The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
Is it funded or do you have to pay it yourself?

I paid for it myself. It was £200, but as a politics student applying for an R.E PGCE, I thought it would massively increase my chances of being considered. Finished it yesterday! I don't know what the ones for other subjects are like in terms of funding.
Original post by Airfairy
I paid for it myself. It was £200, but as a politics student applying for an R.E PGCE, I thought it would massively increase my chances of being considered. Finished it yesterday! I don't know what the ones for other subjects are like in terms of funding.

I see. Are you planning to teach Primary students or Secondary?
Original post by Juichiro
I see. Are you planning to teach Primary students or Secondary?

Secondary R.E is the plan. Are you hoping to teach primary?

Everything I'm reading says that you are only eligible for a SKE if you have a conditional offer for a place at a PGCE already. Is that true? Where did you do yours? I'd love to do one in French. :smile:
Original post by alabelle
Everything I'm reading says that you are only eligible for a SKE if you have a conditional offer for a place at a PGCE already. Is that true? Where did you do yours? I'd love to do one in French. :smile:

That is quite possible. I think R.E is a little different. Mine is through a private company called Culham St Gabriels, it's not like the ones shown on the DfE website. The DfE don't do a SKE for R.E so it was my only option. I don't know anything about MFL though, sorry!
Reply 265
Hello everyone :smile:,

I'm thinking of applying for Primary PGCE at Liverpool Hope and Chester. I've been volunteering one day a week in a local primary school since November. Will this be enough experience? Everyone on here seems to have so much varied experience, I'm worried that I haven't managed to volunteer with any Brownies groups etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
That is quite possible. I think R.E is a little different. Mine is through a private company called Culham St Gabriels, it's not like the ones shown on the DfE website. The DfE don't do a SKE for R.E so it was my only option. I don't know anything about MFL though, sorry!

Original post by Sarah214
Hello everyone :smile:,

I'm thinking of applying for Primary PGCE at Liverpool Hope and Chester. I've been volunteering one day a week in a local primary school since November. Will this be enough experience? Everyone on here seems to have so much varied experience, I'm worried that I haven't managed to volunteer with any Brownies groups etc.

It's really subjective, from my understanding its more what you get from the experience than the number if days you've done. As long as you meet the minimum 10 days you have just as much chance as anyone else!
Hay! Does any one know when the PGCE primary applications (2014 start) open up?

Thaks :-)
Original post by 101pixiedust
Hay! Does any one know when the PGCE primary applications (2014 start) open up?

Thaks :-)

Should be open by 1st November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I feel so unprepared looking at this thread. I want to do a Primary PCGE somewhere in the North-West just to save moving house again. This is all I know. I'm re-sitting my Science GCSE sometime this academic year and hopefully I'll get some classroom experience.

Once applications open is it too late to be cramming in experience? i.e. should I ideally get a ton of volunteering done BEFORE November?

I've got experience outside of the classroom, Guides and all that just none of the stuff they're actually looking for :frown:
Original post by strawberry fields
Hey,

I feel so unprepared looking at this thread. I want to do a Primary PCGE somewhere in the North-West just to save moving house again. This is all I know. I'm re-sitting my Science GCSE sometime this academic year and hopefully I'll get some classroom experience.

Once applications open is it too late to be cramming in experience? i.e. should I ideally get a ton of volunteering done BEFORE November?

I've got experience outside of the classroom, Guides and all that just none of the stuff they're actually looking for :frown:

Hi, you're going to have to be quick off the mark to get some volunteer experience in September! Get plenty of letters printed out ready, and spend the first week back going around schools taking them in personally. Primary schools appear the most difficult to get experience in, I think this is because they have a lot of parent helpers.
Check the requirements of the university you want to apply to. They might ask for just 10 days, or maybe (as my prospective uni does) 15 days, 10 of which must be consecutive. I have two full weeks lined up before I start back at uni, and then once a week from then.
I would say that it's better to do at least some volunteering before you apply so you have something to talk about, and then the rest before interview so you have something to discuss there.
Guides and stuff counts as experience. It's extra stuff, so you know you can work with kids and not just in the classroom.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
strawberry fields - I know how you feel! I am trying to aim for application this year for 2014 entry, and it seems as if I'm starting at the bottom of a mountain just to get there. I have lots of experience outside of schools through Rainbows (looking to teach early Primary), and have started contacting local infant schools to try and get some work experience done before writing my personal statement. In between all of that lot I've been researching and reading as much as possible. Fortunately I've got excellent grades in English, Maths and Science GCSE, with English A level as well, so I don't have to worry about playing catch-up there.

The joys of a career change ;-)

Am I overly optimistic in wanting to apply to York St Johns and Winchester?
Reply 272
Good plan! History seems to be a common one that people go into even at secondary level. I don't know how people do because I've done practically no relevant history in my degree. Good luck!

If it's any help, I did a joint history and politics degree, did an MA in Political Communications AND have worked in politics since. I haven't found any issues really, you should be fine as long as you get the experience and make a good application. :smile:
Reply 273
I have found this is helpful for personal statements - http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/pgcestatements.htm any one else got any links? Going to start drafting mine next week.
Original post by Marcusian
I have found this is helpful for personal statements - http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/pgcestatements.htm any one else got any links? Going to start drafting mine next week.

Great minds think alike. ..im starting mine next week to but to do a UG Ba in Primary Ed :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that link, it looks really useful! I tried to start my PS the other day but found it really intimidating so I didn't get much more than a few notes down on paper. Glad I'm starting early!
If it's any help, I did a joint history and politics degree, did an MA in Political Communications AND have worked in politics since. I haven't found any issues really, you should be fine as long as you get the experience and make a good application. :smile:

And are you applying for PGCE history then? I guess people pick things up. Did you do GCSE/A-Level history?

That PS help link you posted is ace btw, thank you!
Hi, I'm going to a apply for a Primary PGCE starting in 2014. Just wondering if anyone knows when we can start to apply through the GTTR?

I know the deadline is the beginning of December, and I've looked all over the place but it only seems to say stuff about courses starting in 2013.

Original post by rach.meach
Hi, I'm going to a apply for a Primary PGCE starting in 2014. Just wondering if anyone knows when we can start to apply through the GTTR?

I know the deadline is the beginning of December, and I've looked all over the place but it only seems to say stuff about courses starting in 2013.

Applications are through UCAS this year rather than the GTTR :smile: I think it opens on November 1st for PGCE applicants.
Hi,

I'm applying for 2014 intake as I was unsuccessful, and had a thought. *Uh ohh*

I'm not sure about this, and I haven't (as of yet) found any information to support it butttttt... Is it possible to apply for Teach First and GTTR???? For example, Teach First have all SCITT options and GTTR have all PGCE?

This might be a question already answered, but I'm struggling to find a definitive yes or no on the subject. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending