The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameelia22
Look up the trusts values and vision and if its not one of the first questions they ask, find a way to bulldoze it into an answer, it sounds impressive and shows you've done your research!

Original post by Dr.Ugs
I didn't know of it either lol they told me the answer when I told them I didn't know in my interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all the help guys :biggrin: How long did each of your interviews last?
Reply 701
Original post by Eager Beaver
Thanks for all the help guys :biggrin: How long did each of your interviews last?

Mine was 10 minutes long :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Mine was 10 minutes long :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems daunting, my interview is tomorrow by the way! What did you guys wear? I'm thinking that a suit is too informal...
Reply 703
Seems daunting, my interview is tomorrow by the way! What did you guys wear? I'm thinking that a suit is too informal...

Don't worry about it :smile: you will be fine. I wore smart clothes, blazer, white shirt, black trousers; generally what you would wear at any interview. At first I felt OTT but then I saw other applicants looking extra smart with ties and high heels lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Don't worry about it :smile: you will be fine. I wore smart clothes, blazer, white shirt, black trousers; generally what you would wear at any interview. At first I felt OTT but then I saw other applicants looking extra smart with ties and high heels lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wore something similar this morning. And thanks for all your help! At the end of the interview I was told that I secured the job, so happy :biggrin:!!! Hopefully all the experience this job gives me will put me in good stead for the next cycle.
Hows everything going job-wise with you? Did you also get a HCA post?
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I'm a reapplicant taking a gap year and yourself?

Well of the NHS website where it says "supporting information" you enter your personal statement; I make mine tailored towards the person specification that they provide in the advert so I tick all the boxes. Just apply for all the jobs with a salary up to £20k; that's how I found a lab assistant post :smile:

Just keep applying you will get some interviews :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, I'm a gap year reapplicant too.
Thanks a lot for the help, i'll do what you said. I applied to loads of HCA jobs on the directgov website yesterday as well. Hopefully, i'll get one soon.
Reply 706
Original post by mubashir9995
Yup, I'm a gap year reapplicant too.
Thanks a lot for the help, i'll do what you said. I applied to loads of HCA jobs on the directgov website yesterday as well. Hopefully, i'll get one soon.

Best of luck :smile: have you done your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 707
I wore something similar this morning. And thanks for all your help! At the end of the interview I was told that I secured the job, so happy :biggrin:!!! Hopefully all the experience this job gives me will put me in good stead for the next cycle.
Hows everything going job-wise with you? Did you also get a HCA post?

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the job and its a fantastic experience to mention. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a HCA job, hardly any to apply for in Manchester. But I have three interviews coming up; ward clerk, decontamination assistant and medical lab assistant. I'm hoping to secure the lab assistant one was you get more money and it seems more scientific as I get to do blood tests and stuff :smile: haha

Have you done your UKCAT?

How you feeling about results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Best of luck :smile: have you done your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks and no, I have got it in september! What about you?
Also, i cant find the 'more information' section on the NHS website, the one you were talking about before. Could you tell where it is specifically, or send me a link?
Reply 709
Original post by mubashir9995
Thanks and no, I have got it in september! What about you?
Also, i cant find the 'more information' section on the NHS website, the one you were talking about before. Could you tell where it is specifically, or send me a link?

I don't think you will be able to acces the link if not logged in to my account. Here is a screen shot.

When you click on apply now and tick the declaration box you will see multicoloured headings and the one saying "additional information" iswhere you enter the PS. :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1375835575.301488.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 710
Anyone else postponing ALL medicine plans such as UKCAT, personal statement, looking for job...till after results day?

I just have this crippling fear that I wouldn't get 3 A's and I can't bear to make any blind preparations...

How do you guys do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 711
Original post by SuziieB
Anyone else postponing ALL medicine plans such as UKCAT, personal statement, looking for job...till after results day?

I just have this crippling fear that I wouldn't get 3 A's and I can't bear to make any blind preparations...

How do you guys do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have postponed all of the mentioned apart from finding a job as that takes the longest. I know what you mean, I haven't even started preparing for my UKCAT nor wrote even a plan for my PS coz I feel I won't be able to apply after that AQA chem5 exam; I think I will get AAB :frown: but don't worry!!! There are unis that will accept resitters so everything is not doomed :smile:

I would highly recommend applying for jobs now as it can take a while. I have been applying since may (3 a week) and have not got one yet. Now I apply for more as I have more time. I suggest you do the same as UCAS deadline may pass and you won't have a job to state for your PS. NHS website is the place to be right now :smile:

Welcome to the club btw :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I have postponed all of the mentioned apart from finding a job as that takes the longest. I know what you mean, I haven't even started preparing for my UKCAT nor wrote even a plan for my PS coz I feel I won't be able to apply after that AQA chem5 exam; I think I will get AAB :frown: but don't worry!!! There are unis that will accept resitters so everything is not doomed :smile:

I would highly recommend applying for jobs now as it can take a while. I have been applying since may (3 a week) and have not got one yet. Now I apply for more as I have more time. I suggest you do the same as UCAS deadline may pass and you won't have a job to state for your PS. NHS website is the place to be right now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to interrupt the conversation :P
But do you know which unis accept resitters? Scared I might get AAB too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the job and its a fantastic experience to mention. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a HCA job, hardly any to apply for in Manchester. But I have three interviews coming up; ward clerk, decontamination assistant and medical lab assistant. I'm hoping to secure the lab assistant one was you get more money and it seems more scientific as I get to do blood tests and stuff :smile: haha

Have you done your UKCAT?

How you feeling about results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :biggrin:. Ahh, there are hardly any HCA posts in my area too - I was just lucky to get the first job I applied for. And no my UKCAT is next month, I guess that's the next hurdle! As for results day, I just can't tell, the day could go either way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 714
Original post by annaridgway95
Sorry to interrupt the conversation :P
But do you know which unis accept resitters? Scared I might get AAB too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are not alone :smile: check the "medicine resit success stories" thread, I have listed all the unis that will consider you in there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 715
Thank you :biggrin:. Ahh, there are hardly any HCA posts in my area too - I was just lucky to get the first job I applied for. And no my UKCAT is next month, I guess that's the next hurdle! As for results day, I just can't tell, the day could go either way.

Very lucky indeed :smile: I got another interview for a job as a phlebotomist. Hoping to secure it :smile:

When do you start work?

How are you preparing for your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 716
Original post by Dr.Ugs

Posted from TSR Mobile

That AQA chem5 exam is my exact fear as well. If not for it, I would have been much more confident about starting preparations. Here's hoping for low grade boundaries...

Which unis accept resitter's? Omg didn't know they existed...!! Also, how would I go about resitting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 717
What kinda jobs are you guys applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 718
Original post by SuziieB
What kinda jobs are you guys applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anything with a salary up to £20,000. E.g. All assistant type jobs, HCA, phlebotomist, clerks etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 719
Original post by SuziieB

That AQA chem5 exam is my exact fear as well. If not for it, I would have been much more confident about starting preparations. Here's hoping for low grade boundaries...

Which unis accept resitter's? Omg didn't know they existed...!! Also, how would I go about resitting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was just me :frown: people in my class were really happy after the chem exam and I just wanted to cry :frown: what do you need to get an A? I need a high B in that exam which seems impossible

UEA, Liverpool, Lancaster, Brighton :smile: we have 4 right there!!! But that's it :frown: others only consider resitters if they have mitigating circumstances.

Well you will have to book the exam as a private candidate at AQA test centres in your area. You can find a list of such centres on the AQA website. Email them to ask if you can sit exams there. It will cost you though, more than the usual resit fee because you have to pay for invigualators too :\

HOWEVER, there is also a plan B, some universities don't mind if you have not done chemistry as an A level so we could take on maths or physics (very expensive though) and apply to those unis.

What's your plan if things go badly on results day? I have prepared my self for the AAB situation so I don't break down on results day lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending