The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by SuziieB

That AQA chem5 exam is my exact fear as well. If not for it, I would have been much more confident about starting preparations. Here's hoping for low grade boundaries...

Which unis accept resitter's? Omg didn't know they existed...!! Also, how would I go about resitting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG sorry, totally forgot to mention Plymouth and Exeter which also consider resitters!!!!! :smile: :smile::smile: :smile:

So we have 6 to choose from. And I have emailed each one of them so it's confirmed for 2014 entry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 721
Original post by Dr.Ugs
OMG sorry, totally forgot to mention Plymouth and Exeter which also consider resitters!!!!! :smile: :smile::smile: :smile:

So we have 6 to choose from. And I have emailed each one of them so it's confirmed for 2014 entry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG, Exeter considers resitters??!! Was planning on applying there!

Thanks so much for emailing them already, didn't even think of that...

So, we resit the chemistry exam and reapply next year in 2015? Or do we carry on with our application this year for 2014?
Reply 722
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I thought it was just me :frown: people in my class were really happy after the chem exam and I just wanted to cry :frown: what do you need to get an A? I need a high B in that exam which seems impossible

UEA, Liverpool, Lancaster, Brighton :smile: we have 4 right there!!! But that's it :frown: others only consider resitters if they have mitigating circumstances.

Well you will have to book the exam as a private candidate at AQA test centres in your area. You can find a list of such centres on the AQA website. Email them to ask if you can sit exams there. It will cost you though, more than the usual resit fee because you have to pay for invigualators too :\

HOWEVER, there is also a plan B, some universities don't mind if you have not done chemistry as an A level so we could take on maths or physics (very expensive though) and apply to those unis.

What's your plan if things go badly on results day? I have prepared my self for the AAB situation so I don't break down on results day lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry about that, I need a C to get an A overall but after leaving the exam, I realised that I got almost half of the questions wrong! Especially after seeing the unofficial mark scheme on TSR. All my mocks and practice papers were much better...

So I still have a fighting chance to apply, I'm so happy!! If you get AAB, would you be applying this year?
Reply 723
Original post by SuziieB
OMG, Exeter considers resitters??!! Was planning on applying there!

Thanks so much for emailing them already, didn't even think of that...

So, we resit the chemistry exam and reapply next year in 2015? Or do we carry on with our application this year for 2014?

No problem :smile: yeah I was surprised to find they do. After that chem5 exam I just know I will be resitting it :frown:

We get predicted A* or A to be considered. We apply for 2014 entry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to all you re-applicants, I remember how stressful it was when I re-applied but there is certainly a greater chance of getting in with already achieved A levels :yep:
Reply 725
Original post by Dr.Ugs
No problem :smile: yeah I was surprised to find they do. After that chem5 exam I just know I will be resitting it :frown:

We get predicted A* or A to be considered. We apply for 2014 entry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We get predicted for only one subject? Does our sixth form predict us?
Reply 726
Original post by Blackshadow
Good luck to all you re-applicants, I remember how stressful it was when I re-applied but there is certainly a greater chance of getting in with already achieved A levels :yep:

Thank you :smile:

How was your time reapplying? Where will you be studying now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 727
Original post by SuziieB
We get predicted for only one subject? Does our sixth form predict us?

Yep our ex-sixth form lol they also write our reference :smile:
Is chemistry the only subject your worried about? What do you need to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 728
Original post by SuziieB
So sorry about that, I need a C to get an A overall but after leaving the exam, I realised that I got almost half of the questions wrong! Especially after seeing the unofficial mark scheme on TSR. All my mocks and practice papers were much better...

So I still have a fighting chance to apply, I'm so happy!! If you get AAB, would you be applying this year?

You will definitely get a C! Don't worry you don't need to think about resitting. You will be fine I'm sure :smile:

Yeah I would apply :smile: and you? Where would you apply (of the 6 we can apply to if AAB is what we have)?

There are also universities that have adjusted criteria (e.g. St George's require minimum BBCc if your grades are 60% above the average of your college and Southampton have a widening access 6 year course for students from disadvantaged backgrounds)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 729
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Yep our ex-sixth form lol they also write our reference :smile:
Is chemistry the only subject your worried about? What do you need to get an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I've got my calculations correctly, I think I need 75 UMS. Now that I think about it, I'm also worried about OCR biology but I don't remember it being close to as horrendous as the chem exam. A lot of people felt that as well, so I'm hoping for low grade boundaries...

Not worried at all about maths as I aimed for an A* anyway which I'm not sure I can get after our June exam so unless I get like an E, I've got at least one A lol..
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Thank you :smile:

How was your time reapplying? Where will you be studying now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was brilliant. I managed to do a bit of travelling, work, volunteering and got some more work experience too.

I'm starting second year at Cardif in September :smile:
Reply 731
Original post by SuziieB
If I've got my calculations correctly, I think I need 75 UMS. Now that I think about it, I'm also worried about OCR biology but I don't remember it being close to as horrendous as the chem exam. A lot of people felt that as well, so I'm hoping for low grade boundaries...

Not worried at all about maths as I aimed for an A* anyway which I'm not sure I can get after our June exam so unless I get like an E, I've got at least one A lol..

I need 90 UMS :frown: hopefully the grade boundaries will be super low!!!

I hope you get the grades. I'm sure you will. I did AQA biology which was horrendous lol but I was aiming for an A* in that which is defo not gonna happen, not too worried about bio as I think I may have got the A (hopefully) so same with your maths.

I know that I have done enough to get AAB so hopefully I will get that or above :smile:

Would you be disappointed with an AAB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 732
Original post by Blackshadow
It was brilliant. I managed to do a bit of travelling, work, volunteering and got some more work experience too.

I'm starting second year at Cardif in September :smile:

That's amazing :smile: where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
That's amazing :smile: where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL, B'ham, Leeds and Cardiff.
Reply 734
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I need 90 UMS :frown: hopefully the grade boundaries will be super low!!!

I hope you get the grades. I'm sure you will. I did AQA biology which was horrendous lol but I was aiming for an A* in that which is defo not gonna happen, not too worried about bio as I think I may have got the A (hopefully) so same with your maths.

I know that I have done enough to get AAB so hopefully I will get that or above :smile:

Would you be disappointed with an AAB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would only be disappointed if those grades didn't allow me to apply for medicine. I don't care too much about A levels, if I got AAB but could still apply for medicine or if necessary another course then I would be content actually. After a degree, no one cares about your A levels do they?

So how did you go about applying for jobs, did you give them personally or online?

Also for UKCAT, what resources do you think are best? I'm thinking of using Kaplan this time around because a lot of people recommend it but not sure how effective it is...
Reply 735
Original post by SuziieB
I would only be disappointed if those grades didn't allow me to apply for medicine. I don't care too much about A levels, if I got AAB but could still apply for medicine or if necessary another course then I would be content actually. After a degree, no one cares about your A levels do they?

So how did you go about applying for jobs, did you give them personally or online?

Also for UKCAT, what resources do you think are best? I'm thinking of using Kaplan this time around because a lot of people recommend it but not sure how effective it is...

what uni can you apply to for medicine with abb? :smile:
Reply 736
Original post by jojo1995

Actually don't know, I only just found out that I can apply with AAB. Perhaps email the individual uni's like someone on the thread earlier did.
Reply 737
Original post by SuziieB

Me too tbh. As long as I get a satisfactory AAB I'm content. Well for graduate entry some unis look at A levels to be minimum ABB or something. Not sure though.

Use the NHS website. Search for jobs with a salary up to £20k and make sure you look at the person spec to make your "additional information" (personal statement basically) more strong ( they use that spec to tick the boxes and for interviews)

I'm probably going to do the KAPLAN course. Are you? People have said its good but Not sure if its worth the money. ( it doesn't have a guarantee to support it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 738
Original post by jojo1995

Well for medicine you can apply to;

Liverpool
Lancaster
UEA
Plymouth
Exeter

With ABB but not to Brighton as they want AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 739
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Well for medicine you can apply to;

Liverpool
Lancaster
UEA
Plymouth
Exeter

With ABB but not to Brighton as they want AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SuziieB
Actually don't know, I only just found out that I can apply with AAB. Perhaps email the individual uni's like someone on the thread earlier did.

wow thanks guys ... is there some sort of condition that you have to go to a lower achieving school or something? :smile:
I do go to a state school but its quite highly achieving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending