The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

That's kind of the point - it's to demonstrate that the expression 11^{\infty} is meaningless. That's the context it was from originally :smile:
Problem 304*

Does there exist an integer, k, such that using only at most k coin flips, a number in the set {1,2,3} can be randomly picked with each being equally likely?
Original post by Jkn
I hadn't actually tried this problem when I posted it (as it was a 'problem 6' from the Putnam exam and I was hunting around for things that were going to challenge people), but I've given it a go and just managed to solve it! Really enjoyable so I hope people take a crack at it! :biggrin:

Hmm - I've proved a much weaker result than what I need, but it's an interesting problem. I'll sleep on it :smile:
Original post by james22
Problem 304*

Does there exist an integer, k, such that using only at most k coin flips, a number in the set {1,2,3} can be randomly picked with each being equally likely?

It's easy to get "arbitrarily likely to have made a random pick" if we get k high enough… after nine flips, I can have a 1/256 chance of not having made a decision, for instance, while after 27 flips, I can have a 1226\dfrac{1}{2^{26}} chance of not having made a decision. I'm still thinking about ways to improve this.
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

Hence I said doing some bad maths :tongue:
It's as Smaug says.
Reply 2105
Original post by Smaug123
That's kind of the point - it's to demonstrate that the expression 11^{\infty} is meaningless. That's the context it was from originally :smile:

Yeah but I get that horrible sick feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I see incorrect mathematical reasoning - it reminds me of every Physics lesson I've ever been in! :frown:

Also, showing that it is greater than 2 does not prove that it is indeterminate. We need to theorems that rely on it having been established that a limit exists and so all that needs to be done is to show that the utilization of such theorems can lead to more than one value for 11^{\infty} (a contradiction).

Also, they have not even proven that a solution greater than 2 exists as they are supposing that
limn(f(n))n=(limnf(n))limnn\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( f(n) \right)^n = \left( \lim_{n \to \infty} f(n) \right)^{\lim_{n \to \infty} n}
which, even if the final limit exists, is invalid as limnn\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} n does not exists and so the rule cannot be applied. :tongue:
Reply 2106
Hmm - I've proved a much weaker result than what I need, but it's an interesting problem. I'll sleep on it :smile:

What weaker result have you proven? The special case in which k=1?

Yes it certainly is! I did half an hour yesterday, went round in circles, and then tried it again this morning and got it in just over half an hour! :smile:

My solution is really elegant (in my opinion) but in my searching online I have found that the most commonly found solution was very long and very (very!) insane. One guy had an similarl method to mine though but I am unable to find any officially solutions (yet) :tongue:
Original post by joostan
Hence I said doing some bad maths :tongue:
It's as Smaug says.

Ah good! :tongue:

Spoiler

Had a go at the awesome sequence question yet? I have the feeling it is the kind of problem you would demolish (so long as you have the proper toolbox of techniques at your disposal)! :biggrin:
It's easy to get "arbitrarily likely to have made a random pick" if we get k high enough… after nine flips, I can have a 1/256 chance of not having made a decision, for instance, while after 27 flips, I can have a 1226\dfrac{1}{2^{26}} chance of not having made a decision. I'm still thinking about ways to improve this.

That's the tricky bit, the number of potential flips needs to be bounded.
Reply 2108
Original post by james22
Problem 304*

Solution 304

There exists no such integer k.

The problem is essentially equivalent to constructing a probability of 13\frac{1}{3} out of any linear combination of probabilities of the form 12n\frac{1}{2^n} where n is an integer. Here we are essentially considering the construction of one such value of 13\frac{1}{3} as this is a necessary condition (and disproof of any such condition is sufficient for contradiction).

We suppose that 13=i=1nai2i\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{a_i}{2^i} which is a necessary condition (though not sufficient as we choose not to place constraints on aka_k besides from the obvious one that it is a positive integer). This is also implied by the existence of a value of an integer k as k=3i=1niai\displaystyle k = 3 \sum_{i=1}^n i a_i.

The impossibility of this construction can be proven in a number of ways. The most simple way is to prove this is by noting that 2 and 3 are coprime and so no fraction on the right hand side could be constructed with a denominator of 3. To bring mathematical justification to this statement we multiply through by 2n2^n:

2n3=i=1nai2ni=i=1nani2i\displaystyle \Rightarrow \frac{2^n}{3} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i 2^{n-i} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_{n-i} 2^i

which is a contradiction as the left hand side is not an integer as 2 and 3 being coprime implies that 2n2^n and 3 are coprime and the right hand side is obviously as integer as n is finite.

This is implies that no such linear combination exists and, hence, that no integer k exists \square
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

Depressingly little progress, I know :tongue:
ETA: Also, the starting value a_0 shouldn't matter, because a_n is unbounded so eventually we'll exceed wherever we started. A little thing, but it might help!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2110

Spoiler

Depressingly little progress, I know :tongue:
ETA: Also, the starting value a_0 shouldn't matter, because a_n is unbounded so eventually we'll exceed wherever we started. A little thing, but it might help!

Hmm well it sounds like youve got he initial tedious bit of rigour out o the way!

They need to be greater than zero in order to restrict ana_n to the set of real numbers. :smile:

Here's some problems I just shared on ASOM (though I would pop them on here too as, if people are going to be writing solutions without extensive discussion, this is certainly the place for it). The first 4 are from BMO2 and the 5th is from Putnam (though it is a 'problem 1').

Problem 305*

Prove that the sequence defined by y0=1y_0=1, yn+1=12(3yn+5yn24)\displaystyle y_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2} \left(3y_n + \sqrt{5y_n^2-4} \right) for n0n \ge 0 consists only of integers.

[As a bonus, can you find any 'similar' sequences for which this is true?]

Problem 306

Find all solutions in non-negative integers a,b to a+b=2009\displaystyle \sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{2009}

[As a bonus, why not generalise this in the obvious way? Giving all solutions a,b,c dependent on either c having a certain property or c simply being any integer]

Problem 307

Find the minimum possible value of x2+y2\displaystyle x^2+y^2 where x,y are real numbers such that xy(x2y2)=x2+y2\displaystyle xy(x^2-y^2)=x^2+y^2 and x0x \not= 0.

Problem 308

Find all pairs of integers (x,y) such that 1+x2y=x2+2xy+2x+y\displaystyle 1+x^2y=x^2+2xy+2x+y

Problem 309*/**/***

Find the volume of the region of points (x,y,z) such that (x2+y2+z2+8)236(x2+y2)\displaystyle (x^2+y^2+z^2+8)^2 \le 36(x^2+y^2)

Time to see who has been paying attention to this thread (if you have been you will do this in minutes)! This one is a 'problem 4' from Putnam:

Problem 310

Evaluate m=1n=1m2n3m(n3m+m3n)\displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{m^2 n}{3^m (n 3^m + m 3^n)}

Some easier ones. Please do not post a solution if they do not interest/challenge you - though whilst they are mostly easier than those above, they are still by no means 'trivial' or 'easy' and would still be considered difficult by the standards of numerous institutions/exams. Also, do not be discouraged if you cannot do them as problem-solving takes practice and is certainly something that has to be learnt in almost all cases:

Problem 311*/**/*** (the one-* solution does exist and is not hard to find - please don't moan on about it!)

Let x0=0x_0=0, x1=1x_1=1 and xn+1=1n+1xn+(11n+1)xn1\displaystyle x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{n+1} x_n + \left(1-\frac{1}{n+1} \right) x_{n-1} for n1n \ge 1.

Show that the sequence {xn}\{ x_n \} convergences as nn \to \infty and determine its limit.

Problem 312*

Evaluate 4421+42441+44481+484161+\displaystyle \frac{4}{4^2-1}+\frac{4^2}{4^4-1}+\frac{4^4}{4^8-1}+\frac{4^8}{4^{16}-1}+\cdots

Problem 313*

Find all real values of x,y and z such that (x+1)yz=12, (y+1)zx=4, (z+1)xy=4\displaystyle (x+1)yz=12, \ (y+1)zx=4, \ (z+1)xy=4

[As a bonus, can you solve the problem with a more general set of constraints?]

Problem 314*

Find all positive integers n such that n+2012n+2012 divides n2+2012n^2+2012 and n+2013n+2013 divides n2+2013n^2+2013.

This is the kind of problem you could find really easy or rather difficult:

Problem 315**/***

Determine, with proof, whether the series n=11n2+cos(2πlnn)\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^{2+\cos (2 \pi \ln n)}} converges.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn

Ah good! :tongue:

Spoiler

Had a go at the awesome sequence question yet? I have the feeling it is the kind of problem you would demolish (so long as you have the proper toolbox of techniques at your disposal)! :biggrin:

OK, I won't. :wink:
Is that problem 161? Looks like a mess, but I might take a punt, right now I'm having a go at some of the others that you just posted :smile:

Original post by Jkn

Problem 306

Find all solutions in non-negative integers a,b to a+b=2009\displaystyle \sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{2009}

[As a bonus, why not generalise this in the obvious way? Giving all solutions a,b,c dependent on either c having a certain property or c simply being any integer]

Solution 306:
Note that:
2009=7×287=72×41[br]a+b=7412009=7 \times 287 =7^2 \times 41[br]\Rightarrow \sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=7\sqrt{41}
The obvious solutions are therefore:
a=k41a=41k2[br]b=(7k)41b=41(7k)2\sqrt{a}=k\sqrt{41} \Rightarrow a=41k^2[br]\sqrt{b}=(7-k)\sqrt{41} \Rightarrow b=41(7-k)^2
k{0,1,...,7}k \in \{0,1, . . . ,7\}
To demonstrate that these are the only solutions with the given restrictions, consider:
a+b=2009[br]a+b+2ab=2009[br](a+b2009)2=4ab[br]a2+2ab+b2+200924018(a+b)=4ab[br]a22ab+b2+200924018a4108b=0[br]a22(b+2009)a+(b2009)2=0\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{2009}[br]\Leftrightarrow a+b+2\sqrt{ab}=2009[br]\Leftrightarrow (a+b-2009)^2=4ab[br]\Rightarrow a^2+2ab+b^2+2009^2-4018(a+b)=4ab[br]\Rightarrow a^2-2ab+b^2+2009^2-4018a-4108b=0[br]\Rightarrow a^2-2(b+2009)a+(b-2009)^2=0
Solving for a:
a=2(b+2009)±4(b+2009)24(b2009)22=b+2009±4×2009ba=\dfrac{2(b+2009) \pm \sqrt{4(b+2009)^2-4(b-2009)^2}}{2}=b+2009 \pm \sqrt{4 \times 2009 b}
Observing that: 0a,b20090 \leq a,b \leq 2009
a=b+20091441b\Rightarrow a=b+2009-14\sqrt{41b}
For this to be an integer, observe that 41bZ+\sqrt{41b} \in \mathbb{Z^+} must hold.
Therefore: b=41n2b=41n^2 for some integer n (n7)(n \leq 7)
Now we can solve similarly for b and state that:
a=41m2a=41m^2 for some integer m (m7)(m \leq 7)
So we find that: a,b\sqrt{a},\sqrt{b} are of the form c41c\sqrt{41}
Whereby the previously found solutions are the only solutions.

Consider the general case:
a+b=c\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{c}
If c=p2qc=p^2q for some integers pp and qq
a+b=pq\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=p\sqrt{q}
Using the same method as above we can deduce that:
Such that:
a=k2qa=k^2q
b=(pk)2qb=(p-k)^2q
k{0,1...,p}k \in \{0,1 . . . ,p\}
If cc is not of the above form then for integer solutions either a=0, b=ca=0 , \ b=c or a=c, b=0a=c, \ b=0
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
OK, I won't. :wink:
Is that problem 161? Looks like a mess, but I might take a punt, right now I'm having a go at some of the others that you just posted :smile:

Solution 306:

Damn, you got there before me - it generalises in the obvious way, of course, if you just replace c with p^2 q, but I can't be bothered to look at p^2 q r, etc :P
Original post by FireGarden
Problem 301**

Prove, given a,c>0;  acbd0 a,c > 0;\ \ ac-bd\not=0

arctan(ad+bcacbd)=arctan(ba)+arctan(dc) \arctan\left(\dfrac{ad+bc}{ac-bd}\right) = \arctan\left(\dfrac{b}{a}\right) + \arctan\left(\dfrac{d}{c}\right)

This is pretty much a standard a level question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn, you got there before me - it generalises in the obvious way, of course, if you just replace c with p^2 q, but I can't be bothered to look at p^2 q r, etc :P

Ninja-ed :ninja:
Yeah, you can do the generalisation, I don't really know what he's after.
Unless he wanted: a+b=pq\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=p\sqrt{q}
In which case:
a=cq[br]b=(pc)q[br]c{0,1,...,p}\sqrt{a}=c\sqrt{q}[br]\sqrt{b}=(p-c)\sqrt{q}[br]c \in \{0,1, . . . ,p \}
which I suspect can be shown after a bit of algebra. :tongue:
Original post by Jkn
Yeah but I get that horrible sick feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I see incorrect mathematical reasoning - it reminds me of every Physics lesson I've ever been in! :frown:

Also, showing that it is greater than 2 does not prove that it is indeterminate. We need to theorems that rely on it having been established that a limit exists and so all that needs to be done is to show that the utilization of such theorems can lead to more than one value for 11^{\infty} (a contradiction).

Also, they have not even proven that a solution greater than 2 exists as they are supposing that
limn(f(n))n=(limnf(n))limnn\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( f(n) \right)^n = \left( \lim_{n \to \infty} f(n) \right)^{\lim_{n \to \infty} n}
which, even if the final limit exists, is invalid as limnn\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} n does not exists and so the rule cannot be applied. :tongue:

1=limx1x=1[br][br]1=limx(1+1x)x=e[br][br]1e    11 1^{\infty} = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty}1^{x} = 1 [br][br]1^{\infty} = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\dfrac{1}{x} \right)^{x} = e[br][br]1\not=e \implies 1^{\infty} \not= 1^{\infty}

So 1 1^{\infty} is an indeterminate form. I don't know why you think you need to prove the limit exists; that's contradictory to it being an indeterminate form in the first place. You do need to show that the limits exist of the functions that you use to make a contradiction about the value, which we shan't bother doing since one's trivial (constant function) and the others a standard result. We did not suppose your second paragraph, either :s-smilie:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Ninja-ed :ninja:
Yeah, you can do the generalisation, I don't really know what he's after.
Unless he wanted: a+b=pq\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=p\sqrt{q}
In which case:
a=cq[br]b=(pc)q[br]c{0,1,...,p}\sqrt{a}=c\sqrt{q}[br]\sqrt{b}=(p-c)\sqrt{q}[br]c \in \{0,1, . . . ,p \}
which I suspect can be shown after a bit of algebra. :tongue:

Yup, it's the same algebra, too :smile:
Yup, it's the same algebra, too :smile:

Okey dokey, I edited it in minus the algebra :laugh:
Original post by Jkn

Here's my "progress post", updated as I solve the question :smile:

k=1 case: I used Mathematica to get a couple of hundred iterations, I just couldn't intuit the limit… then it was easy enough to show by induction that bnan2n>2b_n \equiv \dfrac{a_n^2}{n} > 2 always, after getting a recurrence relation for bnb_n. Also shown previously that bnb_n is strictly decreasing. Now I just need to show that 2 is indeed the limit.
Reply 2119
[QUOTE="Jkn;43834765"]g

Problem 307

Find the minimum possible value of x2+y2\displaystyle x^2+y^2 where x,y are real numbers such that xy(x2y2)=x2+y2\displaystyle xy(x^2-y^2)=x^2+y^2 and x0x \not= 0.
+y^2)

Problem 310

Evaluate m=1n=1m2n3m(n3m+m3n)\displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{m^2 n}{3^m (n 3^m + m 3^n)}

Solution 307

Let x=rsinθ,y=rcosθ x= r \sin {\theta}, y = r \cos {\theta} . Then, r2=x2+y2 r^2 = x^2 + y^2 .

Now, we have to minimize r2 r^2 , essentially.

xy(x2y2)=12r4sin2θcos2θ=x2+y2=r2[br][br]r2sin2θcos2θ=2[br][br]r2sin4θ=4[br][br]r2=4sin4θ[br][br]min(x2+y2)=4[br] xy(x^2-y^2) = \frac{1}{2} r^4 \sin {2 \theta} \cos {2 \theta} = x^2 + y^2 = r^2[br][br]\Rightarrow r^2 \sin {2 \theta} \cos {2 \theta} = 2[br][br]\Rightarrow r^2 \sin {4 \theta} = 4[br][br]\Rightarrow r^2 = \frac{4}{\sin {4 \theta}}[br][br]\Rightarrow min(x^2+y^2) = 4[br]

Solution 310

m=1n=1m2n3m(n3m+m3n)=12m=1n=1(m2n3m(n3m+m3n)+n2m3n(n3m+m3n))[br][br]=12m=1n=1(m2n(3nm)+n2m(3mn)3m+n(n3m+m3n))[br][br]=12m=1n=1(mn3m+n)[br][br]=12(m=1m3m)2[br][br] \displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{m^2 n}{3^m (n 3^m + m3^n)} = \frac{1}{2} \displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{m^2 n}{3^m (n 3^m + m3^n)} + \frac{n^2 m}{3^n (n 3^m + m3^n)} \right)[br][br]\Rightarrow = \frac{1}{2} \displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{m^2 n(3^n m)+ n^2 m (3^m n)}{3^{m+n} (n 3^m + m3^n)} \right)[br][br]\Rightarrow = \frac{1}{2} \displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{mn}{3^{m+n}}\right)[br][br]\Rightarrow = \frac{1}{2} \left( \displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{m}{3^m} \right)^2[br][br]

Now, note that:

1(1x)2=i=1ixi1[br][br]x(1x)2=i=1ixi[br][br]13(23)2=m=1m3m[br][br]m=1n=1m2n3m(n3m+m3n)=12(13(23)2)2=98[br][br] \displaystyle \frac{1}{(1-x)^2} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} i x^{i-1}[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle \frac{x}{(1-x)^2} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} i x^i[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle \frac{\frac{1}{3}}{(\frac{2}{3})^2} = \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{m}{3^m}[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{m^2 n}{3^m (n 3^m + m3^n)} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \displaystyle \frac{\frac{1}{3}}{(\frac{2}{3})^2} \right)^2 = \frac{9}{8}[br][br]
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest