The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Appeals FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Memetics
Hello people.

I'm not submitting an urgent appeal, but just for one of my standard grades. However the deadline for appeals is the 21st, which also happens to be the day my school goes back from holiday. Would you recommend I got in touch with my school now, or would it be fin toe wait until the school goes back?

:ta:

That's the deadline for Higher and AH appeals. The deadline for SG appeals is 9th September - you've got plenty time and can wait until you go back. :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's the deadline for Higher and AH appeals. The deadline for SG appeals is 9th September - you've got plenty time and can wait until you go back. :smile:

Oh thanks, I didn't think it was that soon, but I got a bit anxious after seeing people comment on the deadline and thougt it was so soon, no problem then :redface:
Got rejected for an appeal from my school as my exam, a band 3 B (65%-69%) was "too close to an A" to appeal for an A, what does that mean? Shouldn't that make me more eligible? P.s my prelim was an A

Also, does anyone know if medical schools accept top up- as I cannot get an appeal?

[SIZE="1"]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE
(edited 10 years ago)
After reading what other people have said, I'm starting to worry that maybe they lost one of my booklets for AH history. I did have to get 2 extra booklets because the first time I asked for more paper I only got the small booklet (4 pages or something). But then again, maybe my history teacher was off when he gave us our dissertation estimates. Like way off.
It could just be that my essays weren't as good as I thought they were which has happened before. But even when I was trying to estimate what grade I may get with bad essays and source questions, I always came out with an average to low B.

*confused/paranoid for no reason rant over*

(I'm still happy I passed ^_^ )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Markmcculloch
Got rejected for an appeal from my school as my exam, a band 3 B (65%-69%) was "too close to an A" to appeal for an A, what does that mean? Shouldn't that make me more eligible? P.s my prelim was an A

Also, does anyone know if medical schools accept top up- as I cannot get an appeal?

I don't understand this logic at all. Are you sure there hasn't been a miscommunication somewhere? I've never seen a student be refused an appeal because they're "too close to an A". Did you mention that you need it if you're to have any hope of getting into medical school as a school leaver? Like I said in my other reply, your chances are already incredibly small with that C. Not being able to appeal the B would push you out of the running altogether, unfortunately!
It might be time for you to start looking at alternative routes into medicine: our wiki has lots of information about these. :smile:

Medical schools don't accept top up. Sorry. :no:
I don't understand this logic at all. Are you sure there hasn't been a miscommunication somewhere? I've never seen a student be refused an appeal because they're "too close to an A". Did you mention that you need it if you're to have any hope of getting into medical school as a school leaver? Like I said in my other reply, your chances are already incredibly small with that C. Not being able to appeal the B would push you out of the running altogether, unfortunately!
It might be time for you to start looking at alternative routes into medicine: our wiki has lots of information about these. :smile:

Medical schools don't accept top up. Sorry. :no:

He said that I was extremely close to an A, as it was a band 3, so as my prelim was an A band 2 I can not appeal because- and I quote "you need to be more than 1 band of a difference between your prelim and final exam to appeal". Which is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard as getting a high B should increase my chances of a successful appeal.

Reply 106
Hi, I'm planning to arrange an urgent appeal for a Higher Mathematics grade B to get moved up to a grade A. This appeal is very important as it will confirm my place for an Engineering course at The university of Edinburgh. It for my Firm choice too, so life depends on it :frown:

I got an A in the prelim and was predicted an A for the final exam but sadly achieved a B. I've also go alot of evidence of acheving high percentages on mock test exams officially marked by the teacher. All A-grade submitted homework over the year nd hopefully a good reference from the teacher wiil be gd.

Please advice me if you think I have a good chance of getting the appeal
[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43865264"]He said that I was extremely close to an A, as it was a band 3, so as my prelim was an A band 2 I can not appeal because- and I quote "you need to be more than 1 band of a difference between your prelim and final exam to appeal". Which is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard as getting a high B should increase my chances of a successful appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE

Ahh, okay. That's totally different! What he's saying is that he doesn't feel like your evidence is strong enough to get a successful appeal - not that your exam grade is too good to appeal!

Original post by Zack_836
Hi, I'm planning to arrange an urgent appeal for a Higher Mathematics grade B to get moved up to a grade A. This appeal is very important as it will confirm my place for an Engineering course at The university of Edinburgh. It for my Firm choice too, so life depends on it :frown:

I got an A in the prelim and was predicted an A for the final exam but sadly achieved a B. I've also go alot of evidence of acheving high percentages on mock test exams officially marked by the teacher. All A-grade submitted homework over the year nd hopefully a good reference from the teacher wiil be gd.

Please advice me if you think I have a good chance of getting the appeal

I'm afraid we can't tell you about the likelihood of a successful appeal. The process is too idiosyncratic for us to make an honest judgement, and we simply don't have access to the information, or the expertise, available to comment. :frown:
You've got the appeal sorted out, so all we can do from here is to wish you the best of luck! There's nothing else we can really say here, or that you can really do. Just hope for the best, and I hope you make your firm!

Don't worry about not making your firm - it's not the end of the world if you don't make it into Edinburgh. You've still got plenty of other options; your life certainly doesn't end if you don't meet the offer! Plenty of other universities with great courses that can lead to equally great futures. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ahh, okay. That's totally different! What he's saying is that he doesn't feel like your evidence is strong enough to get a successful appeal - not that your exam grade is too good to appeal!

I'm afraid we can't tell you about the likelihood of a successful appeal. The process is too idiosyncratic for us to make an honest judgement, and we simply don't have access to the information, or the expertise, available to comment. :frown:
You've got the appeal sorted out, so all we can do from here is to wish you the best of luck! There's nothing else we can really say here, or that you can really do. Just hope for the best, and I hope you make your firm!

Don't worry about not making your firm - it's not the end of the world if you don't make it into Edinburgh. You've still got plenty of other options; your life certainly doesn't end if you don't meet the offer! Plenty of other universities with great courses that can lead to equally great futures. :smile:

I don't get this though, last year a friend of mines got the same prelim mark and a lower folio mark but he got appealed from a C to an A in the same subject, AN A FROM A C. With that in mind I don't get why I wouldn't have as good a chance of an appeal, if not better than his.
Even though my deputy head teacher said no to the appeal, could I speak to my subject teacher and see if he could try talk them into it? He thought I was getting an A from day one.
Are you a teacher or something? You seem to answer all my questions! It's appreciated!

Reply 109
[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43866227"]I don't get this though, last year a friend of mines got the same prelim mark and a lower folio mark but he got appealed from a C to an A in the same subject, AN A FROM A C. With that in mind I don't get why I wouldn't have as good a chance of an appeal, if not better than his.
Even though my deputy head teacher said no to the appeal, could I speak to my subject teacher and see if he could try talk them into it? He thought I was getting an A from day one.
Are you a teacher or something? You seem to answer all my questions! It's appreciated!

If you're eligible for an appeal (i.e. you're on the list), then there's nothing you can lose by trying to speak to your teacher and fighting to get an appeal. Get your parents involved if you really want it, but make sure you're on the appeals list first and you're eligible.
Original post by Ecosse_14
If you're eligible for an appeal (i.e. you're on the list), then there's nothing you can lose by trying to speak to your teacher and fighting to get an appeal. Get your parents involved if you really want it, but make sure you're on the appeals list first and you're eligible.

He told me I was not eligible because I got a band 3B and and prelim was a band 2 A, for an appeal you need to apparently have 2 bands between your prelim and exam. But I emailed the sqa asking if I could appeal and they told me I could.

Reply 111
[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43875147"]He told me I was not eligible because I got a band 3B and and prelim was a band 2 A, for an appeal you need to apparently have 2 bands between your prelim and exam. But I emailed the sqa asking if I could appeal and they told me I could.

By asking if you're eligible, I'm asking if you're on the list of candidates who are eligible for an appeal. So, you have to have been predicted an A to get an appeal, which it seems you have been if you got an A in your prelim but it's always worth checking. As I say, if you're eligible, just fight your case if you really want that appeal.
Original post by Ecosse_14
By asking if you're eligible, I'm asking if you're on the list of candidates who are eligible for an appeal. So, you have to have been predicted an A to get an appeal, which it seems you have been if you got an A in your prelim but it's always worth checking. As I say, if you're eligible, just fight your case if you really want that appeal.

When I asked for the appeal, he told me I was not on the list- which is stupid as I was predicated at an A from day one and got an A at the prelim. I also got 55/60 for my folio, which given with my prelim results would give me a Band one 160/200. (He told me 80% was a band one but I'm sure it's 85%). P.s he's not accounting for my folio in the prelim, but is in the final exam. Which is unreliable. When given the folio with my exam results I got 65-69%, but he still states I'm not on the list. Should I fight against it?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 113
[QUOTE="Markmcculloch;43875423"]When I asked for the appeal, he told me I was not on the list- which is stupid as I was predicated at an A from day one and got an A at the prelim. I also got 55/60 for my folio, which given with my prelim results would give me a Band one 160/200. (He told me 80% was a band one but I'm sure it's 85%). P.s he's not accounting for my folio in the prelim, but is in the final exam. Which is unreliable. When given the folio with my exam results I got 65-69%, but he still states I'm not on the list. Should I fight against it?

If you're not on the list then you weren't predicted an A and you can't really fight against it I'm afraid :dontknow: Sorry! :colondollar:
Original post by Apologetic Cube
Have you heard from Asklepios, by the way? Wonder if he got the A's...

Nah, he's busy with real life, atm. Doesn't matter for his future, anyway. He's off to Edinburgh this year even if he failed everything. :smile:
Wouldn't be my place to hand out his exam results even if I knew. :tongue:

Asklepios
x

For reference when you're back.
Very true! I hope he does get the grades, though. There was a guy I saw on STV News the other night who picked up 5 AH A grades and was off to Edinburgh to study Medicine. I don't think it was him, though, as this guy was from Aberdeen. The link is here if you want to see it, fast-forward to 7.10 minutes in.

It's not him. I'll be looking out for wee Alex next year, though. :wink:
Hmm... it'll take a hell of a lot of hard work! Probably a lot more than this year... and I worked pretty hard this year. I suppose the good thing is that I now know how to get into a smooth study rhythm so I can just get going from the off-set. I seemed to spend a lot of last year studying inefficiently until I finally figured out how I learn best.

I'll probably be memorising Biology textbooks like a mad-man out of paranoia :laugh:!

I was actually talking about the Alex in the video... :K:
Reply 117
Hi, can anyone help me with this issue.

So, after sitting my adv maths exam and getting a D, i spoke to my maths teacher about an appeal as I got a B in my prelim, also this was my predicted grade. However, she said she was unable to send evidence (my prelim) away because the SQA had already asked for it due to one of the invigilators submitting a complait due to several noise disturbances during the exam.

Does this mean the SQA has already factored in my prelim score into my final grade?

Thanks for any advice :smile:

-S
Hey guys, for my 5th year exam results for int 2 maths and int 2 english, I got a C for maths and a B for english in the prelim. However for the actual exams I got a D for english and a bad fail for maths, could I appeal for either of them, and if I could, what grades would I get. Thanks :smile:
I thought you didn't get appeals at advanced higher? I'm probably mistaken though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest