The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If I were Moyes, I'd have a crack at Gustavo then leave it. We don't want to make any desperate buys. I'd rather have Cleverley, Powell or Jones than Fellaini. Baines would be a terrible signing as Evra is just as good, similar age and a huge part of our team.

Can't wait for the Wigan game :biggrin:
Reply 8021
Original post by Sami'
De Rossi is getting on a bit, would rather get a younger guy. If we bring in Fellaini/Gustavo this season, we could always try with Gundogan next season?

De Rossi is such a beast though and still one of the best in his role. One of my favourite players, wouldn't want to see him at United, remember being pretty annoyed when you were linked to him a few years ago, would have been a great signing.
Reply 8022
Original post by Deshi
De Rossi is such a beast though and still one of the best in his role. One of my favourite players, wouldn't want to see him at United, remember being pretty annoyed when you were linked to him a few years ago, would have been a great signing.

He's good and a few years ago would have been a cracking signing, but at his age now we would only have to get a replacement in a couple of years.
Where is Powell?
Original post by ledleyking123
Where is Powell?

Recovering from surgery.
Selling Rooney (especially to another premier league club) would defy all logic. Without Rooney our team will be considerably weaker than lasts seasons, which is even more stupid when you consider the potential of both City and Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stopmessing
Selling Rooney (especially to another premier league club) would defy all logic. Without Rooney our team will be considerably weaker than lasts seasons, which is even more stupid when you consider the potential of both City and Chelsea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, agree here. Only thing is that you can get an inflated fee, the fact rooney has 2 years remaining(take the cash now than get rubbish offers next season?) and that he's on high wages would make some sense for a transfer. I think Chelsea will put in 35 million late in the window and leave it at that.
Original post by jam277
Only make it public if there's a high chance of it happening or if you want to unsettle a domestic rival's player via the media(rooney). Simple rules man.

Do you expect to see any more transfer activity this window? Defence is sorted, attack is fine bar wingers who I think will buck up this season.

We'll probably end up with Fellaini or no one tbh. Even if Moyes doesn't like Gustavo for whatever reason, if we put enough money on the table then I'm sure Leverkusen would be willing to part with Lars Bender, who I think would be perfect for our midfield.
Rooney should not be sold to Chelsea under any circumstances.
I am honestly starting to hate Moyes. Only one signing, whereas city have got all these world class player. I can only hope they don't get along in the changing rooms and let their egos take over again.
Original post by techno-thriller
I am honestly starting to hate Moyes. Only one signing, whereas city have got all these world class player. I can only hope they don't get along in the changing rooms and let their egos take over again.

If your already starting to 'hate' a manager, before his first game..

Then maybe your supporting the wrong team...

Try chelsea, - you would fit in better there...

FOHWTS

"I would like to remind you this club stood by me in bad times, the players and the staff. Your job now is to stand by the new manager."

Sir Alex Ferguson
Reply 8033
John Henry making clear he will not sell to Arsenal, makes me feel better that someone is having a worse transfer window than us.
Reply 8034
I cant understand why everyone should have to stick with moyes, yeah id give him a few years but what if he is truly awful? how long would we have to put up with him?

He will never emulate fergie and we will have to accept that. But the utd board should of got a massive signing to give moyes a bit of time.
Original post by cost
John Henry making clear he will not sell to Arsenal, makes me feel better that someone is having a worse transfer window than us.

Even though Arsenal need some signings, I still feel like he's doing them a favour. Sure he's a talented player, but £50m is a risk for the human being, not the footballer.

Original post by JM1987
I cant understand why everyone should have to stick with moyes, yeah id give him a few years but what if he is truly awful? how long would we have to put up with him?

He will never emulate fergie and we will have to accept that. But the utd board should of got a massive signing to give moyes a bit of time.

And how exactly do you know that? We'll give him at least four years to win the league. Probably more. He'll be fine.
Original post by JM1987

He's on a 6 year contract, I think we give him an evaluation after 3 years if it's that bad and if there's any signs that its going to improve then keep him around and support his vision. If not I reckon he goes after that.

But I don't think we have anything to worry about ... he won't be awful. I'm confident he'll still be here in ten years time.
Reply 8037
"We have identified the player as one we would like to have with us. We have done it in an ethical way and we are going to do that until the last day. We are doing things legally, making the official bid directly to the club.
‘There have been no direct relations with the player, no contact absolutely nothing. So let’s see if things change.’

Mourinho on Rooney.
Original post by JM1987

Not too sure just how many managers could do that to be fair. Also remember Fergie needed a few years before his first success.
Original post by poiuytrewq54321

"I would like to remind you this club stood by me in bad times, the players and the staff. Your job now is to stand by the new manager."

Sir Alex Ferguson

That's all well and good, but football has changed. After the domination period, quite a lot of fans got on Sir Alex's back when we didn't win anything over those couples years Chelsea became a force. It will be a lot worse for Moyes if he wins nothing over the next 2/3 year period. He should be given time, but the fans (and board) over the last 20 years have been used to the team winning.

I'll be extremely surprised if some fans don't start making a noise if we're quite far off the pace this season.

The club should have done a lot better this summer, though. I know that there is still time, but if signings are made, they have already missed our pre-season. The squad is good, but midfield clearly needs strengthening. Moyes should have been given the best squad we could have gotten to make this transitional period easier.

Latest