The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Me too. :frown: I didn't even finish one of my essays and I'm almost certain that I left some sentences unfinished in my other ones. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I think my performance in English was below par and I'm aiming for 4 As and a B this year. That means that I can afford to get a B in either English or modern studies, but not both.
I've probably made my marker extremely grumpy... It's so hard to gauge how I've done. For example, I thought I'd absolutely bombed the prelim miserably, but managed to get a high B, and I recall that in the modern studies SG exam last year, I only wrote 2 sentences for one of the 8 mark questions, yet I still got a 1 for KU. Admittedly, that was SG level, but still. I don't want to get my hopes up, however. I don't really feel that I ever "clicked" with higher modern studies, whereas I found history far more straightforward.

Ah ok i see. I am the same although i only did two highers this year in history and modern studies and need 4 Bs minimum over two years to get into the course i want to at university. I am taking two highers next year to get those '4 B's' and also two advanced highers - modern studies and history. I really can't afford to get a low grade, i.e a C in either of them. Also on top of it all i am undertaking the social science baccalaureate next year and that compromises of AH Modern studies and AH History. So overall if i dont get B's in History and Modern studies then my whole 6th year is going to be ruined. Yeah i know what you mean i did something similar at SG and got a 1 for KU. I am praying i get decent grades in August. I also found history much more straightforward than modern studies!
Original post by lala4
Is anybody else extremely worried for their result for modern studies? I have a feeling i have got a C or something ahhh... I really need a B in order to do advanced higher and its stressing me out! Two months wait is too long i want the result now. It has probably already been graded and my bad grade is on some database right now haha..

I too am extremely nervous, keep thinking what I could of written. I need a B also for my university course, so it's not just you lol!
Original post by lala4
Ah ok i see. I am the same although i only did two highers this year in history and modern studies and need 4 Bs minimum over two years to get into the course i want to at university. I am taking two highers next year to get those '4 B's' and also two advanced highers - modern studies and history. I really can't afford to get a low grade, i.e a C in either of them. Also on top of it all i am undertaking the social science baccalaureate next year and that compromises of AH Modern studies and AH History. So overall if i dont get B's in History and Modern studies then my whole 6th year is going to be ruined. Yeah i know what you mean i did something similar at SG and got a 1 for KU. I am praying i get decent grades in August. I also found history much more straightforward than modern studies!

If you get C's in Modern and History this year, you should technically be able to still take them both at AH. The. all you need to get is C's at both of these AH's and they'll pull your Higher C's up to Higher B's!
Reply 1863
Original post by scotland_1
If you get C's in Modern and History this year, you should technically be able to still take them both at AH. The. all you need to get is C's at both of these AH's and they'll pull your Higher C's up to Higher B's!

No, the school said that unless you have B minimum then you shouldnt be able to do the course..
Any of your teachers finished marking yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1865
Thought i would bring back up an old thread haha sorry.. Three weeks on Tuesday till we get our results. Not too sure how i have done to be honest. I need a B but want an A. All shall be revealed in 21 days... really nerve wracking.

Do you think the pass mark may be raised as it wasn't that bad a paper?

I worked out that if i have say a 10, 9, 8 and 11 for my essays... and 22/30 for my DME then thats me got 66% so according to last years grade boundries i have a B only 3 marks off of a low A which is 60 marks.

Good luck everyone:smile:
Original post by scottish19
If anyone needs any notes, give me a shout. Got an A last year. :biggrin: happy to help anyone

Do you have them typed or is it by hand?
Reply 1867
This thread was such a help during my year in modern studies. I would like to say thank you to everybody who helped me out and achieve my A. So happy :biggrin: How did everyone else get on?
Big up the A team. My tutor was well chuffed :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala4
This thread was such a help during my year in modern studies. I would like to say thank you to everybody who helped me out and achieve my A. So happy :biggrin: How did everyone else get on?

Aww very happy for you! :biggrin:

I get too much enjoyment from following the Higher Modern Studies threads each year :lol:
Hope you all got what you wanted! :h:
Reply 1870
Original post by Ecosse_14
Aww very happy for you! :biggrin:

I get too much enjoyment from following the Higher Modern Studies threads each year :lol:
Hope you all got what you wanted! :h:

Thanks you!!

Aha i think i will still be following it next year when i'm doing advanced higher giving out all my tips :wink:. My A was SO unexpected as i was only predicted a C... But either way i am chuffed:smile:
Original post by lala4
Thanks you!!

Aha i think i will still be following it next year when i'm doing advanced higher giving out all my tips :wink:. My A was SO unexpected as i was only predicted a C... But either way i am chuffed:smile:

I sat it a few years ago and I'm still attempting to help and handing out essay plans and stuff :lol: :colondollar: It's just an interesting subject :yep:
Reply 1872
I honestly thought I'd end up with a B but I got the A I had hoped for! So chuffed is anyone doing advanced this year? I can't wait to do it!
Reply 1873
Original post by Lozb
I honestly thought I'd end up with a B but I got the A I had hoped for! So chuffed ������ is anyone doing advanced this year? I can't wait to do it!

I too thought i would end up with a B or C and got an A and i am honestly so happy. I am also doing advanced higher this year:smile: Which study theme are you doing?:smile:
Loved higher modern studies got an A it's so depressing my school aren't doing AH are there any options open to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1875
Original post by danielwoohoo
Loved higher modern studies got an A it's so depressing my school aren't doing AH are there any options open to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could always look at colleges near where you live which might offer the course or maybe take up a subject such as higher sociology is your school runs it?
Quite a few people got an A so might get a wee campaign going to try and get AH on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1877
Original post by lala4
I too thought i would end up with a B or C and got an A and i am honestly so happy. I am also doing advanced higher this year:smile: Which study theme are you doing?:smile:

Me too! Aww I can't wait to start! We're doing Law & Order! What about you?:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1878
Original post by Lozb
Me too! Aww I can't wait to start! We're doing Law & Order! What about you?:smile:

Aw, im the same so excited:smile: working on an essay at the moment. We are also doing law and order - really interesting topic i feel:smile:
Also glad to be doing Law and Order as it's so different from anything we've ever studied before. We might get to visit the prison as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending