The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4720
Original post by Kelani
Is it just me who thinks Torres looks stronger and attacks with more aggression?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that torres looks like he knows he's going to be on the bench if he doesn't buck up...
Was away on holiday so missed the last two games :frown:

When's the Real game UK time?
Is Lamps going to be starting most matches? Or do you think he'll be saved for big occasions?

Don't know whether he's worth putting in my fantasy football team or not :holmes:
Original post by hash007
Is Lamps going to be starting most matches? Or do you think he'll be saved for big occasions?

Don't know whether he's worth putting in my fantasy football team or not :holmes:

Really hard to tell, I think. Mourinho will no doubt treat him better than Benitez did, but each year he grows older and it's harder to tell how he'll be used by each manager. I'd start him regularly but I, of course, am not Mourinho.
Reply 4724
Why don't we buy Suarez instead of Rooney?
Original post by Yawn-er

Rooney is more versatile imo he can easily play across the front 3 if Hazard, Mata or Moses is injured or the game needs changing.

Rooney is more physical as in he's not afraid to make strong tackles and hench out opponents.

Rooney has greater technical ability than Suarez imo, so if Rooney is anywhere across the front 3 he can use his creativity and technical ability to be just as effective as Mata. If Chelsea did sign Rooney he would be the best striker there.
Reply 4726
Original post by Yawn-er

No need, he's someone I would buy in january though. Remember that suarez is a good target for january.
Rooney's stronger, better finisher, less troublesome on the field and works best for our style of play. RVP would have been the best option for our club but obviously we missed out big time.

Also add the fact that we weaken our direct rivals for the title(like bayern did with gotze) hopefully we get him late on so they have little time for a replacement. I have my reservations that we'll get him. I think we'll put in a big bid on deadline day but for now I believe the rooney saga's playing into mourinho's hands. He needs to do a similar thing to man city but he knows he can't as of yet, the circumstances aren't right.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4727
Original post by sevchenko
Rooney is more versatile imo he can easily play across the front 3 if Hazard, Mata or Moses is injured or the game needs changing.

Rooney is more physical as in he's not afraid to make strong tackles and hench out opponents.

Rooney has greater technical ability than Suarez imo, so if Rooney is anywhere across the front 3 he can use his creativity and technical ability to be just as effective as Mata. If Chelsea did sign Rooney he would be the best striker there.

Original post by jam277
No need, he's someone I would buy in january though. Remember that suarez is a good target for january.
Rooney's stronger, better finisher, less troublesome on the field and works best for our style of play. RVP would have been the best option for our club but obviously we missed out big time.

Also add the fact that we weaken our direct rivals for the title(like bayern did with gotze) hopefully we get him late on so they have little time for a replacement. I have my reservations that we'll get him. I think we'll put in a big bid on deadline day but for now I believe the rooney saga's playing into mourinho's hands. He needs to do a similar thing to man city but he knows he can't as of yet, the circumstances aren't right.

Suarez is the fitter player, doesn't disappear in matches, and drifts past players with ease. In the tight/compact spaces that our players have to deal with virtually every match, he'd open things up a lot better than Rooney would. And he's younger.

But yeah, Suarez is definitely more troublesome, and Rooney is a player who'd thrive under Mourinho.

We'd have too many strikers in any case.
Reply 4728
Jesus, Suarez is one player I never ever want to see wearing a Chelsea kit. Talented as a mother****er, but still a mother****er.
Original post by Yawn-er
Suarez is the fitter player, doesn't disappear in matches, and drifts past players with ease. In the tight/compact spaces that our players have to deal with virtually every match, he'd open things up a lot better than Rooney would. And he's younger.

But yeah, Suarez is definitely more troublesome, and Rooney is a player who'd thrive under Mourinho.

We'd have too many strikers in any case.

I completely dismiss the idea that Rooney is/was ever unfit. SAF had been trying to reduce Utd's reliance on Rooney since 2010 hence we haven't seen the best of him in recent seasons. Mou will give him what he wants and we will see the best of him at Chelsea if he does move.
Could've taken a risk and gone for Bony if we wanted a striker tbh. But Rooney would be great
Reply 4731
Original post by The Assassin
Could've taken a risk and gone for Bony if we wanted a striker tbh. But Rooney would be great

Tbh with lukaku there's no point for bony. While I have no doubt he'll be a hit he's no the one for us right now. Same with the guys saying we should get benteke(who's fallen out of the media spotlight lately for some reason)
Original post by jam277
Tbh with lukaku there's no point for bony. While I have no doubt he'll be a hit he's no the one for us right now. Same with the guys saying we should get benteke(who's fallen out of the media spotlight lately for some reason)

Benteke said he would stay :tongue:

I think Rooney would be a super signing for you lot. Hell you may as well go for Suarez I think Liverpool would rather sell to you then Arsenal.

Kinda curious how Mourinho is gonna set up the team. Hear whispers that Sami Khedira could be Mourinho target. Thoughts?
Reply 4733
I have stupidly high expectations this season, I don't know why, but I feel we may not live up to it. However I do think the league is ours for the taking.

One more thing, our midfield is so OP, just watched some highlights from the friendlies that I missed, we are playing terrifically.
Original post by jam277

Perhaps, yes, they are similar in a sense but if we wanted a prolific goal scorer (31 goals in 29 appearances is pretty damn good even if it is the dutch league), then for just 12m he could've been an option. I think he's 25 as well so it's not exactly if still in development compared to Lukaku.

I wonder if Ibra will be happy about Cavani there. Even though he's 31 I still wouldn't mind going for him if the Rooney deal didn't work out. He's not exactly a long term solution but neither is Rooney tbf.

I wonder if Ibra will be happy about Cavani there. Even though he's 31 I still wouldn't mind going for him if the Rooney deal didn't work out. He's not exactly a long term solution but neither is Rooney tbf.

Imagine some of the press conferences with Mourinho and Ibrahimovic :coma:
Reply 4736
Original post by Malevolent
Benteke said he would stay :tongue:

I think Rooney would be a super signing for you lot. Hell you may as well go for Suarez I think Liverpool would rather sell to you then Arsenal.

Kinda curious how Mourinho is gonna set up the team. Hear whispers that Sami Khedira could be Mourinho target. Thoughts?

Suarez is a scumbag, our club is ridden with men that lack integrity, no need to get another player who just makes our club more hated, plus he physically assaulted one of our players which pretty much puts that out of the question. Would rather go for rooney, while he's been annoying he has right to be unhappy, he's not playing in his preferred position and was being benched for big games.

From the preseason friendlies I see our team set up as a hybrid, somewhat like bayern munich over real madrid, I think he'll learn his lessons from a counter attacking game as people used to sit deep against real and it became really hard to break the other team down. So I think it'll be a more balanced game especially considering our players seem to suit both styles.

What you will see is us playing on the counter when terry plays, due to our deeper line when he plays and us playing a possession game when luiz and cahill play due to their pace and ball playing ability... I can say one thing for sure and it's that we'll be pretty exciting to watch this season. Expect us to be dominating opposition for most games.

Just hoping we can get a good run going and avoid losing to united early on.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Malevolent
Imagine some of the press conferences with Mourinho and Ibrahimovic :coma:

Just unimaginable :coma:

Tbf Ibra is a **** too but I'd rather have him than Suarez.
Just unimaginable :coma:

Tbf Ibra is a **** too but I'd rather have him than Suarez.

Ibra is a **** but hes not to the absolute scum bag level of Suarez :laugh:
Reply 4739
If you could sign one striker, who would it be for chelsea? (vaguely realistically)

Personally Ibra - Class act, can hold it up and score. Short-term but realistically i can't see a better candidate.

Latest