The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8701
Happy Wednesday peoples! New blog post is a top ten of my favourite film scores.

Spoiler: it's very John Williams heavy. :cool:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/top-ten-film-scores/
Original post by Kenan and Kel

He has only really aged a bit in the last 2 years. What a great man.
Original post by aja89
Happy Wednesday peoples! New blog post is a top ten of my favourite film scores.

Wow, don't know much about scores, but wow he has been nominated every year or other year since 1967!!?!?! Impressive.
Reply 8704
Original post by aja89

No Hans Zimmer + Howard Shore + Craig Armstrong = Disappointing.

Anyway I've been attempting to watch Princess Mononoke, first time watching this genre and just can't get into it. It's just too weird. Don't know if I can be bothered to give it another try.
Reply 8705
Original post by danny111
Hm, quite a few haven't seen too many that were out, live in Switzerland but not at uni anymore so it's hard to find people to go cinema with (too expensive here to go on your own imo). Really wanna see Star Trek and White House Down - my brother really recommended this, Kick Ass 2, The East - love Ellen Page - and Red 2).

Might be a few that I can't think of but those are on my mind at the moment.

Saw The East at The Electric Cinema in London on the 4th just gone. It was very very good. Brit Marling especially so. Ellen Page was good as always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by al0
Saw The East at The Electric Cinema in London on the 4th just gone. It was very very good. Brit Marling especially so. Ellen Page was good as always.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea? That girl is so talented and she is really, really down to Earth. Although I think that's the new Hollywood, a lot of young actresses seem extremely decent people (Lawrence, Stone) who I love to watch their interviews on youtube. But yes Page chooses what movies she does carefully, in one interview she said she rejects some films because she wants to focus on what interests her.
Reply 8707
Yea? That girl is so talented and she is really, really down to Earth. Although I think that's the new Hollywood, a lot of young actresses seem extremely decent people (Lawrence, Stone) who I love to watch their interviews on youtube. But yes Page chooses what movies she does carefully, in one interview she said she rejects some films because she wants to focus on what interests her.

Absolutely love the new generation of actresses. Elizabeth Olsen, Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page, Brit Marling, Emma Stone - all so down to Earth and talented as ****!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by al0
Absolutely love the new generation of actresses. Elizabeth Olsen, Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page, Brit Marling, Emma Stone - all so down to Earth and talented as ****!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would add to that list Saoirse Ronan. She was great in The Lovely Bones and I totally loved Hanna :smile:
Hi! I'm a movie/film fanatic :biggrin:
Nice to meet you...yeah so hey :smile:
Just watched Percy Jackson SOM, and it was much better than the first. Well, imo...maybe it's because of my raging crush on Logan Lerman. He's definitely grown since the last one. It might be the Charlie in him that's awesome lol.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8711
I would add to that list Saoirse Ronan. She was great in The Lovely Bones and I totally loved Hanna :smile:

Oh yeah man how could I forget? She's awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deshi
No Hans Zimmer + Howard Shore + Craig Armstrong = Disappointing.

Anyway I've been attempting to watch Princess Mononoke, first time watching this genre and just can't get into it. It's just too weird. Don't know if I can be bothered to give it another try.

If you can't get into Princess Mononoke, then I wouldn't bother with the rest. PM is my favourite Anime.
Reply 8713
Original post by Plato's Trousers

I have, but I was disappointed. In fact I left before the end as I was so bored. Just seemed like a load of incoherent, drug induced rambling to me. Couldn't see the point at all.

I like some of his other films (Down Terrace was excellent), but he's a terribly patchy director.

Ah, interesting! My evaluation of it was more positive - I didn't think it was great, with the main gripe being that a lot of the avant garde elements of it seemed pretty amateurish rather than intellectual, but I did think it was well-directed in terms of the steady creation of an atmosphere. I said that I thought it was a bit similar to Berberian Sound Studio - I thought that it had the same sort of theme of the surrealist deconstruction of a quite pronouncedly British psyche, and I really quite enjoyed that; but again, while the abstractedness of Berberian Sound Studio all seems quite well thought-out and planned, there were parts of A Field in England that seemed just a bit too throwaway - perhaps a bit closer to dadaism than surrealism. :cute:

In other news, I've been inordinately excited about this movie since it went into production:

[video="youtube;vUQNjfhlREk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQNjfhlREk[/video]

Just look at that cast. :coma: I had the privilege of seeing Mr Ejiofor perform live in A Season in the Congo at the Young Vic a couple of weeks ago, and he was absolutely magnificent. :yep: I'm quite interested to see what sort of role Fassbender is going to have in it, though: in both of McQueen's previous feature-length projects, his characters were very much in the spotlight and his performances (perhaps consequently) particularly nuanced; I wonder if being in a side-role will cause him to become more one-dimensional (which is what the trailer seems to suggest to me - though I have a great deal of faith in his talent, so I'd remain optimistic). :holmes:

Anyway, just about to sit down to watch Uzak. :biggrin:
Reply 8714
Original post by Abiraleft
Ah, interesting! My evaluation of it was more positive - I didn't think it was great, with the main gripe being that a lot of the avant garde elements of it seemed pretty amateurish rather than intellectual, but I did think it was well-directed in terms of the steady creation of an atmosphere. I said that I thought it was a bit similar to Berberian Sound Studio - I thought that it had the same sort of theme of the surrealist deconstruction of a quite pronouncedly British psyche, and I really quite enjoyed that; but again, while the abstractedness of Berberian Sound Studio all seems quite well thought-out and planned, there were parts of A Field in England that seemed just a bit too throwaway - perhaps a bit closer to dadaism than surrealism. :cute:

In other news, I've been inordinately excited about this movie since it went into production:

[video="youtube;vUQNjfhlREk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQNjfhlREk[/video]

Just look at that cast. :coma: I had the privilege of seeing Mr Ejiofor perform live in A Season in the Congo at the Young Vic a couple of weeks ago, and he was absolutely magnificent. :yep: I'm quite interested to see what sort of role Fassbender is going to have in it, though: in both of McQueen's previous feature-length projects, his characters were very much in the spotlight and his performances (perhaps consequently) particularly nuanced; I wonder if being in a side-role will cause him to become more one-dimensional (which is what the trailer seems to suggest to me - though I have a great deal of faith in his talent, so I'd remain optimistic). :holmes:

Anyway, just about to sit down to watch Uzak. :biggrin:

Looks very good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucine.B
Hi! I'm a movie/film fanatic :biggrin:
Nice to meet you...yeah so hey :smile:

Hi!

What's your favourite genre?
Reply 8716
Anyone looking forward to seeing The Kings of The Summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by al0
Anyone looking forward to seeing The Kings of The Summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Am now, it looks rather intriguing.

Just saw the trailer, and I usually enjoy coming of age films anyway, but this one looks hilarious. The Biaggio character also looks like he can be that special extra that makes a movie great.
Reply 8718
Got another review read out on Kermode and Mayo this afternoon. For The Heat. :h:
Original post by aja89
Got another review read out on Kermode and Mayo this afternoon. For The Heat. :h:

Did you! :five:

I have listened to every single podcast those two have ever done. (Although I don't like it when they're on holiday; their stand ins are always cretins)

Quick Reply

Latest