The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Octopus_Garden
ein

Dankeschön :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They eat the fish=sie essen den Fisch=elles /ils mangent le poisson
she or he eats the fish= sie/er isst den Fisch=elle/il mange le poisson.

In French, you can't tell how many people are eating the fish out loud! You can in German!

nope, I'm lost :colondollar:
Reply 5302
Original post by Ronove
C1+, how come you're fluent in Danish? :smile:

Edit: Just noticed your location is Copenhagen. Weeeird. :tongue:

Lol I think its because I learned the language, unless an extraterrestrial being popped down and rewired my brain so that I would be fluent in danish. :rolleyes:
whats your story :biggrin:
(male) they eat the fish=ils mangent le poisson
he eats the fish=il mange le poisson
Original post by Molly_xox
nope, I'm lost :colondollar:
That's how French makes me feel, so that's a completely normal reaction!:tongue:

The two French sentences mean something different but sound exactly the same, because -e and -ent endings aren't pronounced...
he eats the fish=il mange le poissonThat's how French makes me feel, so that's a completely normal reaction!:tongue:

The two French sentences mean something different but sound exactly the same, because -e and -ent endings aren't pronounced...

OH, whereas the German endings don't sound the same, got it :smile:
Is anyone interested in attending the polyglot conference in NYC and Montreal October 2014? I don't know the exact dates nor do I know whether I need permission to attend it... Can anyone enlighten me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Molly_xox
Haha, good! I'm not alone :smile: I'm happy with my French and Spanish :lol:

It's not that popular on this thread u knw ^^
There have been a few Dutch learners on this thread but they kind of come and go :tongue: Vionar can write a birthday card
Constantmeowage seems to know Dutch, Ronove knows Danish and German and is familiar with the historic sound shifts which occured in Germanic languages, so she can read it I think :tongue:

Can you understand written Portuguese? :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think I have a clue about Dutch, either.:tongue:

Waarom kan jij geen Nederlands verstaan? :angry:
Als jij Duits spreken kan, is de Nederlandse Taal ook niet zo zwaar! ^^

Translate into German (yourself)? I even capitalised a noun :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Tess sehr gut! Aber es ist "die Mannschaft" :wink:
It appears to have the word "Mann" in it, if the noun had not been feminine one could call it cultural sexism :wink:
Original post by thatitootoo
Waarom kan jij geen Nederlands verstaan? :angry:
Als jij Duits spreken kan, is de Nederlandse Taal ook niet zo zwaar! ^^

Translate into German (yourself)? I even capitalised a noun :wink:
Warum kann du kein Niederlandisch verstehen?
Wenn du Deutsch schon sprechen kann, ist die Niederlandische Sprache dann nicht so schwer.

:confused:

I did use a dictionary for three words. Some of the remaining ones I've just ignored, and hoped they're not important.
(edited 10 years ago)
Warum kann du kein Niederlandisch verstehen?
Wenn du Deutsch sprechen kann, ist die Niederlandische Sprache dann nicht so schwer.

:confused:

I did use a dictionary for three words. Some of the remaining ones I've just ignored, and hoped they're not important.

Zeer goed! Only 'ook' = 'auch' not 'dann' lol
Dutch is taking over now? You put "kann" instead of "kannst" and you did not put an umlaut on Niederländisch?!? :zomg:
(edited 10 years ago)
Zeer goed! Only 'ook' = 'auch' not 'dann' lol
Dutch is taking over now? You put "kann" instead of "kannst" and you did not put an umlaut on Niederländisch?!? :zomg:
je suis nulle en langues!
You added an unnecessary 'schon' in your edit...^^ 'schon' = 'al' in Dutch and 'al' is the first two letters of already!
I don't see why the schon is unnecessary. I used wenn not als, you know.
je suis nulle en langues!

Du bist keine Sprache? xP
I'm also not sure if 'schon' should have gone before 'Deutsch' in your edit, instead.
It seems to have a more natural flow for the Dutch-hearing ear ;D
(edited 10 years ago)
w8 Octopus_Garden du hast recht!!! :tongue:
(Just repeated the whole sentence in my head...schon IS in the right place!)
wenn = als = if
ob = of = if/whether
English is the confusing one :wink:

Also "niederländische" & "deutsche" etc... does not need to be capitalized in German!
(edited 10 years ago)
wenn = als = if
ob = of = if/whether
English is the confusing one :wink:

Also "niederländische" & "deutsche" etc... does not need to be capitalized in German!

Going off the context you used it in, I don't think the German and the Dutch als exactly match up, just so you know. I shouldn't have capitalised niederländische when I was using it as an adjective, but when they were nouns, I was correct to capitalise them!:tongue:
Going off the context you used it in, I don't think the German and the Dutch als exactly match up, just so you know. I shouldn't have capitalised niederländische when I was using it as an adjective, but when they were nouns, I was correct to capitalise them!:tongue:

Du sprichst gewiss die Wahrheit xp
It's not that popular on this thread u knw ^^
There have been a few Dutch learners on this thread but they kind of come and go :tongue: Vionar can write a birthday card
Constantmeowage seems to know Dutch, Ronove knows Danish and German and is familiar with the historic sound shifts which occured in Germanic languages, so she can read it I think :tongue:

Can you understand written Portuguese? :wink:

Nope, I'm generally alright with spoken Portuguese, in the same way I'm okay with (basic) spoken Arabic and Thai, but that won't help me on here :s-smilie: I know phrases of Irish and Scottish Gaelic but again, not helpful. I'll try and pick it up as I go along, or just wait for the rare French/Spanish speakers :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does making users' names bold draw their attention via a notification?

Latest

Trending

Trending