your school ASAP and discuss it with them. :smile:

I'm afraid that remarks aren't an option. :frown:

but people had their papers remarked last year at my school for their highers
Reply 46
oh I thought u could get it remarked cause that happened to a friend of mine for her higher chemistry last year

Are you sure? SQA are very clear that no school, teacher, candidate, parent, or whoever can request a paper to be remarked. They have pretty rigorous marking and re-marking processes so they argue remarks are not necessary.
sorry my mistake she got a recount x i apologise !

Haha, don't worry about it! Besides Eva, AAAAB is a fantastic set of grades! :smile:
Reply 49

No need to apologise :h:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Haha, don't worry about it! Besides Eva, AAAAB is a fantastic set of grades! :smile:

I mean I am really grateful for my results as I know that lots of other people have done much worse than expected with some failing to meet their course requirements, but I put sooo many hours of work into this year (i even had to sacrifice friendships over this) yet it feels like i did it all for nothing as I was in it to get my 5As and nothing else
I mean I am really grateful for my results as I know that lots of other people have done much worse than expected with some failing to meet their course requirements, but I put sooo many hours of work into this year (i even had to sacrifice friendships over this) yet it feels like i did it all for nothing as I was in it to get my 5As and nothing else

I understand. You put in so much work, and you just don't feel like you got the grades to show it!
In a couple of years, your Higher grades won't even matter to you any more. Trust me! I'm really sorry that you feel disappointed with your results now, but I hope that in the future you'll be able to look back and be very proud of what you've achieved and all the hard work you put in. :smile:
This year I was sitting SG's/Int 2's and I got 2's in English and Geography. I think I was predicted to get a 1 in both of those yet I don't think there's actually any evidence of me achieving a 1...
In the prelim for english close reading, I was one mark off getting a grade one but my teacher(head of department) is extremely disorganised so we never went over the paper even though I could have gained a few extra marks to get my grade up.
In Geography I achieved a 1/2 for KU/ES. However, because the ratio is 40:60, that was an overall 2. That's also what I achieved in the final exam. The teacher (also head of department) never returned after the Easter Holiday - 15th April - so it was hard trying to revise without an actual teacher who could help :\
If I'm on the list for considered appeals, is there a possibility that I'd get a successful appeal as it was so close to the boundary for either subjects?
I don't think I'll be affected if I don't get the appeals obviously, as I have a much better teacher for Higher English and I know I'll never need to take Geography, but I'm just curious :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by greenladybird
This year I was sitting SG's/Int 2's and I got 2's in English and Geography. I think I was predicted to get a 1 in both of those yet I don't think there's actually any evidence of me achieving a 1...
In the prelim for english close reading, I was one mark off getting a grade one but my teacher(head of department) is extremely disorganised so we never went over the paper even though I could have gained a few extra marks to get my grade up.
In Geography I achieved a 1/2 for KU/ES. However, because the ratio is 40:60, that was an overall 2. That's also what I achieved in the final exam. The teacher (also head of department) never returned after the Easter Holiday - 15th April - so it was hard trying to revise without an actual teacher who could help :\
If I'm on the list for considered appeals, is there a possibility that I'd get a successful appeal as it was so close to the boundary for either subjects?
I don't think I'll be affected if I don't get the appeals obviously, as I have a much better teacher for Higher English and I know I'll never need to take Geography, but I'm just curious :smile:

If there's not evidence of you achieving a 1 then I'm afraid the chances of you getting a successful appeal are very slim.
Reply 54
For my English prelim I got an A, however I was predicted a B and got a B in the final exam. Is this still eligible for an appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by kurt123
For my English prelim I got an A, however I was predicted a B and got a B in the final exam. Is this still eligible for an appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you were predicted a B (as in the grades that your teacher sent to the SQA), then you won't be eligible I'm afraid.
Reply 56
If you were predicted a B (as in the grades that your teacher sent to the SQA), then you won't be eligible I'm afraid.

Hmmmm! I will double check what my teacher predicted me. As I said to my teacher myself to put down a B. So I don't know if this was updated later on in the year.
I really want that A. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by kurt123
Hmmmm! I will double check what my teacher predicted me. As I said to my teacher myself to put down a B. So I don't know if this was updated later on in the year.
I really want that A. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, best to check with your teacher! Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 58
Yep, best to check with your teacher! Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the chances of getting an appeal if you failed the exam but passed your prelim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest