The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by study beats
well the animes i really liked were death note, elfen lied and clannad...angel beats and high school of the dead wasnt bad either....attack on titan at the moment i really like, first time watching subs....

code geass was kinda gay no offense

basically animes with mystery, mature tones, good story, serious, moral messages

List I can think of;

1. Black Butler (Skip first episodes, completely unnecessary and crap)
2. Steins Gate
3. Tsubasa is fairly matureish but kinda slow, second series trumps the first imo.
4. Durarara
5. Code Breaker

About all I can think of off the top of my head.

Would strongly recommend Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
List I can think of;

1. Black Butler (Skip first episodes, completely unnecessary and crap)
2. Steins Gate
3. Tsubasa is fairly matureish but kinda slow, second series trumps the first imo.
4. Durarara
5. Code Breaker

About all I can think of off the top of my head.

Would strongly recommend Sword Art Online and Blue Exorcist though.

black butler is gay emo stuff sorry
subabsa...seriously? i am not watching this crap, plot looks crap
durarrarararara? yawn.....plot looks boring, different characters stupid...
code breaker? great..another anime with guy who comes to school with super powers...

only one i would watch is steins gate, but i already knew about that one
Sword Art Online... is one of the more mature animes I have seen more or less.

Probably shouldn't be sneakily reading this site while I'm at work, as this almost sent me into a fit of giggles. :giggle: Sword Art Online undeniably covers some mature themes, but they're not presented in a particularly mature way, at least not in my opinion. :nah:

serious man, give me some real anime

I'm struggling to think of many series that might fit the bill, if only because I don't pay attention to what's dubbed and what isn't. :hmmmm2: About all I can think of is Paranoia Agent, which is a bit of a mindf**k.

If you don't mind watching with subs for Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass might be worth checking out. :dontknow: Or there's Rainbow, which (despite the bright, happy sounding name) is one of the darkest series I've ever seen.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Probably shouldn't be sneakily reading this site while I'm at work, as this almost sent me into a fit of giggles. :giggle: Sword Art Online undeniably covers some mature themes, but they're not presented in a particularly mature way, at least not in my opinion. :nah:

I'm struggling to think of many series that might fit the bill, if only because I don't pay attention to what's dubbed and what isn't. :hmmmm2: About all I can think of is Paranoia Agent, which is a bit of a mindf**k.

If you don't mind watching with subs for Attack on Titan, Psycho-Pass might be worth checking out. :dontknow: Or there's Rainbow, which (despite the bright, happy sounding name) is one of the darkest series I've ever seen.

paranioa agent looks weird? theres a kid smacking people with a baseball bat?

rainbow looks intersting, might see
paranioa agent looks weird? theres a kid smacking people with a baseball bat?

rainbow looks intersting, might see

Paranoia Agent certainly is weird, it focuses on a whole host of characters, victims of the baseball bat kid, and how their lives are affected by the attack. It does go into the realms of fantasy quite a bit, but it's more people's fears and delusions than 'magic' or anything like that. It's definitely a love it or hate it kind of series.
I'm struggling to think of many series that might fit the bill,

I think he limited his kind of anime to maybe like 0.01% of what's available out there myself. =l
Finished the xxxholic ovas, the '10 years later' one was especially good. I miss that series :moon:

basically animes with mystery, mature tones, good story, serious, moral messages

Gungrave and Princess Mononoke are really good, got good dubs too(or so I've heard :pierre:)
I think he limited his kind of anime to maybe like 0.01% of what's available out there myself. =l

While I think that being open minded and trying different shows is a good thing, everyone has their own tastes and interests. :dontknow: Plus, I personally like the challenge of finding series to fit really specific requests/interests, even if the preference for dubs makes it a bit difficult for me.

I probably wouldn't have thought to suggest Rainbow if you hadn't already asked so many questions, and if he hadn't given all that feedback about your suggestions, though, so thanks for the help. :smile: It's a bit too dark and depressing to give out as a general recommendation!
Reply 5068
Eid Mubarak guys! To celebrate I bought Tiger and Bunny Part 1 and Evangelion 1.11. Also won a bid yesterday on entire Cromartie High School collection :biggrin:

:u: <--- my feels atm
This might be of interest to some people... titans look a bit derpy, though!

Reply 5070
Anyone going to any upcoming conventions?

I'm off to insomnia in a couple weeks then i've got Jcon in September.
Original post by ianh16
Anyone going to any upcoming conventions?

I'm off to insomnia in a couple weeks then i've got Jcon in September.

I don't know whether it counts as a convention, but I went to Hyper Japan a couple of weeks ago :biggrin:
Reply 5072
I always go to the MCM Expo, usually in Mayushii cosplay :3
Last time I bought two figures~ Asuka and my Princess :smile:
Hoping to meet with an online friend this year, he lives in Belgium.
I have not watched anything for a while. Seeing this thread has reminded me to find something. Hmm.
I can't find chapter 347 of the Fairy Tail manga! DX
Is usually out by midday and is over 6 hours overdue!
Don't suppose anyone here can read Japanese can they?

If so, please translate the top part of the page please, I know it announces something in 2014 for Fairy Tail but I can't read it. =(

20130728142338495.jpg

If so, please translate the top part of the page please, I know it announces something in 2014 for Fairy Tail but I can't read it. =(

20130728142338495.jpg

I can't read Japanese, so could be completely wrong here, but judging by the image, is it not just an advertisement for a Fairy Tail calendar? :dontknow:

Aiko
:king1:

Any chance you could confirm/deny this, if you have a minute? :smile:
I can't read Japanese, so could be completely wrong here, but judging by the image, is it not just an advertisement for a Fairy Tail calendar? :dontknow:

Could be I suppose but below that it has the 19th August thing on it?

EDIT:
Although, could be that obvious I guess. =P
(edited 10 years ago)

20130728142338495.jpg

I'm not sure, but the date mentioned is the 19th August, the day after the 1st fairy tail film was released in 2012 (according to wiki), so my guess is that they would be related, but I'm really not sure :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5079
Is Basilisk any good? It's MVM's deal of the week at £9.99, a very tempting price.

Latest