The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4820
Original post by jam277
Welcome to the chelsea thread, and don't worry we're worried too, it should be a cracker though.

Cheers :smile:

I've been up since 5 this morning and really struggling to stay awake already.

It's going to be good to see what formation Jose starts with. Hoping he plays a Hazard-De Bruyne-Mata- Lukaku front four.

Got a feeling that whoever starts up front will be his first choice this season provided we don't get Rooney. Just gotta hope it's not Ba :colondollar:
Reply 4821
Original post by MarkII
Cheers :smile:

I've been up since 5 this morning and really struggling to stay awake already.

It's going to be good to see what formation Jose starts with. Hoping he plays a Hazard-De Bruyne-Mata- Lukaku front four.

Got a feeling that whoever starts up front will be his first choice this season provided we don't get Rooney. Just gotta hope it's not Ba :colondollar:

Or torres. I think that we haven't seen the best of ba. But I guess torres will suit a counter attacking style(which we seem to have implemented better than last season)

Lukaku seems to be a more complete forward than torres due to his aerial ability and ability to play with his back to goal, while he played on the counter with albion I don't think he'll struggle to adapt to a possession game where he has to spend a lot of time in camped areas.

I agree with your formation. I haven't looked at KDB too much defensively, he's obviously a great passer and that but will he be able to track the runs of isco/ronaldo and double up on them effectively?

I'm not so sure, on the other hand if we use moses or schurlle we may lack the attacking threat we need in compensation for work rate.
Reply 4822
Fair point. But I'd like to see us go all out with this one attacking wise. Yes, it's Real Madrid but we haven't really got too much to lose unless we get absolutely destroyed (which obviously won't happen). I'm excited about the possibilty of Lukaku being the new Drogba, and De Bruyne is such a quality finisher!
Reply 4823
Come on you blues!
Reply 4824
Original post by MarkII
Fair point. But I'd like to see us go all out with this one attacking wise. Yes, it's Real Madrid but we haven't really got too much to lose unless we get absolutely destroyed (which obviously won't happen). I'm excited about the possibilty of Lukaku being the new Drogba, and De Bruyne is such a quality finisher!

Tbf I get why attacking real madrid is a good idea in a friendly. I guess we should just use our strongest 11 if we can regardless of tactics. I think we'll play on the counter though. Real struggled to break down teams with deep lines anyway.

I'm pretty excited about lukaku, shame we didn't keep sturridge as it would have made our striker situation much more desirable.
Reply 4825
Original post by jam277
Tbf I get why attacking real madrid is a good idea in a friendly. I guess we should just use our strongest 11 if we can regardless of tactics. I think we'll play on the counter though. Real struggled to break down teams with deep lines anyway.

I'm pretty excited about lukaku, shame we didn't keep sturridge as it would have made our striker situation much more desirable.

I just hope Lukaku, can work on his first touch and finishing, then we have a really great player, he has the power and pace alongside aerial ability to be a real handful!
Reply 4826
Original post by manty
I just hope Lukaku, can work on his first touch and finishing, then we have a really great player, he has the power and pace alongside aerial ability to be a real handful!

I would say he needs to improve on his first touch, but I think his finishing is pretty beasty already. I guess the guy needs to adapt to our style of play though. Would like him to dribble his way past the opposition though, I don't think he'll be able to do that as of yet but if he had an aguero like balance it would put the cherry on the cake for him.
Reply 4827
is the game at 1.45 guys?! yawn
Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole, Lampard, MvG, Ramires, Hazard, Oscar, Lukaku

Looking like a 4-3-3 then - very solid midfield three. Would have like De Bruyne to start, but then again, I do think Oscar should star every game as well.
Reply 4829
Original post by mhsc
Yeah that's weird. They must be using another way of defining assist or something, because the official premier league website says he got 17 which ties in exactly with what I had remembered from last season. I usually keep quite a close eye on the top goal scorer and top assist charts during the season.

Original post by DaveSmith99
Maybe the PL counts winning a penalty/an assist of the bar/post or whatever as an assist and those sites don't or something similar.
I was looking into Bale's PL assist tally for last season and the PL site, whoscored and transfermarkt all gave different values so I think it's fair to say they all have different criteria. Transfermarkt seemed the most generous of the three and whoscored the least, in Spurs 3-2 victory at OT for instance transfermarkt gave Bale 2 assists, PL site gave him 1 and credited the other to Vertonghen whilst whoscored credited no one.
Reply 4830
Lampard and Van Ginkel to start. Will be interesting to see how Van Ginkel does without The Bison next to him.
Reply 4831
oscar and not KDB, lampard in and not essien, does anyone know why mata hasnt travelled?
Who's playing?
Original post by manty
oscar and not KDB, lampard in and not essien, does anyone know why mata hasnt travelled?

:coma:

Anyone got starting line-ups?
Very bad comments from Jose on Cristiano Ronaldo. Why would he say that Ronaldo is trash indirectly is pretty bad considering he scored 200 goals faster than games played and he wasn't the reason why Real failed last season. Sometimes Jose is idiotic with his comments even if it is mind games with other teams.
Chelsea starting XI (4-3-3):
Petr Cech; Branislav Ivanovic, John Terry, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole; Marco Van Ginkel, Frank Lampard, Ramires; Eden Hazard, Oscar; Romelu Lukaku.

Real Madrid starting XI (4-2-3-1):
Iker Casillas; Alvaro Arbeloa, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo; Sami Khedira, Luka Modric; Isco, Mesui Özil, Cristiano Ronaldo; Karim Benzema.
Reply 4836
Original post by Kenan and Kel
:coma:

Anyone got starting line-ups?

Cech
Brana-Cahill-Terry-Cole

Lampard-Van Ginkel-Ramires

Oscar-Lukaku-Hazard

I think from what i saw*
Oh for ****s sake. 4-3-3 now? This cannot end well.

EDIT: WHY IS OSCAR ON THE FLANKS?
Reply 4838
Jose saying that when he faces real in the CL we'll be ready and they're not a worry for us atm since they're not in the prem.
I think he's not expecting a win or he's being modest.
I think we'll be fired up for the equation.
I like the team but I don't like MvG being restricted in a anchorman role (assuming that's what he's going to play).

Latest