The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8000
The best thing that could happen is we keep Rooney, sign Gustavo and forget about Fellaini/Baines.

Fellaini is good but he's isn't worth £20m+ and same goes for Baines.

I have no idea why we tried buying Fabregas, I know Moyes wanted a big name signing, but that one never made any sense since day one to me
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
When I see the new crop it really pales in comparison to our 'golden generation'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phil Jones > Butt
Phil Jones > P Neville
Phil Jones > G Neville
Phil Jones > Scholes
Phil Jones > Beckham
Phil Jones > Giggs

You'll see
Reply 8002
Yeah do not want United to sign Baines at all. Too pricey and too old. If there is literally no one else, then we should just bring in Fellani
Reply 8003
Original post by Whitechapel
I'd rather we forget any transfers instead of settling for Fellaini in all honesty.

Not sure we can. Assuming Fletcher isn't going to be fit any time soon, we have Carrick, Cleverley and Anderson in midfield. Three isn't enough for a whole season because of injuries and midweek games. Of course we have makeshift CMs in Giggs and Jones, but I don't think playing those two there often is going to end well for us. So, you'd assume we need to get someone in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Rooney being named in the squad shows his injury ain't that serious but will allow him to get game-time if he does end up staying and being in contention for the start of the season but also a chance for the Chelsea boys to continue their luring of the boy.
Reply 8005
Original post by Aky786UK
There was a lack of clarity from all sides, mainly from Cesc. Had he made his statement from the start he would have killed it off but obviously due to Tito's leaving, clarification about his role, meant it dragged on and we, maybe to his agent, felt he could be lured away. Let's move on.

Rather go for Fellaini than Baines but can't see Everton letting him go without £20m.

Cesc has been very clear though. He's always said he wanted to stay. Wenger confirmed this many times as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Why are you all under the impression that Fabregas hadn't said he wanted to stay at Barca until today? He made a statement right at the start of the whole saga saying he was staying.
Reply 8007
Original post by DaveSmith99
Why are you all under the impression that Fabregas hadn't said he wanted to stay at Barca until today? He made a statement right at the start of the whole saga saying he was staying.

He did, as did Barca, but recently Barca saying the decision was up to him could mean he was up for it? And the fact United kept bidding for him.

Saha has just announced his retirement at 35
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8008
For all intent and purposes, he's been retired for a while now. Remembered watching him boss the old Division 1 during Fulham's promotion and who could forget the performance he put on against you guys on his PL debut with Fulham.
Reply 8009
Chelsea may step up their bid for Rooney, especially if they want the CL, Madrid outclassed them and 3-1 was kind to them IMO.
We would've been beaten if Madrid played like that against us as well, Modric and Khedira were bossing the midfield and Ronaldo was there to finish and Marcelo was great. Ronaldo will not be leaving this Madrid.

Gustavo, De Rossi and Fellaini are the only players out there obtainable IMO, and all of them are good enough. Gustavo and Fellaini are both the most likely, both offer different options, Fellaini wouldn't allow Toure/Dembele to boss our midfields via strength and improve us on set pieces, but Gustavo is better on the ball and knows how to win.
Reply 8010
Original post by rohitbd
Chelsea may step up their bid for Rooney, especially if they want the CL, Madrid outclassed them and 3-1 was kind to them IMO.
We would've been beaten if Madrid played like that against us as well, Modric and Khedira were bossing the midfield and Ronaldo was there to finish and Marcelo was great. Ronaldo will not be leaving this Madrid.

Gustavo, De Rossi and Fellaini are the only players out there obtainable IMO, and all of them are good enough. Gustavo and Fellaini are both the most likely, both offer different options, Fellaini wouldn't allow Toure/Dembele to boss our midfields via strength and improve us on set pieces, but Gustavo is better on the ball and knows how to win.

De Rossi is getting on a bit, would rather get a younger guy. If we bring in Fellaini/Gustavo this season, we could always try with Gundogan next season?
With the players who are obtainable now, I'm 100% okay with our current midfield. 100%.

Of course, Rooney leaving would change that.
Reply 8012
Original post by Sami'
De Rossi is getting on a bit, would rather get a younger guy. If we bring in Fellaini/Gustavo this season, we could always try with Gundogan next season?

why next season? they would consider a 35 mil bid. people underestimate how important central midfield is. Gundogan would be perfect.
Reply 8013
Original post by Kenan and Kel
With the players who are obtainable now, I'm 100% okay with our current midfield. 100%.

I think a defensive midfielder is needed.
Original post by Sami'

Gundogan has 2 yrs left on his contract, you'd expect him to have signed a new contract by next summer. We'd have to buy him this window.
Tbh the second thiago went to bayern fabregas was never going to be a target. He said he likes barca and wants to stay at the start of the saga but it's down to the club. I still think barca were trying to entertain you guys. What's the point of barca getting less than 5m profit on a 26 year old. Made no sense whatsoever.
Reply 8015
As much as i'd love United to sign Gundogan this summer, I'm sure he has said he won't be leaving this summer?

Original post by Kenan and Kel

I think it depends who joins and leaves for the top 5 teams. If everyone around us improves their squad and we don't, then I would worry.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8016
someone please tell me why we didnt sign strootman?
Reply 8017
#MUFC on Fabregas: "We appreciate Cesc is a contracted player at Barcelona and completely respect everything Cesc has said today."
Don't really see why we felt it necessary to come out with that. A new manager and a new MD was a mistake, very amateurish how we've gone about our transfers this window. Should have persuaded Gill to stick around for another year.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Don't really see why we felt it necessary to come out with that. A new manager and a new MD was a mistake, very amateurish how we've gone about our transfers this window. Should have persuaded Gill to stick around for another year.

Only make it public if there's a high chance of it happening or if you want to unsettle a domestic rival's player via the media(rooney). Simple rules man.

Do you expect to see any more transfer activity this window? Defence is sorted, attack is fine bar wingers who I think will buck up this season.

Latest