The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BethaneyJ
They don't really. They may use it to choose between two extremely similar candidates but they don't use it any other way.

Oh okay that's good! :smile: Just sat my UKCAT today and got an average of 582.5 and a total of 2330. I just hope this is good enough for the bm6 :/
Original post by bm_sewell
Oh okay that's good! :smile: Just sat my UKCAT today and got an average of 582.5 and a total of 2330. I just hope this is good enough for the bm6 :/

Like I said, they don't use it so it is fine. They would only use it if they had 2 identical applicants that they just couldn't choose between, which rarely ever happens.
Reply 42
Hi
On the site it says 'A level grades BBC including chemistry and biology' Does this mean predicted grades? When they look at our application?
Say I got a D in Chemistry AS and was predicted a C A2 could I still apply?
Reply 43
The University of Southampton does not consider AS-Level grades. As such, you are eligible to apply as long as you achieve at least BBC at full A-Level. You must also satisfy the GCSE requirements.
Reply 44
I want to apply for this course but I need to be 100% sure that it doesnt show that you have taken a foundation year.
Original post by AhmedDavid
I want to apply for this course but I need to be 100% sure that it doesnt show that you have taken a foundation year.

Why?
Reply 46
Why?

I just wouldnt like that as although I fit 4/5 of the criteria I am achieving good grades and I have a high UKCAT score and could compete against other medics but then there is still a chance that I might not get in where as on the 6year course at Southampton I will definitely get in.

& Beth since you're already on this course could you please find out for me
I just wouldnt like that as although I fit 4/5 of the criteria I am achieving good grades and I have a high UKCAT score and could compete against other medics but then there is still a chance that I might not get in where as on the 6year course at Southampton I will definitely get in.

& Beth since you're already on this course could you please find out for me

This course is highly competitive and there are a lot more applicants per place compared to 5 year programmes so I wouldn't say it was a definite.

I still don't understand why you need it to not show you did a foundation year? Do you mean on your degree when you finish university?
Reply 48
Original post by Superboy
The University of Southampton does not consider AS-Level grades. As such, you are eligible to apply as long as you achieve at least BBC at full A-Level. You must also satisfy the GCSE requirements.

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
This course is highly competitive and there are a lot more applicants per place compared to 5 year programmes so I wouldn't say it was a definite.

I still don't understand why you need it to not show you did a foundation year? Do you mean on your degree when you finish university?

Yeah I mean on your degree certificate when you finish university
Yeah I mean on your degree certificate when you finish university

Why does it matter if it is on there? It makes no difference at all to your degree. :nah:
Reply 51
Why does it matter if it is on there? It makes no difference at all to your degree. :nah:

Doesn't it?

A lot of people told me that it did make a difference including my Mum and I know employers are not meant to discriminate against it but some just do.
Doesn't it?

A lot of people told me that it did make a difference including my Mum and I know employers are not meant to discriminate against it but some just do.

Who is your mum? We get the exact same classification and degree as the rest of the school as you simply go on to join BM5. Even if it does say that you were a BM6 student your degree is exactly the same.

There is nothing to discriminate against. It's like them checking which college you went to. It doesn't matter.
Reply 53
BethaneyJ is correct. Once you have satisfactorily completed Year 0, you move to the BM5 program. Your degree will not have any information suggesting that you took a foundation year.

Regardless, it wouldn't make a difference. I don't know which employers you are talking about; the NHS and the GMC? They couldn't care less which medical school/program you attended, as long as it is fully accredited (which all British medical schools are).
Reply 54
where as on the 6year course at Southampton I will definitely get in.

Someone is so confident!!!:lolwut:
Reply 55
Who is your mum? We get the exact same classification and degree as the rest of the school as you simply go on to join BM5. Even if it does say that you were a BM6 student your degree is exactly the same.

There is nothing to discriminate against. It's like them checking which college you went to. It doesn't matter.

Well Thank you for clearing this up for me much appreciated :smile:

[QUOTE="TNTTAZ;43842178"]
where as on the 6year course at Southampton I will definitely get in.

Someone is so confident!!!:lolwut:

Lol nah Im not Im just saying Im a reasonable candidate to get into a normal medicine course so that should mean that I have more chance with applying for one with a foundation year :dontknow:
Well Thank you for clearing this up for me much appreciated :smile:
Lol nah Im not Im just saying Im a reasonable candidate to get into a normal medicine course so that should mean that I have more chance with applying for one with a foundation year :dontknow:

Not necessarily and it is not uncommon to be asked why you're applying to a foundation year if you would be successful elsewhere. They will also not take any notice of your predicted grades after meeting eligibility as it is about a lot more than that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
AhmedDavid, do you realize that having predictions of A*A*A* opposed to those of BBC won't give you any advantage AT ALL? This whole course is designed for students struggling due to extenuating circumstances. Once you meet the minimum criteria, you will be assessed on your desire to become a doctor ONLY. That is, how much work experience, volunteering you have, etc.

If you didn't know, competition for this course is more intense than that of any other medicine course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Not necessarily and it is not uncommon to be asked why you're applying to a foundation year if you would be successful elsewhere. They will also not take any notice of your predicted grades after meeting eligibility as it is about a lot more than that.

Original post by Superboy
AhmedDavid, do you realize that having predictions of A*A*A* opposed to those of BBC won't give you any advantage AT ALL? This whole course is designed for students struggling due to extenuating circumstances. Once you meet the minimum criteria, you will be assessed on your desire to become a doctor ONLY. That is, how much work experience, volunteering you have, etc.

If you didn't know, competition for this course is more intense than that of any other medicine course.

I am aware that it is not of academic requirements alone. Like I said I meet 4 out of 5 of the criterias and although my predictions are high and grades attained are high I am eager to be a Doctor, highly motivated and emphatic.

I have enough work experience and my persona shines Doctor but although they don't take into consideraion academic capability because I meet 4 out of 5 of the criteria they will be more inclined to give me an offer as long as I show that I am fit to be a Doctor
I am aware that it is not of academic requirements alone. Like I said I meet 4 out of 5 of the criterias and although my predictions are high and grades attained are high I am eager to be a Doctor, highly motivated and emphatic.

I have enough work experience and my persona shines Doctor but although they don't take into consideraion academic capability because I meet 4 out of 5 of the criteria they will be more inclined to give me an offer as long as I show that I am fit to be a Doctor

4/5 of the financial/social criteria? Even this isn't going to give you a boost. It will all be based on personal statement and interview as long as you meet all requirements.

It is nice to be confident you have a chance but remember that there are only 30 places and a LOT of applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending